Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 pm
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

Do Bots/Spiders Inflate View Count?

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

Do Bots/Spiders Inflate View Count?

Postby pudgala2 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:58 pm

I started reposting here because Sevidal copied and pasted two of my postings from another site more than a year ago.

Since the two threads I subsequently started here got negative, dismissive, or disruptive replies and the contents of my postings are at odds with the “conversational tone” of this forum I decided to stop posting again—my postings really don’t fit in here.

But the number of views for my ignored threads keep growing and are surprisingly high and I would like to know why. This has happened at other Buddhist/Zen forums—my postings are ignored and/or actively resented by posters/monitors but continue to get a lot of views but no bots or spiders where listed at these forums.

The number of users online at Zen Forum International is usually very low and include 3 or 4 bots/spiders listed as Registered users. Do the bots/spiders effect the view count each time they scurry through a site and automatically run the number of views up giving the illusion that somebody is actually viewing the threads?

And what is the point of these bots/spiders? Are they just part of an mindless loop of data collection or is there any kind of human interest at their source?

Any knowledgeable reply would be appreciated.

Thank you,

pudgala2
Poetic justice—deserving to be the karmic character YOU habitually practice being—until YOU stop it.

pudgala2

Re: Do Bots/Spiders Inflate View Count?

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:08 am

Hi pudgala,

I doubt bots/spiders look within threads, at least I never saw them, so no count inflation from them.
Guests visit the forum all of the time and can click at random, I myself mindlessly click about the forum all the time without even reading topics when I'm working behind the pc, for instance during online auctions in between pieces of non interest, or while watching sport streams and a few more things like that. I wouldn't grant to much value at the nr of clicks, at least I never notice the nr of views on topics, just blind clicking and ocassional reading and typing. A view doesn't mean words are actually read, sometimes I just click to see the specifics of certain member who peeks my interest.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:19 am

P.,

I'd say that logic would support and advance the view that the spider-ings and bot-views are indiscriminate, and that their programming mindlessly insists that they re-visit all previous views and spider-ings, in search of changes.

The reason for this is that many or most sites have totally changeable content. Thus, no stone must be left unturned, even if it becomes tediously repetitive in the search, and no changes are found.

The fact is that posts here at ZFI can usually be edited for a few days after posting, anyway (but no longer than that, following that short window).

Logic, again, would support that your posts have been fingered and spidered and bot-viewed by software, and not by putative pudgalas. Thus, I feel, there is no reason to indulge to bolster your ego with regard to the "bot"-regard mechanically paid to the old and otherwise humanly-ignored posts earlier lodged here.

Well, but see what may change, if you change.

I speak not as an IT expert, so much, as a Logician. :heya:

rgds,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:35 pm

desert_woodworker wrote: fingered and spidered and bot-viewed

My nightly dream are weird enough as they are already Joe, this might make them even more "fun"
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Return to Feedback & Support