Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:24 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sŏn

Kwan seum bosal mantra

Discussions of Korean 선종 / Sŏn / Seon / Soen Buddhism.

Kwan seum bosal mantra

Postby Greggorious on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 am

I went to a Kwan um group and the teacher asked me to repeat the mantra 'Kwan seum Bosal' while in meditation. I won't see her again for 3 weeks though as she's in korea, but she's told me to do this daily as well as prostrastions, which I'm finding really difficult and not sure if I should be? I can't get from my knees on the ground back up to my feet without the aid of using my arms to get me back up. I've sent her an e mail about this but not sure if she'll get it.
Anyway with the mantra should the 'Kwan seum' be on the in breath and 'Bosal' on the out breath?
Greggorious

Re: Kwan seum bosal mantra

Postby SonofRage on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm a student in the Kwan Um School (five precepts) and not a teacher, so take this advice with that in mind.

For me, where in the breath you say it is not important. You can say it after your out break, or before your in breath. You can say it in the way you described.

I do think it's important however to try and breath naturally. What can happens sometimes with a mantra is that, when you sync your breathing with it, is that if you start saying the mantra faster, you start breathing faster. You don't want to hyperventilate. :PP:

Also, you may want to take a look at this:

http://www.kwanumzen.org/teachers-and-t ... s/sitting/

You also mention prostrations. If it's difficult for you, but not causing you any pain (like if you had a bad back or knees or something) then struggling with it a little is OK. Just do them slowly and mindfully. As you do them more, you will build up strength and get easier.
SonofRage

Re: Kwan seum bosal mantra

Postby nowornever on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 am

I did 500 prostrations yesterday and each time I used my arms.
I think it is all right.
nowornever

Return to Sŏn