Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Other Traditions

Lunar New Year

Discussion of other spiritual or religious traditions with Zen in mind.

Lunar New Year

Postby island on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:15 am

The Year of the Monkey is just about over and the Year of the Rooster about to begin. Let's honor this ancient practice together. The lunar new year is not just based on the Chinese zodiac. It is based on the relationship between the sun and the moon, on nature, as is much of Taoism. The dates of the New Year change according to the moons after the solstice so they are different each year. This year the new year started on Jan. 28th, and then for two weeks until the first full moon, tonight, Feb. 10-11th, there is a period of celebration and transition. Traditionally, the end of this period is called something like "Lantern Celebration."

Each zodiac year has an element (fire, wood, water, metal, and earth), making the complete cycle of 12 into 60. Some have said that in China you only celebrated one birthday, your 60th since that is the complete cycle.

I'm a Water Tiger. My mother was an Earth Tiger, and my vavo, Azorean grandmother, was also a Water Tiger. Tigers and monkeys don't get along.

The Tet Offensive was in the Year of the Monkey. In fact, the whole thing was about negotiating the exact time of the lunar new year, which is sad.

We are facing another set of monkeying with things in this mixed up world of ours. A new year, of the Fire Rooster, might bring hope and change. On this eve of the end of the traditional period, light a candle or incense. Gaze at the lunar eclipse. The seasons go on and will go on.

Post whatever you are moved to say or do. Tell us your sign and element. Or what this period of time is like for you. Personally I'm redoing a huge amount just in daily life, as if to clear out the old and make room for the new. It's simple, like work practice.
The way is to get out of the way of the way.
island

Re: Lunar New Year

Postby partofit22 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 pm

There's usually too much cloud cover come winter to enjoy the moon but had the opportunity to catch it setting the other morning and it was salmon colored and HUGE- Just beautiful-

I was fortunate to find a red one of these at a thrift store years ago:

It's old-

February is a good time to purchase seeds, plan gardens, plant broccoli- To touch base with family and neighbors who might be suffering from isolation and vitamin D deficiency from lack of sunlight- A good time to begin to get rid of things no longer needed including any winter weight, to clean to reorganize to prepare for Spring when more time will be spent outdoors-

I've not paid much attention to personality attributes associated with any zodiac except for Gemini males- The bull in them doesn't often transcend .. therefore are surprisingly noticeable in the marketplace .. :)
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

partofit22 wrote:There's usually too much cloud cover come winter to enjoy the moon...

"The stratus quo", I used to call it (when I lived in cloudy places). :tongueincheek:

--Joe

p.s. Good opportunity TODAY -- this morning -- for people in USA, Canada, Mexico, etc., to see Jupiter in daytime (broad daylight) with binoculars, because it is just a couple of degrees South of the Moon in the sky. So, focus on the moon, and then just move a couple of degrees South, and you'll see a pale white disk: a planet 11 times the diameter of the Earth, Jupiter. Good viewing, -J.

p.p.s. Clear sky here today at the 'observe-a-tree': http://www.noao.edu/kpno/kpcam/
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:17 am

Its snowing .. :lol2:
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Ouch! Maybe on some other lunation, then.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Return to Other Traditions