Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 am
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

New Teachers for "Ask a Teacher"

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

New Teachers for "Ask a Teacher"

Postby maaeso on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Would it be possible for someone to reach out to:

1. Shoryu Bradley of Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America.

2. Shohaku Okumura Roshi of Sanshin Zen Community.

3. Muhō Noelke of Antai-ji Temple in Japan.

I think it would be nice to have the Kodo Sawaki-Kosho Uchiyama lineage represented more firmly and that heavy Zazen emphasis perspective.
maaeso

Re: New Teachers for "Ask a Teacher"

Postby maaeso on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:55 pm

There is also:

1. Hōkō Karnegis who is a fresh face in some ways for the lineage. She will be assuming Shohaku Okumura Roshi's role when he retires.

2. Shotai de la Rosa, excellent student of Shohaku Okumura Roshi, Co-founder of Colombia Soto Zen Community. She has a good knowledge of Theravada as well. In particular Thai Forest I believe.

I believe Shoryu Bradley of Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America may be open to helping though I know he is very busy helping with Shohaku Okumura Roshi's writings, the heavy practice of Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery, and speaking/travel engagements.
maaeso

Postby jundo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 am

Hi,

Those would all be great additions, and I do believe in the past that I have encouraged such folks and others to join in here through the SZBA. However, most are very busy.

I am afraid that you are stuck with me for now as the only person generally from that corner of Soto Zen.

Gassho, Jundo
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby maaeso on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 am

jundo wrote:Hi,

Those would all be great additions, and I do believe in the past that I have encouraged such folks and others to join in here through the SZBA. However, most are very busy.

I am afraid that you are stuck with me for now as the only person generally from that corner of Soto Zen.

Gassho, Jundo

That is hardly a bad thing :)

I would encourage the forum owners to reach out though, like I said maybe they could convince Shoryu Bradley or Hoko as the two big Dharma heirs of Okumura Roshi to be present a little bit of the time. :O:
maaeso

Postby Nothing on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I think it will be nice to have teachers from the the Thien and Seon schools
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:27 pm

I'll be meeting Losang Gendun the first week of September in Amsterdam, I might ask him depending on the vicissitudes of the talk.

Who knows. :)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Caodemarte on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:59 pm

From the website Lonsang Gendrun has no experience in Zen and is not a Zen teacher. "Ask the Teacher" really means "Ask the Zen Teacher" in a ZFI context if you look at the qualifications. It might be great if he participated here as a forum member, but he should not be implicitly advertised as a Zen Buddhist teacher.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby maaeso on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Who approaches teachers and such for that section?
maaeso

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Caodemarte wrote:From the website Lonsang Gendrun has no experience in Zen and is not a Zen teacher. "Ask the Teacher" really means "Ask the Zen Teacher" in a ZFI context if you look at the qualifications. It might be great if he participated here as a forum member, but he should not be implicitly advertised as a Zen Buddhist teacher.

20 years experience in Theravada and 12 years in Mahayana and new teacher of the Maitreya institute in Amsterdam I'd say he's qualified lol. Since a lot of teachers questions here are mostly from beginners and not all questions are about technical "zen" thingies I think any teacher from any tradition in Mahayana is an asset to this forum. Besides after years of talking with Dzogen practosioners for instance I dont see how a Zen teacher would necessarely be more qualified to adress questions of members then a Tibetian teacher.

But ok I didn't know non-zen teacher were excluded from this forum.

ps he studied 8 years in Nalanda, France to under several teachers including the Dalai Lama
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Caodemarte on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 pm

maaeso wrote:Who approaches teachers and such for that section?

To be frank I think it is more of a question "Who is willing,interested, and qualified, to do so?"
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Caodemarte on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 pm

fukasetsu wrote:.....20 years experience in Theravada and 12 years in Mahayana and new teacher of the Maitreya institute in Amsterdam I'd say he's qualified lol. Since a lot of teachers questions here are mostly from beginners and not all questions are about technical "zen" thingies I think any teacher from any tradition in Mahayana is an asset to this forum. Besides after years of talking with Dzogen practosioners for instance I dont see how a Zen teacher would necessarely be more qualified to adress questions of members then a Tibetian teacher.

ps he studied 8 years in Nalanda, France to under several teachers including the Dalai Lama

He is not excluded from ZFI, but rather welcome to discuss Zen in the forum. Any teacher would be an asset to us all. However, the "Ask a Teacher" section is explicitly defined on Zen Forum International as the one place where Zen teachers, and only Zen teachers, can respond to people who want to ask Zen teachers, and only Zen teachers, questions related to Zen and get a response from a Zen teacher perspective. Anybody who follows the normal rules of the forum can partipate in the other threads about Zen practice and again a Buddhist teacher would be great.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 pm

I didn't know that was a rule, thanks for clearing that up.
Won't ask him as a regular member, would be disrespectful for me to do so.

ps mentioning France was because I thought you were mac, since you're red now. :lol2:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby maaeso on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Caodemarte wrote:

To be frank I think it is more of a question "Who is willing,interested, and qualified, to do so?"

Than I think the team should email Shoryu Bradley and Hoko and see which would take it on. I have a feeling Shoryu and or Hoko might though they are busy.

Pitch it as something they can do whenever they feel free to do it so they don't feel like they are taking on a big commitment.
maaeso

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:59 pm

I miss Nonin Roshi's presence. He was active here, very active. His message did not vary very much. I have many bows for him.

May his Retirement be the greatest! And may his Art burgeon. Green shoots always!

--Joe

:rbow: :rbow: :rbow:
desert_woodworker

Postby jundo on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:41 am

fukasetsu wrote:
Caodemarte wrote:From the website Lonsang Gendrun has no experience in Zen and is not a Zen teacher. "Ask the Teacher" really means "Ask the Zen Teacher" in a ZFI context if you look at the qualifications. It might be great if he participated here as a forum member, but he should not be implicitly advertised as a Zen Buddhist teacher.

20 years experience in Theravada and 12 years in Mahayana and new teacher of the Maitreya institute in Amsterdam I'd say he's qualified lol. Since a lot of teachers questions here are mostly from beginners and not all questions are about technical "zen" thingies I think any teacher from any tradition in Mahayana is an asset to this forum. Besides after years of talking with Dzogen practosioners for instance I dont see how a Zen teacher would necessarely be more qualified to adress questions of members then a Tibetian teacher.

I believe that "Zen Teacher" should mean a teacher of some flavor of what is Zen Buddhism, for purposes of this esteemed forum. Someone may be an excellent teacher of Dzogen or Theravada, but not a Zen teacher or very aware of Zen Buddhism's special ways. The above comment, in my view, shows one of the problems around here, an unfortunate lack of clarity on why and what this means. Not all cows are horses, the absolute view aside.

Gassho, J
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Jundo I simply wasn't aware of the rules, as I said not all the posts in the teachers section are all related to a specific flavour, and a teacher who has a very wide range of teachings for all sort of "problems" in life I thought to be an asset. I never said he was a Zen Teacher. Lack of clarity has nothing to do with this, cao already explained that the section means asking a Zen teacher, so no problem.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Caodemarte on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:11 pm

maaeso wrote:
Caodemarte wrote:

Than I think the team should email Shoryu Bradley and Hoko and see which would take it on. I have a feeling Shoryu and or Hoko might though they are busy.

Pitch it as something they can do whenever they feel free to do it so they don't feel like they are taking on a big commitment.

Please see Jundo's posting above about his efforts in the Soto Zen teachers' association. Although I am just a lowly volunteer moderator, I think that if you know a recognized Zen teacher in a recognized lineage I don't think anyone would object if you asked them, they were interested, and you put them in direct contact with ZFI to discuss it. Bear in mind that a recognized lineage usually means a generally recognized and previously established line, there are few such people, and there are even fewer who can take on additional burdens. That is another reason we should be very grateful to those that have.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby maaeso on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
maaeso wrote:
Caodemarte wrote:

Please see Jundo's posting above about his efforts in the Soto Zen teachers' association. Although I am just a lowly volunteer moderator, I think that if you know a recognized Zen teacher in a recognized lineage I don't think anyone would object if you asked them, they were interested, and you put them in direct contact with ZFI to discuss it. Bear in mind that a recognized lineage usually means a generally recognized and previously established line, there are few such people, and there are even fewer who can take on additional burdens. That is another reason we should be very grateful to those that have.

Very true,

Who would they contact if they were willing to do this?
maaeso

Postby Caodemarte on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

maaeso wrote:... Who would they contact if they were willing to do this?

Many ways: Send a message to Feedback and Support, contact the board directly, send a PM to any moderator and it will be forwarded.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Avisitor on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Rather than ask for new teachers
I would like to thank all the teachers who take time out of their schedule to be available here
And respond to those of us who need guidance

Sometimes it may not seem like the right answer to us
But, it was what we needed at the time

Thank you, all.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Next

Return to Feedback & Support