Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:05 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum ASK A TEACHER

Anchor when meditating

A place exclusively to ask a Zen teacher a question. Questions for this forum are approved before posting and so will not appear immediately.

Moderator: Teacher

Anchor when meditating

Postby skelly64 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 am

Hi,
My name is Shane. I have been doing mindfulness meditation for the past 4 months as instructed by a Korean Zen nun... When i first attended I was counting breaths however I was encouraged to forget breath counting and be mindful of my six senses... observing everything but not clinging to anything.. I found this difficult at first however after a period of time it started to feel right... I was doing this for 20 mins everyday and two 30min sits once a week. Recently I joined a formal Zen group and have completed the introductory course.. I have been instructed by the teacher to count breaths up to 10 then start again etc.. So my question is.. breath counting or mindfulness ? Is breath counting a formal practice of Zen ?
Kind Regards
skelly64

Re: Anchor when meditating

Postby jundo on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Shane,

I think these things vary from Tradition to Tradition, group to group and Teacher to Teacher. All have their own style. Breath counting or following is a fundamental introductory Practice in many or most groups to build some basic concentration (and breath following is practiced by some folks for a lifetime. It is a Practice of great richness that many people come back to from time to time, especially when the mind is very over-active.

Besides that, I cannot really advice you (perhaps one of the other Teachers here can), as we sit Shikantaza (a kind of Open Non-Judgmental Awareness). I have our folks follow the breath for a time, gradually transitioning to that. However, that is just our way. You really have to consult with the Teacher in the place you are Practicing.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Re: Anchor when meditating

Postby skelly64 on Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Thanks Jundo, its starting to make sense now. Ive decided to just have faith in the process and see what happens.

Regards
Shane
skelly64

Return to ASK A TEACHER