Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Mahayana Buddhism

Is the buddhahood-in-this-lifetime concept dangerous?

Discussion of general East-Asian Mahayana Buddhism, Sutras & Shastras.

Re: Is the buddhahood-in-this-lifetime concept dangerous?

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Why is enlightement not objectivity Gou Gu? Enlightement cannot be fathomed, likewise objectivity which goes in mysterious ways. In islam, we use the prayer beeds to determine Gods and Allahs will of us (in important matters where we are not sure) and let the objective numbers guide us. Allah guides us thrugh objectivity, its called something this practise but I don't remember. WHen we are sure of what we want then we chose ourselves according to the guidelines, which is just being yourself.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby Avisitor on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Einstein once said that God does not throw dice or something like that
Anyway, the point is that anyone can be wrong ... hahaha

Note: many times it is me who is wrong or wronged
but, life has been good.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby Lunarious1987 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:13 pm

We have to almost reject life, and Allah is always right and never treats his servants and people unjustly, with his wisdom.

Peace
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby Avisitor on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:55 am

Sorry but this is a section for general Buddhist discussion.
Please no A... here.
Respect the forum.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:28 pm

The mala, or Buddhist rosary bead string, has 108 beads. The number 108 is characteristic in Buddhism. And (probably not coincidentally), the Hindu mala also has 108 beads.

I note that in Islam, the Wahhabi sect (begun in Arabia about 1730) does not use the prayer beads, or subha (misbaha, or masbaha [Arabic: مسبحة ]. The Wahhabi sect also eschews the use of tobacco, jewels, silk, gold, and the rosary ( ...and abominates them).

I think that the Muslim rosary has 99 beads (one for each name of God).

As in the practice of continuous japa in Hindu circles, some in Islam use the rosary in daily life for the exquisite practice of "prayer without ceasing". This can lead to mystic ecstasy, and a stability within that ecstasy. The Sufi sect uses other practices -- involving primarily body and breath -- for that same attainment.

But I would not say "mystic ecstasy" is identical with the topic of this thread: "buddhahood-in-this-lifetime", nor simply with awakening, for the reason that the work with the beads, and the concomitant activity of praying, is still a deliberate practice, and is not (yet) a natural return to, nor the spontaneous uncovering of, one's original face, with the simultaneous dawning of Emptiness, and of the resource of true-Wisdom (prajna), and true-Compassion (karuna), plus ...the attainment of freedom and ease of body and mind. For those consummations, we are advised to see a Buddhist teacher, from whom to learn and with whom to begin correct practice, and have our awakening be tested for genuineness and thoroughness. And, to continue practice (albeit differently, after awakening).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Tony,

TonyD wrote:What do you think? Is the Buddhahood here-and-now concept a little too advanced for some people?

Evidently -- and, as you point out -- the concept (and the fact or genuine reality behind it) can be not suited for some people.

The reason is that their practice cannot support its eventuation. And their practice cannot support it because their practice is not correct in the first place, nor sufficient in intensity, nor coexisting with conducive surroundings (causes and conditions, and The Paramitas).

One can however definitely work diligently on all the elements that support practice, as well as practice itself (practices themselves... ) , with a proper teacher of the Buddhist sect or school that most attracts you.

But I don't think the concept itself is "dangerous", which is what you ask. Not with proper and correct instruction and guidance.

What IS dangerous -- I would say -- is to remain in this life unawakened, engendering and spewing harm everywhere, in one's blindness about what this life actually is.

I.e., to remain in this life unawakened is dangerous for oneself and others.

This, for some, should be -- and is -- a sharp inducement to practice.

Master Dogen says,

"Let me respectfully remind you: /
    Life and Death are of supreme importance /
    Time quickly passes by, and opportunity is lost /
    Each of us should endeavor to Awaken, awaken! /
    Take heed, do not squander this precious Human life."
(Thus we see that 'even' a Soto master and Soto reformer could emphasize the import and urgency of awakening, and not just the Rinzai people). ;)

best,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:19 am

Lunarious1987 wrote:We have to almost reject life, and Allah is always right and never treats his servants and people unjustly, with his wisdom.

Peace

Allah is just a concept in your head, just as Buddha/Jesus or whatever is to others.
If ppl can't use their own wisdom, they talk about wisdom from hearsay, grow some balls and use your own wisdom, instead of what you've ever been told or taught, otherwise its just conventional, cultural, hearsay, derived from outside of yourself.
wake the fuck up man.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby Guo Gu on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:59 am

joe, i say "socially' because ppl link up buddhahood in one's life time with corruption of teachers.
lunar, i say "objectively" because in truth when ppl say "objectivity" they just mean a consensus of ppl's subjective views--there's no such thing as objectivity. randomness or leaving things to chance is just oblivion.
as for the rest of the -llys in the list above, if we don't understand them, it's ok. they're just words anyway...
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:25 am

Go Gu, in electronics AFAIK and remember, there are two kinds of flip-flops (components). One predictable, and the other not so, you can use it. For gambling machines and simulators for example.

Also Hegel and Marx had a theory they called Dialectics, it is: 1 thesis plus 2 antithesis leads closer to the truth (objectivity) called synthesis. And in turn two synthesises leads to a fusion and even closer to the truth. In Islam, the ultimate truth has been reached, in the highest mountain and the deepest sea, and the wombs dynamics, it is just a secret now. Because Allah doesnt want to rush it, because he has gives humans free will, the chose when they are ready. Knock and you shall find (to everone else).

Peace
Lunarious1987

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:03 am

Guo Gu,

Guo Gu wrote:joe, i say "socially' because ppl link up buddhahood in one's life time with corruption of teachers.

Thank you! I never knew this. And never guessed it (about some people's notions of teachers).

I take the simple definition: awakening means Buddhahood. I may be wrong about that.

But Shakyamuni only said that he "is Awake".

To be realized in one's lifetime seems to me to be the start, and culmination, of a life. No complaints. ;) And massively much gratitude to one's Shifu and Sangha, and the Ancestors. Immeasurable, and inexpressible gratitude. "All" we can do to pay them back is to help others.

:Namaste:,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Previous

Return to Mahayana Buddhism