Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sŏn

Korean MU different from Japanese MU

Discussions of Korean 선종 / Sŏn / Seon / Soen Buddhism.

Korean MU different from Japanese MU

Postby nowornever on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am

Once I listened or read something from Seung Sahn ZM talking about a more important MU in Rinzai than it is in Kwan Um.
Do you know anything about it?
nowornever

Re: Korean MU different from Japanese MU

Postby Jok_Hae on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

ZM Seung Sahn's view of the kong an was that the focus is on why Joju asked the question (hence the way the checking questions are framed), instead of just saying "mu" without a sense of questioning mind. I don't think it is really a big deal and is more of a semantics thing than anything else. That's just my opinion, of course. I believe the Rinzai folks put a very strong emphasis on "Mu" in the beginning, as means of attaining satori. Certainly, we have enough Rinzai people around here who can correct me if I am wrong. It seems that ZM Seung Sahn didn't agree with that approach, but i think that far too much has been made over time of his view on this. I think it was kind of one-off comment that morphed into a doctrinal idea. ZM Seung Sahn only taught don't know, not holding any kong an.

Good luck and thanks for practicing,
Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Return to Sŏn