Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum ASK A TEACHER

spaceless and timeless far away sight

A place exclusively to ask a Zen teacher a question. Questions for this forum are approved before posting and so will not appear immediately.

Moderator: Teacher

spaceless and timeless far away sight

Postby strings on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:13 am

i wonder if there is a specific way (or meditation) to reach spaceless and timeless state
(i experienced a no tought no sound no space no time moment while i was in hospital after being inyected with something and put to sleep but i was awake inside)

also i know time stretch can be done while being awake
one day i was jugglin and i could see the maces floatin in air way more than usual i could held this for like 5 seconds then i feel a "buzz high" and i stoped cuz it could be dangerous

other thing is "far away sight" one day i could see and object very far away that seemed like it was right in front of me and i could apreciate the details a lot more
seein blue / gray "aliens" and shadow "people" and "noise giants"
or seein "White plasma" like flowin in the air near my hands while i was playin music
there is a lot more .. but i came here to ask if anyone knows about books or "practices" that talk about any of those things i mentioned
i would like to disscuss this kind of things because i dont know whats goin on xD
strings

Re: spaceless and timeless far away sight

Postby Caodemarte on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Any such experience is probably meaningless in terms of Zen practice, but may be very meaningful from a medical perspective. You may have sensory disturbance that may be caused by any number of causes, some serious (some not), I urge you to get this checked out by a qualified medical person.

"Never allow yourself to fall into the dazzling experiences that arise from your sensory gates. Why? Because your eighth consciousness has not yet been crushed, so whatever you experience or do will be [conditioned] by your [deluded] consciousness and senses. If you think that this [consciousness] is real, then it is like mistaking a thief to be your own son."

Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners
By Master Hanshan Deqing [1546-1623]
http://purifymind.com/PracticeBegin.htm
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby jundo on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Caodemarte wrote:Any such experience is probably meaningless in terms of Zen practice, but may be very meaningful from a medical perspective. You may have sensory disturbance that may be caused by any number of causes, some serious (some not), I urge you to get this checked out by a qualified medical person.

"Never allow yourself to fall into the dazzling experiences that arise from your sensory gates. Why? Because your eighth consciousness has not yet been crushed, so whatever you experience or do will be [conditioned] by your [deluded] consciousness and senses. If you think that this [consciousness] is real, then it is like mistaking a thief to be your own son."

Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners
By Master Hanshan Deqing [1546-1623]
http://purifymind.com/PracticeBegin.htm

I second what is written here.

There may be corners of Buddhist or other meditation Practice that encourage such experiences, and they inform us of the fluid nature of the mind and perception, but it is not something typically encouraged in the corner of Buddhist practice where i play (except as perhaps an interesting glimpse into that mental fluidity). Before that, however, best to be cautious about some possible medical explanation, as advised above.

Gassho, Jundo
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby Guo Gu on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:55 pm

strings wrote:i wonder if there is a specific way (or meditation) to reach spaceless and timeless state
(i experienced a no tought no sound no space no time moment while i was in hospital after being inyected with something and put to sleep but i was awake inside)

also i know time stretch can be done while being awake
one day i was jugglin and i could see the maces floatin in air way more than usual i could held this for like 5 seconds then i feel a "buzz high" and i stoped cuz it could be dangerous

other thing is "far away sight" one day i could see and object very far away that seemed like it was right in front of me and i could apreciate the details a lot more
seein blue / gray "aliens" and shadow "people" and "noise giants"
or seein "White plasma" like flowin in the air near my hands while i was playin music
there is a lot more .. but i came here to ask if anyone knows about books or "practices" that talk about any of those things i mentioned
i would like to disscuss this kind of things because i dont know whats goin on xD

dear strings,

do you have a teacher? if not, it's best to find one bcuz these things are not learned from books. the abhidharma-kosa discuss them, as well as other buddhist meditation manuals. in order to interpret them one needs a qualified teacher who has had these experiences to help guide you. also, others have already warned you of the dangers of these experiences. a good teacher can distinguish btn madness and sanity, illusions vs. spiritual boons, which are side effects of practice not to attach to, as they bear no relevance to being free from vexations.

just a quick note though, the key is samadhi. when the mind is unified in different depths, different dimensions of the mind's capacity open up. most times, ppl who experience these phenomena stumble on them haphazardly--in this sense, they are either indications of a flaw in their neurological pathways or signs of good karmic roots from the past. as side effects of practice, they are quite normal. you're obviously captivated by these experiences, but it's safer not to reify them into anything special.

be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Return to ASK A TEACHER