Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 pm
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

Terms of Service

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

Terms of Service

Postby Internal Peace on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 am

I have just tried to access the Terms of Service and the thread is blank.

Please could you direct me to them please?

:thumb l:
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Re: Terms of Service

Postby Chrisd on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Maybe that suits a Zen forum :lol2: :lol2:
Chrisd

Postby another_being on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Internal Peace wrote:I have just tried to access the Terms of Service and the thread is blank.

Please could you direct me to them please?

:thumb l:

Funny, I noticed that yesterday as well. Seems like it's 'anything goes' here now.
At any rate, welcome, Internal Peace.

:Namaste:
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby Internal Peace on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Thank you for your welcome.

Apparently this is a 'no holds barred' forum; I do look forward to it.

:dance:
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Postby anka on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Simply be mindful of the vortex.
anka

Postby JessicaLeigh on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:34 am

I like to use this as my personal set of terms for interacting online: :)

http://miahansson.com/15-things-not-to- ... -buddhist/
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andrè Gide
JessicaLeigh

Postby Internal Peace on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:03 pm

JessicaLeigh wrote:I like to use this as my personal set of terms for interacting online: :)

http://miahansson.com/15-things-not-to- ... -buddhist/

Good advice, thank you.
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:45 pm

IP,

Welcome!

Try again. Just click on the "Board Index" tab at the very top LEFT. The first area in the list of areas that is shown will be the "Terms of Service" area, which, when you click on it, will show many threads in that area.

Maybe this just wasn't operating when you tried. I have found that there are sporadically times of latency, when wheels spin without any result (Ha!, no, I'm not trying to speak generally). ;)

Good luck, and again, Welcome!

-Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Internal Peace on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:38 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:IP,

Welcome!

Try again. Just click on the "Board Index" tab at the very top LEFT. The first area in the list of areas that is shown will be the "Terms of Service" area, which, when you click on it, will show many threads in that area.

Maybe this just wasn't operating when you tried. I have found that there are sporadically times of latency, when wheels spin without any result (Ha!, no, I'm not trying to speak generally). ;)

Good luck, and again, Welcome!

-Joe

Thanks Joe, I will try now.
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Postby another_being on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Not sure if Joe tried going through those steps himself, but the TOS aren't there.
There is a "locked" icon to the left of where they should be.
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 am

a_b,

another_being wrote:Not sure if Joe tried going through those steps himself, but the TOS aren't there.
There is a "locked" icon to the left of where they should be.

Yes, when I wrote, and before and afterward, I went through those steps, and the TOS threads were there just as big as life.

THREADS, that is. Discussion threads.

Oh... is there some other area where Terms of Service are either disclosed, stipulated, or discussed? Maybe I missed these, most recently.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:57 am

The moderation guidelines are there. Posted by Carol, not Admin.

Most forums request members address whats said and not the person who said it. The practice without a teacher section has guidelines in the header.
partofit22

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:00 am

So, the Terms of Service is blank as far as I can see... and the Moderator Guidelines only refers to the guidelines which moderators will use if the TOS are not followed... there can be no guidelines if there are no TOS. Perhaps, it's an error that the TOS are not visible... or perhaps, it's up to the participants to treat each other with respect. There has been no visible moderation for some time now... and for the most part, we've treated each other kindly and with respect.... and, sometimes humor. :lol2: As far as I can see, nothing is missing. What a grand experiement!! If I think about it, it's honest... if there is indeed no moderation, then there is no need for TOS.... that's one perspective. If so, it's only us chickens left to care for each other. Perhaps, the time has come.
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Internal Peace on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:02 pm

I have tried again like everyone else, still nothing.
As calm people, I'm sure we'll be fine.
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Postby Carol on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Moderator's Note: You're right. The Terms of Service are missing! I have no idea what happened to them. They were certainly there the last time we looked! We'll have to look back in the archives and see if we can find a copy to repost.

Thanks for your patience while we do that. Basically, the Terms of Service require good etiquette, avoidance of hostile expressions, and PM'ing the moderators with complaints rather than posting them on the open board.

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby Internal Peace on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Carol wrote:Moderator's Note: You're right. The Terms of Service are missing! I have no idea what happened to them. They were certainly there the last time we looked! We'll have to look back in the archives and see if we can find a copy to repost.

Thanks for your patience while we do that. Basically, the Terms of Service require good etiquette, avoidance of hostile expressions, and PM'ing the moderators with complaints rather than posting them on the open board.

~Carol

Wasn't I good preparing to read the rules? :peace:
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Postby another_being on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:13 pm

The link that JessicaLeigh shared is worth a read, worth sharing here, and is amusing as well. I took mental notes. :)

16 things NOT to do if you’re an online Buddhist

1.Preface your ‘helpful’ comment with “I’ve been meditating for 20 years” in order to make people take you seriously. You sitting on your bum, even if it was in a temple, is no guarantee that everything that comes out of your mouth is true. Let people judge what you say on its own merits.
2.Appoint yourself the judge and jury of ethical questions. Ordaining as a Buddhist unfortunately does not automatically make you wiser than anyone else. I think we all know what some Buddhists get up to, including you.
3.Build up your case for the Truth with big fancy arguments. The truth is strong enough to stand on its own. And even if nobody gets it, it’s not like it’s going anywhere.
4.Go out of your way looking for places where you are ‘needed’ to defend Buddhism, your preferred kind of Buddhism, your whole Sangha, and all the little people who don’t seem to be standing up for themselves. This is a false saviour mentality and a helpful distraction from something you really should be doing, which is probably somewhat less heroic, like doing the dishes or walking your dog. Sorry.
5.Say snide things about others, even (especially) anonymously, or on private message to your best buddy.
6.Give personal unsolicited advice. It never, ever, ever, works. Particularly if you think someone needs it. Its real-life equivalent is to march uninvited into someone’s private room and rant at them.
7.Insist on continuing your unsolicited advice when someone starts crying and/or shouting. This can be hard to notice online – please read carefully and err on the side of caution.
8.Defend unsolicited advice with “I was only being helpful”. If people did not find it helpful, you were not helping. Fact.
9.Say “Sorry but” or “I wish you well” (or “metta” or whatever) when you’re actually thinking “what a plonker”. (If you said it straight after unsolicited advice, you definitely didn’t mean it.)
10.Inflate your status by saying that you are great friends with monks, or even worse, by saying that you once were a monk – even if it’s true. Do monks need to preface their teachings with “I am a monk, and I’m great friends with so-and-so”?
11.Comfort yourself that when people don’t recognise you as the second coming, it’s because they are deluded. If nobody’s listening to you, it’s probably because you have poor social skills.
12.Think that being Buddhist is a licence to do away with social niceties such as introducing yourself (what’s the ‘self’ anyway?), caring about hurting others (‘feelings’ aren’t Truth!), and giving compliments (all things are subject to change, so who cares if someone makes an effort to look nice?)
13.Assume that celibacy is a higher calling
14.Assume that sex is a higher calling
15.Be smug that your calling is better than anyone else’s
16.Think that anyone else’s calling is better than yours.

By Mia Hansson
http://miahansson.com/15-things-not-to-do-if-youre-an-online-buddhist/

another_being

Postby Internal Peace on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 am

another_being wrote:The link that JessicaLeigh shared is worth a read, worth sharing here, and is amusing as well. I took mental notes. :)

16 things NOT to do if you’re an online Buddhist

1.Preface your ‘helpful’ comment with “I’ve been meditating for 20 years” in order to make people take you seriously. You sitting on your bum, even if it was in a temple, is no guarantee that everything that comes out of your mouth is true. Let people judge what you say on its own merits.
2.Appoint yourself the judge and jury of ethical questions. Ordaining as a Buddhist unfortunately does not automatically make you wiser than anyone else. I think we all know what some Buddhists get up to, including you.
3.Build up your case for the Truth with big fancy arguments. The truth is strong enough to stand on its own. And even if nobody gets it, it’s not like it’s going anywhere.
4.Go out of your way looking for places where you are ‘needed’ to defend Buddhism, your preferred kind of Buddhism, your whole Sangha, and all the little people who don’t seem to be standing up for themselves. This is a false saviour mentality and a helpful distraction from something you really should be doing, which is probably somewhat less heroic, like doing the dishes or walking your dog. Sorry.
5.Say snide things about others, even (especially) anonymously, or on private message to your best buddy.
6.Give personal unsolicited advice. It never, ever, ever, works. Particularly if you think someone needs it. Its real-life equivalent is to march uninvited into someone’s private room and rant at them.
7.Insist on continuing your unsolicited advice when someone starts crying and/or shouting. This can be hard to notice online – please read carefully and err on the side of caution.
8.Defend unsolicited advice with “I was only being helpful”. If people did not find it helpful, you were not helping. Fact.
9.Say “Sorry but” or “I wish you well” (or “metta” or whatever) when you’re actually thinking “what a plonker”. (If you said it straight after unsolicited advice, you definitely didn’t mean it.)
10.Inflate your status by saying that you are great friends with monks, or even worse, by saying that you once were a monk – even if it’s true. Do monks need to preface their teachings with “I am a monk, and I’m great friends with so-and-so”?
11.Comfort yourself that when people don’t recognise you as the second coming, it’s because they are deluded. If nobody’s listening to you, it’s probably because you have poor social skills.
12.Think that being Buddhist is a licence to do away with social niceties such as introducing yourself (what’s the ‘self’ anyway?), caring about hurting others (‘feelings’ aren’t Truth!), and giving compliments (all things are subject to change, so who cares if someone makes an effort to look nice?)
13.Assume that celibacy is a higher calling
14.Assume that sex is a higher calling
15.Be smug that your calling is better than anyone else’s
16.Think that anyone else’s calling is better than yours.

By Mia Hansson
http://miahansson.com/15-things-not-to-do-if-youre-an-online-buddhist/

Very good guidelines; thanks for sharing them. :Namaste:
Internal Peace
Internal Peace

Return to Feedback & Support