Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum ASK A TEACHER

Ego.

A place exclusively to ask a Zen teacher a question. Questions for this forum are approved before posting and so will not appear immediately.

Moderator: Teacher

Ego.

Postby miles of smiles on Tue May 26, 2015 1:23 am

My question is this -

Are we to, as Zen practitioners, actively work to annihilate the ego? Or simply observe it in its various forms while passively allowing practice to eventually (hopefully) dissipate/dissolve it? As my (admittedly relatively new) practice heats up, I find that I notice more and more how it comes into play in my life in a variety of destructive ways.

Though I am not a particularly (though, I admit I have my moments, lol) vain or proud person, ego manifests in my experience mostly through excessive timidity, social avoidance, impatience, and a ruthlessly self-critical streak, etc. (There is a list that would take up too much bandwidth, lol, but you see my point).

I knew, I suppose, but never really gave much thought as to how these qualities too, are functions of ego. Now I'm observing how much ego delusion is running the show in my life. So, I ask this question because the way I go about working on getting past it is going to be different depending on the answer.

I will assuredly bring this up with my teacher, but I won't get to see him until next week. However, I have taken this week off from work and was hoping to use this quiet time to intensify my practice.

Any and all input will be seriously considered and deeply appreciated.
Thank you, truly.

mOs
miles of smiles

Re: Ego.

Postby Judy Roitman on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:55 am

Can't annihilate it, nope. No need to annihilate it. It's great that you can see how identifying with it causes trouble. It's great that you see how it creates delusion. Can you see that it's a construct? Useful at times. Can you use it instead of being used by it?

Zen means seeing clearly what/who we are. No need to get rid of anything. Just deeply perceive your true nature. Then you can act clearly and with true compassion. You can make good use of everything, even the mess of stuff that our minds organize into the construct: ego.
Judy Roitman (Zen Master Bon Hae), Kansas Zen Center, Kwan Um School of Zen
www.kansaszencenter.org
Judy Roitman
Teacher

Postby miles of smiles on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:16 pm

I want to not reply per se, but just to quickly say thank you and quietly allow the rest of your words to sink in.
Thank you. Your reply means the world to me. Please know how truly grateful l am to you.

Gassho.
miles of smiles

Postby Judy Roitman on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:56 pm

And thank you. Good luck.
Judy Roitman (Zen Master Bon Hae), Kansas Zen Center, Kwan Um School of Zen
www.kansaszencenter.org
Judy Roitman
Teacher

Return to ASK A TEACHER