Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:35 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum ASK A TEACHER

The reams here?

A place exclusively to ask a Zen teacher a question. Questions for this forum are approved before posting and so will not appear immediately.

Moderator: Teacher

The reams here?

Postby JohnG on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:52 am

Forgive me, I haven't been here for awhile, so if this question was asked please disregard. But, as I see the world around me, I see the realms of the Bardo. The hungry ghosts, those who seek to quell their hunger at the cost of others, the brute realm, those who continually see war and violence, and so on. Am I in error?

I am a retired police office, and did spend 17 years in the military, so, is this normal? :cry:
JohnG

Re: The reams here?

Postby Meido on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Both approaches to the teaching of the Six Paths or Realms are useful and do not not negate one another (that is, the Six Paths as a teaching revealing permutations of existence we could experience life after life, and also describing our experience as we arise moment by moment throughout the day enmeshed with habitual delusion). These are not different teachings. Torei says it this way:

At the beginning [of one's training], owing to the one delusion, the True Nature which should face inward is made to circle outwardly in the Six Paths: of hell, hungry ghosts, animals, demons, people, and heavens. This is not just a question of rebirth. In one single day here people are rising and sinking in it. When the heart is right and avoids wrong, that is existing as a human. When others oppose one and hatred arises, that is the demon realm. When one has sticking attachment for what one likes, he becomes a hungry ghost. When the heart gets stuck in fixating on material things, one is in the animal realm. If attachment is strong, if the flames of anger do not cease, then this is hell. All this is losing the path of humanity. When the heart is peaceful and not thinking of material things, there is inner purity. Now, though in a human body, the heart is said to be sporting in heaven. But in general, people do not realize how they are circling about in these states during a single day.

From the standpoint of practice, though, there's no need to view or classify the world around us in any particular way according to realms, bardos, etc. If our own seeing is purified, then even in a hellish place like a war zone or a neighborhood afflicted with violence, we may arise within a Pure Land. If we have not yet reached that point, we could at least just enter straightforwardly into the circumstances we meet without conceptual fixation. Then, wherever our activities take us, there is a chance we will be able to help the people there instead of being caught up in the projection of whatever realm they are sharing.

~ Meido
明道禅徹
The Rinzai Zen Community: http://www.rinzaizen.org
Korinji monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺]: http://www.korinji.org
Madison Rinzai Zen Community/Ryugen-ji [機山龍源寺]: http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
http://rinzaiheartland.blogspot.com
Meido
Teacher

Postby JohnG on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 am

Thank you. :O:
JohnG

Postby Lunarious1987 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks first. Are Ashuras from hell?
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby Guo Gu on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 am

JohnG wrote:Forgive me, I haven't been here for awhile, so if this question was asked please disregard. But, as I see the world around me, I see the realms of the Bardo. The hungry ghosts, those who seek to quell their hunger at the cost of others, the brute realm, those who continually see war and violence, and so on. Am I in error?

I am a retired police office, and did spend 17 years in the military, so, is this normal? :cry:

dear john,
thanks for your question. no you're not in err. it is what you see now.
but know that what you see changes; and things are not what they seem. when conditions change (our mood, us gaining new understanding, us trying to see others from their perspective, etc.), we see thing differently. also, in time, what we think we saw changes in retrospect.
what is important amidst this change is to recognize the positive side of things (i know sometimes it can be hard)... at least see the potential in everyone to be good, and what each of us can do in our own way to bring that out the goodness in ourselves and others.
this we cannot give up... cannot give up on humanity. if we do, we also give up on ourselves, our potential.
i have a student who's also a retired police office and was also in the military. due to his conditioning, he used to see things similar to what you describe. through practice, he was slowly able to see goodness in others and himself.
conditions change, perceptions change.
may you continue your practice.
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby JohnG on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:00 am

Thank you, and thank you for reminding me I'm not alone in this. All is change, and we must bring change in one form or another. :O:
JohnG

Return to ASK A TEACHER