Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Chán

Map of Consciousness

Discussion of Chinese Chán (禪) Buddhism.

Map of Consciousness

Postby deci belle on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Someone posted a cool "map" (the Hawkins Scale of Consciousness), and noted that he wondered where he is, relative to the categorical permutations and hierarchical organization of the document.

The good news is that there is no end to any categorical point in terms of the “map”.

I used to wonder myself, especially after dropping off the bottom of the bucket. I had no one to tell, or ask. Ineffable wonder is the best recourse, at any rate, to assuage these existential conundrums. One is at once everywhere and nowhere, by degree.

In terms of the overall scheme of things, each point on the map is infinitely expansive or contractive— as in the Doppler-effect, or a Mac computer’s “genie effect”. In the ultimate sense, no-self is; enlightenment’s ineffable, pure consciousness rests at the cusp of potential’s utter fulfillment on the verge of going into action in perpetuity. This state is invariably absolute, in terms of essence.

In terms of life, one’s attention rests in the incipient point of illumination called the pivot of awareness where one’s posture of psychological/nonpsychological equipoise rides on spontaneous sensing: balanced and harmonious in turn; one’s response dependent on the potential relative to the situation at hand.

Even so, in that there is seeing this, as self, as is, with no beginning; awareness beyond contemplation is one’s own luminous identity: there is nothing whatsoever contemplating or contemplated. Aware nature is just so, brilliantly so. Enlightening being is the context by which use of this as appropriate, according to the situation without self-reflective intellection, is acting without doing— thereby spiritually transcending the mundane karmic context by freeing its inherent potential from the situational matrix of creation. Consciousness of the fact beyond words, this is ineffable function neither absolute nor temporal defining the activity of enlightening beings.

It is Buddhism’s Supreme Vehicle within Suchness; it is taoism’s entry into the Tao in reality, physically and spiritually sublimated, planting lotuses in fire, going through endless transformations.

As is my predilection, in order to apply this map to everyday ordinary self-refining process, enlightening being is defined as having no self-reified limit and is therefore beyond distinctions or insularity from conditional elements, good or bad. For those wishing to solidify the basis and exercise its function according to conditions, they must have the heart to kill buddhas, the stomach swallow the whole universe in one gulp without minding, and the spiritual fluidity to adapt through the course of events using firmness and flexibility, according to the time.

This is entry into inconceivability, neither difficult nor easy, where convention has no sway. Events are neither ordinary nor otherwise in that one meets desire, form, and formlessness within their inherent potential, and that is all I can say about cutting all the way through without hesitating. Not being trapped within the midst of no escape is tripping all the traps with precision, and passing through with spiritual fluidity— only this is the accomplishment of bodhisattvic activity within complete reality as oneself without leaving others behind.

Bodhisattvas don’t delay enlightenment for the benefit of others— they just adapt enlightenment to present conditions. It is ordinary worldlings who themselves delay enlightenment. The world is what constitutes functional sagehood— a bodhisattva is one who knows that this is reality. Therefore, how can one who knows this leave anyone behind?

In the meantime, hesitant doubting worldlings are the first to attack and obstruct enlightening activity in their midst. These peoples’ understanding of the spiritual classics is as twisted and shallow as one’s own human mentality.

There is simply no other place or time other than right now, ever. There is no other ground-zero. If one is conscious of “passing through”— one must still endeavor to pass through passing through, or, in terms of dropping off, there is furthermore dropping off one’s dropping off. Only then is one able to look back along the path of prior illuminates and accept the dusts as they are right now.

One must be able to embody reality without any borders (implied by the map’s distinctions) without remainder. One is completely free to employ its totality fully without identifying with temporary existential ramifications or mental states while in their midst. At critical junctures, the wise are able to employ all mental states without pattern by utilizing phenomena and their temporary ramifications by impersonal adaption which arrives at spontaneous mutual accord.

How else must one accomplish a precision, in terms of matching potential to creation, that kills buddhas, that kills one’s parents, that slays absolutely everything in one’s path according to the time without remainder?

There are no survivors— the least of all being oneself.

Of course, the map has a deliberate built-in hierarchy, necessarily implied, and those with the will to enlightenment are necessarily conscious of a certain experiential lack— and one should be so lucky to be aware of such lack.

All I can say is, after you see your nature, you find yourself perennially lacking, with no end to inconceivable fulfillment, function, awareness; perpetually empty, surrounded by a circular horizon beyond which lies the unknown.

It is here, where the real human with no status finds immersion in reality, and just floats around in the center of the compass.
deci belle

Re: Map of Consciousness

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Oh my God! :blush: You chan people talk so much and that in a complicated manner.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:10 am

L.,

Although we may not know exactly "who's who", with respect to correct practice or not, I would caution against accrediting affiliation, or ascribing authority or particular knowledge, to anonymous "contributors" (writers... ) here.

It's not likely that everyone who posts here is actually a practitioner. And, being a practitioner is the only trait that makes a person truly a "Ch'an (-Buddhist) person".

[or, let's say "Zen (-Buddhist) person", since that's the most commonly known generalized-name of our stream of Buddhist practice, in Ch'an- (Chinese), Zen- (Japanese), Son- (Korean), and Thien- (Vietnamese) Buddhism].

This school is not faith-based, nor is it intellect-based, nor scripturally-based -- it is practice-based.

And even amongst actual practitioners, there must exist a gradient of understanding and a range of experience. Expect wide variations, and deviations.

So, please don't fall into the trap of characterizing any school of practice based on the unbidden scribbling of any one of us, while we or they may not actually be bona fide and proper practitioners of that school. And, again, please appreciate, too, that there is bound to be a gradient of understanding and experience among even the proper practitioners.

In other words, "Caution!".

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:50 am

deci belle wrote:— a bodhisattva is one who knows that this is reality. Therefore, how can one who knows this leave anyone behind?

I'd say that, among other lines above, this line shows that the writer's expressions are based on readings, and on thinking, and not on awakening.

I select it out because it is a very popular and familiar subject with many readers who have looked at "the Mahayana".

I'd say that the Bodhisattva is one who vows to save or deliver all beings... from samsara. And, a Bodhisattva is one who does not see beings. A Bodhisattva may see ONE being, if that many. But ideally, I'd say, the Bodhisattva sees one fewer than one.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 am

Detachment
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby macdougdoug on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 am

detachment needs at least 2, me and not me
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Are we back at it now?
Lunarious1987

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:56 pm

L.,

Lunarious1987 wrote:Detachment

Wrong!, on the first go! Congrats... . ;)

Reality. No "detachment".

There is no "detachment" in Buddhism and Buddhist practice.

Just accept and understand that, and you'll be a step further along in your familiarity with some of the features of Buddhadharma. Else, if you stubbornly stick to false views, it is not wise.

Practice -- should you choose to free yourself of prejudice and fear to undertake it -- and the understanding that comes with it, will prove (reveal... ) to you that there is no detachment, but enhanced engagement!

Maybe English is not your first language. But correct practice will result in your knowing the difference in your body and mind between detachment and non-attachment. And practice is the best way to understand this difference, no matter what your language skills.

So I see it, and experience it.

As for the Bodhisattva, there is no "detachment", but there is total, wise, and compassionate engagement. But, no beings seen. And no "self" of the Bodhisattva. Losing the illusion or delusion of self -- awakening from the dream of it -- through correct practice and through genuine awakening, is the only way to engage fully and totally. That's what I'd say, and emphasize.

But without correct practice, people cannot understand this, and many other things. No use "debating" when one holds no actual and enlivening understanding.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Mahayana Bodhisattva is two edged sword. Actually two steps, one towards sheepherding and two enlightenment. Enlightenment is one edged.
Lunarious1987

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:16 pm

L.,

Lunarious1987 wrote:Mahayana Bodhisattva is two edged sword. Actually two steps, one towards sheepherding and two enlightenment. Enlightenment is one edged.

Well, such statements are not even quite false. They are nonsense.

Forget swords. And etc.

Opinions are valueless. Without practice, one is a lost sheep (and remains lost).

Buddhadharma and Buddhist practice is a medicine. Without the medicine, one still continues to suffer from a high delirious fever, and is talking trash, totally out of one's head, in delirium.

Thus, may all beings "Get Well".

This takes practice of the various Buddhist practices. A proper teacher can introduce them, in-person. Meanwhile, opinions and prejudices are uninteresting, and a waste of bandwidth.

Do you see?

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby deci belle on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:31 pm

It's in the PMs where we polish the brass tacks.

Thank you for the comments…❤︎

oh~ as for the words themselves that I use to express the wordless, Luminarious, it's a matter of different strokes for different folks. And since you are unable to comment on the actual content of my threads, I would have to say that you have quite a lot of rowing to do, hmmmmm? I understand where you are coming from, though~ nevertheless, I'm only picking on you because you're not a careerist troll.

Furthermore, the rank and file here on this forum need to realize that the way I express the dharma is a device unto itself. If you can suspend your rational pattern of mental activity while reading my threads, then you are already poised in the manner of enlightening perspective. The words themselves are immaterial. Since they are based on the essence, it is not possible to understand rationally.

As long as people insist on using their intellectual capacities (and further involve their emotional biases) the dharma remains elusive.

Ciao, my friends.
deci belle

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:07 pm

db,

deci belle wrote:Someone posted a cool "map" (the Hawkins Scale of Consciousness), and noted that he wondered where he is, ...

No, not here. Nobody posted such a thing here, nor wondered such a thing.

Do I suppose correctly that you write a piece and paste and post the same piece at various places, indiscriminately? I gather that this may be why there is no coherence or particular continuity in your postings, to date. It's all dispersed and diffuse... .

So is the writing.

The OP does not belong in the "Ch'an" area, BTW. Maybe the "Everything Else" area instead could suit such musings.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:30 pm

I agree.
Lunarious1987

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:15 pm

deci belle wrote:Someone posted a cool "map" (the Hawkins Scale of Consciousness), and noted that he wondered where he is, relative to the categorical permutations and hierarchical organization of the document.

Never heared of it, I do have a "map of Self" for funs sake eventhough Joe might not approve of it :PP:

MapOfSelfSml.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Some good Sanskrit words!

As there is no self to speak of, though, really, the chart or map is pretty generously superfluous. ;)
One may nonetheless realize one's true-nature without bringing a "self" into the equation(s).

My teacher spoke instead of a sequence which can (may... ) take place on seven-day or longer Ch'an retreat, within -- or for, or to -- a practitioner. One transitions through various conditions, let's say, during the course of days. The sequence (given favorable causes and conditions) is as follows:

"Scattered-mind" >=====> "Unified-mind" >=====> "No-mind".

Of course, for an analytical and philosophical model of mind and consciousnesses, it's good to study the "Eight Consciousnesses" expounded in the Yogacara school of Buddhism.

(you all already "know" the first five ...or six ...consciousnesses. And, hint: the Eighth is the Alayavijnana, Storehouse Consciousness). :tongueincheek:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby deci belle on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:16 pm

No map, not here. It's searchable, but quite irrelevant.

That someone posted such a thing is immaterial.

Forget the map.
deci belle

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:12 am

deci belle wrote:That someone posted such a thing is immaterial.

No one in particular posted such a thing and every manifest in the end is immaterial.

[/end of another public service announcement]

Have a drink or do a dance ;)
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:17 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Some good Sanskrit words!

As there is no self to speak of, though, really, the chart or map is pretty generously superfluous. ;)
One may nonetheless realize one's true-nature without bringing a "self" into the equation(s).

My teacher spoke instead of a sequence which can (may... ) take place on seven-day or longer Ch'an retreat, within -- or for, or to -- a practitioner. One transitions through various conditions, let's say, during the course of days. The sequence (given favorable causes and conditions) is as follows:

"Scattered-mind" >=====> "Unified-mind" >=====> "No-mind".

Of course, for an analytical and philosophical model of mind and consciousnesses, it's good to study the "Eight Consciousnesses" expounded in the Yogacara school of Buddhism.

(you all already "know" the first five ...or six ...consciousnesses. And, hint: the Eighth is the Alayavijnana, Storehouse Consciousness). :tongueincheek:

--Joe

Yours is superfluous too Joe, you already know I have studied this in depth 20 years ago,
I prefer to be superfluous without adding any .... ingredients, but instead a bit of fun and games
despite the section it might be in, I'm not much of a conformatist as you know :)
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:31 am

F.,

fukasetsu wrote:Yours is superfluous too Joe, you already know I have studied this in depth 20 years ago,
I prefer to be superfluous without adding any .... ingredients, but instead a bit of fun and games
despite the section it might be in, I'm not much of a conformatist as you know :)

When one awakens, one is a conformist to reality, ...not to other people, nor to ideas.

If you are not a conformist to reality when you are awake... then you are not awake.

And such a person is still be-deviled by an idea of a self.

BTW, I'd say "study" of a self, or a person, or of an over-soul, or of a true-self, or of a model of "mind" is not the same as practice. By practice, I mean, for example, the practice that Guo Gu and his sangha will exemplify on 7-day Chan retreat, such as some of us (many of us?) here are familiar with in Chan and Zen and Seon sanghas, and have experienced a few or perhaps many, many times, as sesshin or retreat, and who continue strong practice as they are able in daily-life.

I just hold out the hope that you may see the value, and the lack of value, of all so-called "study" of those matters when the time comes actually to be engaged in such practice, and nothing but practice. And then in the weeks and months afterwards. I'd say, don't have an opinion about this until you have done it. And done it again. And again.

How does this relate to the OP? Not at all. Not to that diffuse writing. But it relates to the value or lack of value of any proposed model or "map of consciousness". That is, without practice guided by a teacher, which reveals (by uncovering), and liberates the original nature, allowing true compassion and true wisdom to arise, as always, in seamless and spontaneous response to circumstances and to beings.

But this may in some cases take long and dedicated practice, and the progressive improvement of health, energy, strength, and stamina, and so I'd say don't expect immediate miracles. But making a correct start is what comes first, because it opens the door to what could follow when given favorable and cooperating causes and conditions.

Models are good for putting on the shelf, and gathering dust. Especially naively-formed ones.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Just stopping by to say hi- :heya:
partofit22

Next

Return to Chán