Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:02 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Other Traditions

Yinyang and the Tattoo of it.

Discussion of other spiritual or religious traditions with Zen in mind.

Yinyang and the Tattoo of it.

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Is it really wise to get a Tattoo of YinYang?

It is symbolic of attachment to the yinyang, but not the positive.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: Yinyang and the Tattoo of it.

Postby Chrisd on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:38 pm

How do you define wisdom?
Chrisd

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Chrisd wrote:How do you define wisdom?

"Is it really wise to get a Tattoo of YinYang?"

Wise wasnt my first choice of words to use in this line but I couldnt think of anything else to convey the idea. You see the english language is unsuited for many things, this is why I wish for new language for humans. English appears to be taking over most languages.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 am

G&WT,

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Is it really wise to get a Tattoo of YinYang?

"GreatandWise" should know, I'd think.

But I suggest get a ("Yin-Yang"?) decal for the car.

Average age of a car in USA, e.g., now is 12 years old.

After the car's useful lifetime, car and decal can go to the crusher. Recycling is the natural order of things. Why wear something on the skin that won't wash-off in this lifetime? Goofy. Defiance of soap?

Does not compute... .

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:02 am

C.,

Not so far, I note. --Joe

desert_woodworker

Postby littletsu on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 am

It is much wiser to learn the right pronounciation of it. The y in yin is basically mute, and yin is voiced with a sharp and articulated "e", y in yang is pronounced, but the g in the end is almost mute again, sort of faded into a gargalizing posture of the throat. Is that the "palatine tonsil"? I don't know. But it sounds like this: yinyang. Can you hear it?
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:48 am

Id say wisdom is like a way of saying wise. wise is any action that is on the spiritual path. lorem ipsum though, sometimes certain actions appear to be unwise but they lead to wisdom in the long run.

as for the tattoo thing, i didnt put much in the topic didnt want to lose the idea in translation. second reason is a secret possibly to be revealed at a later time, hint though about "reminders" and "lead to results".
GreatandWiseTrixie

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:09 am

HI, are you asking a question, or are you presenting the question to set up your own opinion?

I'm always amazed and awed by people who are fluent in more than one language, but that does not mean that either language is inherently flawed. Each language has its pluses and minuses.

Why do you think that getting a tattoo and being "wise" are in the same category or that they apply to each other?

A tattoo is not always symbolic of "attachment." So a tattoo of the yin-yang Tai Chi is not necessarily "symbolic of attachment to the yin-yang."

What's behind or within the question about tattoos? Do you know someone with a tattoo of the Tai Chi and think the person is stupid for getting the tattoo?
yinyangtatoo2.jpg

yin yang tatoo1.jpg

_/|\_
Gregory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:34 am

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:

HI, are you asking a question, or are you presenting the question to set up your own opinion?

I'm always amazed and awed by people who are fluent in more than one language, but that does not mean that either language is inherently flawed. Each language has its pluses and minuses.

Why do you think that getting a tattoo and being "wise" are in the same category or that they apply to each other?

What I think, is that you should read the posts above yours. You read it once but read it again.

Now that you have, my opinion is that such a tattoo would be similar to un-wise, but not quite so. Perhaps worse than unwise.

My opinion exists, but it shant be revealed at this time. If you read it you would surely disagree and call it sillyness, though in truth, it is quite grave.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Postby Avisitor on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 am

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:What I think, is that you should read the posts above yours. You read it once but read it again.

Now that you have, my opinion is that such a tattoo would be similar to un-wise, but not quite so. Perhaps worse than unwise.

My opinion exists, but it shant be revealed at this time. If you read it you would surely disagree and call it sillyness, though in truth, it is quite grave.

First you state your opinion by saying, "my opinion is ..." then says "my opinion exist, but shant be revealed at this time"????
I am not sure if you know what you are saying
Maybe if you read your post again and explain it to me
Then maybe I can understand you better.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:02 am

Avisitor wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:What I think, is that you should read the posts above yours. You read it once but read it again.

First you state your opinion by saying, "my opinion is ..." then says "my opinion exist, but shant be revealed at this time"????
I am not sure if you know what you are saying
Maybe if you read your post again and explain it to me
Then maybe I can understand you better.

That is only a pointer to the depth of the opinion. I stated the opinion is that x=negative, but the real opinion lies below the tip of the iceberg. The real depth of the opinion is a mystery, I simply stated that such an opinion exists, and a brief way to label its reference, but the body and substance of the opinion itself remains a mystery.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:52 am

This is not a forum for playing bait and switch with word games.
If you don't want to engage in straightforward communication, then I invite you to visit some other forum where hide and seek with your opinions is appropriate.
This is not the place for that.

This is a Zen Buddhist forum, and the Sixth Ancestor quoted the Vimalakirti Sutra saying "‘A straightforward mind is the place of the Way (Skt. manda); a straightforward mind is the pure land.’"

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:19 pm

:)

I am always left with a quandary: to be tolerant to the extreme or to speak out when enough feels like enough. For me the feelings come very early. What should Buddhists do? Bite their tongue or follow instinct? I am often guilty of the latter

Pointing out that common courtesy is an expected norm on this forum is reasonable is it not? One should not begin a post by saying that another's is ridiculous

If only newcomers would read through many past posts to gain a flavour of what we are about

Coming in all guns blazing is not our way

I find it interesting that it is often the long established participants here that pull newcomers up on what is unacceptable. Maybe I am not the only one that trusts instinct - more so as practice progresses

Just another Zennie enigma :)
Michaeljc

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Michaeljc wrote::)

I am always left with a quandary: to be tolerant to the extreme or to speak out when enough feels like enough. For me the feelings come very early. What should Buddhists do? Bite their tongue or follow instinct? I am often guilty of the latter

Pointing out that common courtesy is an expected norm on this forum is reasonable is it not? One should not begin a post by saying that another's is ridiculous

If only newcomers would read through many past posts to gain a flavour of what we are about

Coming in all guns blazing is not our way

I find it interesting that it is often the long established participants here that pull newcomers up on what is unacceptable. Maybe I am not the only one that trusts instinct - more so as practice progresses

Just another Zennie enigma :)

I did not say his post was in of itself ridiculous, what I said was ridiculous was his question. Why was it ridiculous? Because I told him I was not well versed on the subject so he asked me more questions about it anyway.

I would not say that a 2 sentence post is coming here gunz blazing, it is rather guns blazing for people to complain that I didn't reveal one or two of my secrets in a casual, low energy post. That is all. :<.<:
GreatandWiseTrixie

Postby Chrisd on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:

Id say wisdom is like a way of saying wise. wise is any action that is on the spiritual path. lorem ipsum though, sometimes certain actions appear to be unwise but they lead to wisdom in the long run.

as for the tattoo thing, i didnt put much in the topic didnt want to lose the idea in translation. second reason is a secret possibly to be revealed at a later time, hint though about "reminders" and "lead to results".

Is the spiritual path then anything that leads to long-term happiness? Are you looking for happiness? Is pleasure the highest/best form of happiness? Is wisdom then that which leads to the attainment of that?
Chrisd

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Chrisd wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:

Is the spiritual path then anything that leads to long-term happiness? Are you looking for happiness? Is pleasure the highest/best form of happiness? Is wisdom then that which leads to the attainment of that?

Yes it is but I'd feel like a shmuck if I was not able to save any beings other than myself. So I dabble amongst the humans though I believe them completely doomed actually.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Postby Chrisd on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Yes it is but I'd feel like a shmuck if I was not able to save any beings other than myself. So I dabble amongst the humans though I believe them completely doomed actually.

haha welcome to the club I know that feeling(s) :lol2: :PP:
A couple of these do change through the course of time and practice.
Chrisd

Postby SergioKurba on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:10 pm

The Yin Yang symbol represents an ancient Chinese Taoist that they believe that it runs the universe. :p: They have a strong believe that everything in the universe can only be defined as a Yang or Yin
http://tattoo-journal.com/30-creative-images-of-yin-yang-tattoos/
SergioKurba

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Sergio,

Here's a cat photo that I've liked a long time.

It's an image on a postcard that someone sent me. And it's always seemed to have a Yin-Yang aspect to it, among other aspects.

best,

--Joe

tails_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby A Philosopher on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:32 pm

About tattoos, people put them on their bodies for various reasons. Sometimes they are an expression of aspirations. Sometimes they are analogous to "spells" and "prayers" for protections. Sometimes they have mostly decorative function. I agree with all who think it does not automatically be a sign of attachment.

About Yin-Yang, my puppies are very Yin-Yang (their temperaments, too):

By the way, in the first picture above, that's a play.

There are very friendly and laid back dogs though Sappho is a half-dalmatian.
So she is occasionally a bit stubborn and having a short fuse about some things.

By the way, is Yin in Quan Yin (the Bodhisattva of Compassion) the same character/term as Yin in Yin-Yang. Just curious.
A Philosopher

Next

Return to Other Traditions