Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum ASK A TEACHER

Practice in a community- Jundo

A place exclusively to ask a Zen teacher a question. Questions for this forum are approved before posting and so will not appear immediately.

Moderator: Teacher

Practice in a community- Jundo

Postby Guish on Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Teachers,

I have been practising sitting meditation for a while without having had a formal training or a teacher. I have been reading zen books, meditating and bringing zen in my activities. I introduced myself a while back and Jundo posted in it. There's no Zen community where I live and I just saw that Jundo promotes online Sanghas. That is a wonderful idea. A friend of mine, who was a student of late Barry Long, told me that the right master comes at the right time. I think this forum has come at the right time for me.

Greetings,
:Namaste:
Guish

Re: Practice in a community- Jundo

Postby jundo on Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 am

Guish wrote:Hi Teachers,

I have been practising sitting meditation for a while without having had a formal training or a teacher. I have been reading zen books, meditating and bringing zen in my activities. I introduced myself a while back and Jundo posted in it. There's no Zen community where I live and I just saw that Jundo promotes online Sanghas. That is a wonderful idea. A friend of mine, who was a student of late Barry Long, told me that the right master comes at the right time. I think this forum has come at the right time for me.

Greetings,
:Namaste:

Hi,

This is Jundo, and let me be the first to say what a great guy and wonderful teacher that Jundo guy is. Funny and handsome too I really can't recommended him strongly enough. :hide:

Seriously, not all teachers resonate with everyone, and different folks have different chemistry. But, for all the discussion in this ZFI place over the years on "practice without a teacher," I cannot say enough what a questionable idea that is ... at least for most people. About the same as trying to teach oneself Karate or high diving without a coach. Possible, but why would one not want some light guidance from an experienced eye looking for the side, and a supporting team of Sangha supporters? Of course, we each have to do all the heavy lifting (and diving) ourselves, but easy to lose direction without some guides to keep things in a good direction, especially with this sometimes extremely "free form" practice (Frankly, I believe a lot of the tendency shown at ZFI and other places on the Buddhist internet for folks to be all over the place, and running around in the practice like headless chickens, is due to this).

Even the historical Buddha had a variety of Teachers, do not forget. Sure, in the end, he sat himself under a tree ... but it is said that it comes after several lifetimes of teachers and trees. In any case, for every case of a "natural" who can teach themselves completely, there are a whole bunch of headless chickens.

Gassho, J

SatToday
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Re: Practice in a community- Jundo

Postby Guish on Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Dear Jundo,

Thank you for the response. It has been a pleasure meeting you. I'll join the online Sangha. On the island, there are only Reiki and Yoga practitioners. Zen is unknown. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Regards,
Geerish.
Guish

Return to ASK A TEACHER