Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Other Traditions

Perrenial Philosophy

Discussion of other spiritual or religious traditions with Zen in mind.

Perrenial Philosophy

Postby another_being on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 pm

One of the old doctors where I work brought in a bunch of his books for our sharing library and I made a happy discovery by it. I picked up Aldous Huxley's The Perrenial Philosophy -- hadn't heard of it before. After doing a bit of online searching I found a rough wiki page --https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy and I'm reminded of Huston Smith's The World's Religions and Joseph Campbell's books.

The wikipedia intro: "The Perennial philosophy (Latin: philosophia perennis), [note 1] also referred to as Perennialism, is a perspective in the philosophy of religion which views each of the world's religious traditions as sharing a single, universal truth on which foundation all religious knowledge and doctrine has grown."

Here's a link to archive.org where free downloads of the book are available: https://archive.org/details/perennialphilosp035505mbp

Has anyone read it? I'm just starting it, but already enjoying...

:peace:
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Re: Perrenial Philosophy

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:40 am

a_b,

It's a nice book, and was a wonderful book for me at one time, the right book at the right time, when finding allies during early days. I was beginning in Hatha Yoga, and looking at Hindu meditation traditions, and was just beginning to read Alan Watts. Huxley came to hand in the form of his DOORS OF PERCEPTION. And then, his PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY was a natural book to turn to afterwards, and rather more substantial.

Once I found the Buddhist path, and in particular that of Ch'an and Zen Buddhism, Huxley's books ceased to be useful, but they certainly served me well when I felt I needed them. And, I like his writing.

You've struck gold! It's a treat to read him. ;)

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:57 am

Thanks John, the Perrenial Philosophy is good at the begining, the middle and the end. It was an early pointing out for me. I'd nearly forgotten tho it never loses its light. If you missed Joseph Campbell's series, it carries a lot for us embodied beings. The old masters are leaving us....
:Namaste:
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby ed blanco on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:12 pm

While doing large quantities of ACID for a 6 months period in the New Orleans of 1968 several books came along with the Orange Barrels we favored but which were never of the same potency.
The books too had different strengths.
Huxley's THE DOORS OF PERCEPTION was one of theme. Jim Morrison, early casualty to the Turn on Drop of Generation, and lead singer of The Doors, named that seminal rock group after it.
His PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY was perhaps the most eloquent for us then, and several, very good novels; but my favorite mind blowing Huxley contribution was THE DIVINE WITHIN. Read that.
Timothy Leary's PSYCHEDELIC EXPERIENCE was fluffy but we all read it and guarded it with much care. My copy lasted several decades, until I re read it and wondered what had I seen in it. LSD had a lot to do with its value to us and the music!!! a theme for another post; like the MACROBIOTIC DIET and THE TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD it faded but not before it would leave deep impression in our lives. Ram Dass' BE HERE NOW stayed, turning us into a gentler brighter path. And Chogyam Trungpa rimpoche capped it all with his style and brilliance. He spoke of Impermanence and we said fuck Impermanence.
Then came Carlos Castañeda, and the rest was history. Or something like that. That's my story. I think. :peace:
Millennials were being conceived then, and life as we knew it, would end in a short 30 years.
Oh well, Impermanence said "Fuck me? No, fuck you."

:O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Ed, hermano, you speak with a good deal of frankness and authority. Kudos, --Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:49 pm

I'll never forget (well not that kind of never) when I used to smoke pot and listen to the doors a lot (still do, listening I mean)
My brother always said, why do you smoke pot? I get stoned from just listening to the doors.

He had a point :lol2:

Hell, even the word perrenial has that effect on me, probably because I have no idea what it means.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Re: Perrenial [sic] Philosophy

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:45 pm

Marcin,

fukasetsu wrote:Hell, even the word perrenial has that effect on me, probably because I have no idea what it means.

Ha! Funny.

Well, that might be because the word is misspelled in the thread title (A_b did no one any favors, there).

...Just one "r", and two "n"s, to be correct, instead.

Webster can tell you in, er-r, "definitive" terms what perennial means, but Huxley will tell you what "the perennial philosophy" means (check him. And, even if you've given up reading, as you say, you may only have to read a few pages to have Huxley explain sufficiently how he is using the words).

As for the first word itself, a web-based Webster makes bold to say:

"per·en·ni·al
pəˈrenēəl/

adjective

adjective: perennial

lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time; enduring or continually recurring.
e.g.: 'his perennial distrust of the media'

synonyms: abiding, enduring, lasting, everlasting, perpetual, eternal, continuing, unending, unceasing, never-ending, endless, undying, ceaseless, persisting, permanent, constant, continual, unfailing, unchanging, never-changing.
e.g.: 'the perennial fascination with crime'. "

best!,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby another_being on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Please forgive my carelessness with the spelling of perennial! Unfortunately it's too late to correct it in the original post. That would have bugged me very much in the old days. :)

And thank you for your replies.

"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Re: Perennial Philosophy

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks Joe for serving as our personal library, much obliged.

(perhaps I'll try a game of ruzzle in English for a change)

John, I screw up in multiple languages :)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby another_being on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:37 pm

:lol2: :ghug:
another_being

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm illiterate in 198 languages (or more).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby ed blanco on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:14 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Ed, hermano, you speak with a good deal of frankness and authority. Kudos, --Joe

I've have a feeling you were there near by reading the same stuff, listening to the same music.
All in all is it hasn't turned out so bad and there is still more to come.
Let's go out as brightly as possible.

Peace. :heya:

IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 pm

ed blanco wrote:Let's go out as brightly as possible.

Ed, where did you enter or come in then?

Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:00 pm

ed blanco wrote:I've have a feeling you were there near by reading the same stuff, listening to the same music.

Ed, Correcto!, y con much gusto, tambien. That's for sure. :)

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby ed blanco on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:29 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
ed blanco wrote:Let's go out as brightly as possible.

Ed, where did you enter or come in then?

Seeking it, Fukster.
Good hint.
It doesn't feel like a blind man looking for a black cat in a dark room anymore.
No more rabbit holes. Just this.
Buddha Dharma Sangha.
Nine vows.
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Nothing to seek Ed, it's the same with the question of how the space entered the room.

Remember memory is a good servant but a bad master, no history, no development, no process, no decay, only this.

:Namaste:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Return to Other Traditions