Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:38 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Other Traditions

Yinyang and the Tattoo of it.

Discussion of other spiritual or religious traditions with Zen in mind.

Re: Yinyang and the Tattoo of it.

Postby A Philosopher on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:
This is not a forum for playing bait and switch with word games.
If you don't want to engage in straightforward communication, then I invite you to visit some other forum where hide and seek with your opinions is appropriate.
This is not the place for that.

This is a Zen Buddhist forum, and the Sixth Ancestor quoted the Vimalakirti Sutra saying "‘A straightforward mind is the place of the Way (Skt. manda); a straightforward mind is the pure land.’"

_/|\_
Gregory

~deep bow~~
A Philosopher

Postby HenriettaSwang on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 pm

I think if you want to do something you should do it. No matter what people think and say. I'm planning to combine yinyang with flowers and do it all colorful. Why? Because I want to do it..and that's all :peace:
I want to get koi fish (they would look like yinyang) with cherry blossoms http://flowertattooideas.com/top-30-awesome-small-cherry-blossom-tattoos/ on a background...It would be SOOO good :dance:
Last edited by HenriettaSwang on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HenriettaSwang

Postby island on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:26 pm

I practice the Yang style short form of Tai Chi and follow some Taoist practices. I never liked tattoos before I got a turtle that represented compassion to me. Then I got the Hawaiian state fish, humuhumunukunukuapua'a on my other wrist, making a kind of yin and yang out of my two forearms. I'm also involved in ocean conservation so these felt significant to me. When I had the humu touched up, the artist offered a free tattoo so I got two dolphins on my chest in a yin yang shape since I sometimes where a necklace with a yin yang in abalone. For me, these are symbols of what I care about deeply and part of my spiritual practices are about taking action in the world in a form of eco-dharma. These images, very brightly colored, attract the attention of others who ask about them. I then get a chance to talk to strangers in the check out line of a store and tell them about these creatures and if an opening happens, also climate change and plastic ruining the world oceans. How each person with small mindful actions can make a difference. Most people are happy to listen and eager to do something about the plight that endangers the planet the most. Of course these are ocean animals not the yin yang. Still if I feel comfortable showing the dolphins, most people see it as a yin yang and ask about that too. I guess many think of tattoos as self-expression. I see them as symbols for myself and others. I don't see why "attachment" comes into the picture exactly.
The way is to get out of the way of the way.
island

Previous

Return to Other Traditions