Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Other Traditions

Favorite Sayings from other traditions

Discussion of other spiritual or religious traditions with Zen in mind.

Re: Your Favorite Dharma Gems

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:08 am

Unless you have "realized" whatever you think of as spiritual experience or knowledge was gained in the realm consciousness; such knowledge and experience, though very inspiring, is merely a burden upon your head and will ultimately add more misery. It is nothing more than phenomenon and spiritual jargon. You pray, meditate, do yoga, go to workshops and retreats and then go on writing a diary of your concepts and "patterns" and those of others.

I tell you, it is utterly useless. It will only serve as an instrument of bondage. You are conditioned by name and form, any image you have of yourself is not true. Your body is only an accumulation of water, made up of the five elements and it is certainly not you! If you have any problems or questions with which you are concerned, you will find these problems and questions are based on your identity with the body and mind as an individual. If that identification is not there, then no questions can arise, you will realize this.

All paths lead to unreality. Paths are creations within the scope of knowledge. Therefore, paths and movements cannot transport you into Reality, because  their function is to enmesh you within the dimension of knowledge, while the Reality prevails prior to it.
~Sri Niz
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:19 am

fukasetsu wrote: Sri Niz: Unless you have "realized" whatever you think of as spiritual experience or knowledge was gained in the realm consciousness; such knowledge and experience, though very inspiring, is merely a burden upon your head and will ultimately add more misery.

Son of a *** he tells me now after I've read his 400 page book!
Yes I know he didn't write it himself :PP:
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Chrisd wrote:Son of a *** he tells me now after I've read his 400 page book!
Yes I know he didn't write it himself :PP:

GUN is a swearword these days, what's the world coming to!?!

You read books Chris, my condolences!
You knowing reading books as an individual makes you form concepts and think about them right,
books are not intended for the so called person or individual, it's just consciousness listening.
I'll always remember the words of old "If you say you understand what any of this means you haven't been paying attanetion" :lol2:

ps, did you "read" just that one book ar all "his" books?

here's a fun piece,

Appearance and disappearance, birth and death, these are the qualities of beingness; they are not your
qualities. You have urinated and odor is coming from that - are you that odor?
Q:No, I am not.
M:This beingness is like that urine.Can you be that beingness?
Q: Absolutely not!
M:You requireno more sadhana. For you, the words of the Guru are final
fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:59 pm

fukasetsu wrote:You read books Chris, my condolences!

A heavy burden, my thanks for your condolences. Not to worry though, I didn't understand it at all!

I only read I am that.

:)
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:15 am

Chrisd wrote:A heavy burden, my thanks for your condolences. Not to worry though, I didn't understand it at all!

I only read I am that.

:daisy:

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:29 pm

“A beginner should think ‘though indeed all phenomena are free from names, relatively, all phenomena appear like dreams and illusions’, constantly training their minds in the example of illusion.”
~Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen

To be, you must be nobody. To think yourself to be something, or somebody, is death and hell.
~Sri Niz.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:53 pm

"What are you due to?" -- ( I made that one up in the 1980s).
desert_woodworker

Postby Chrisd on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Longing is the core of the mystery.
Longing itself brings the cure.
The only rule is, Suffer the pain.
Your desire must be disciplined,
and what you want to happen in time, sacrificed.
~ Rumi
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 pm

You are not the body, nor is the body yours, nor are you the doer of actions or the reaper of their consequences. You are eternally pure consciousness the witness, in need of nothing - so live happily.

Desire and anger are objects of the mind, but the mind is not yours, nor ever has been.
You are choiceless awareness itself and unchanging - so live happily.

Recognising oneself in all beings, and all beings in oneself, be happy, free from the sense of responsibility and free from preoccupation with "me".

The body invested with the senses stands still, and comes and goes.
You yourself neither come nor go, so why bother about them?

Let the body last to the end of the Age, or let it come to an end right now.
What have you gained or lost, who consist of pure consciousness?

Let the world wave rise or subside according to its own nature in you, the great ocean.
It is no gain or loss to you.

My son, you consist of pure consciousness, and the world is not separate from you.
So who is to accept or reject it, and how, and why?

Giving up such distinctions as "He is what I am", and "I am not that",
recognise that "Everything is myself", and be without distinction and happy

It is through your ignorance that all this exists. In reality you alone exist.
Apart from you there is no one within or beyond samsara.

Knowing that all this is an illusion, one becomes free of desire,
pure receptivity and at peace, as if nothing existed.

Only one thing has existed, exists and will exist in the ocean of being.
You have no bondage or liberation. Live happily and fulfilled.

Being pure consciousness, do not disturb your mind with thoughts of for and against.
Be at peace and remain happily in yourself, the essence of joy.

~Ashtavakra Gita (from chapter 15)

The kind of life you have is not so important. The most important thing is to be able to enjoy your life
without being fooled by things.
~ Shunryu Suzuki
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 pm

Everybody is trying to understand the meaning of all this. You are not understanding because you have al the swaddling clothes of "I-am-this-or-that." Remove them. The ultimate point of view is that there is nothing to understand, so when we try to understand, we are only indulging in the acrobats of mind.
Whatever spiritual things you aspire to know are all happening in this objective world, in the illusion;
all your activities, material and spiritual, are in this illusion; all your activities. All this is happening in the objective world, all is dishonesty, there is no truth is this fraud.
~Sri Niz (prior to consciousness)
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:06 am

Indeed, non-dwelling is bliss — it cuts through the noise and reveals the potent silence of our own true nature. It is the antidote to hope and fear, grasping and avoidance. It is the essence of true compassion in action, because it frees attention from the self-obsession, rendering it available to life and relationship. It is the gift that never ceases giving. It depends on no religion or philosophy, answers to no messiah, master, or guru, and requires no initiation or special rituals or rites.
~Sir Bob.
fukasetsu

Postby ed blanco on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:17 pm

"God, whose love and joy
are present everywhere,
Can't come and visit you
unless you aren't there."

Seventeenth-century Catholic poet Angelus Silesius
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:10 pm

ed blanco wrote:"God, whose love and joy
are present everywhere,
Can't come and visit you
unless you aren't there."

Seventeenth-century Catholic poet Angelus Silesius

Beautiful, one would almost over-read that last line.
Good to see you ed, thanks.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:44 pm

"There's no growth in the comfort-zone,
...and no comfort in the growth-zone."

--"Buck" Paulsen, 30 Apr, 2014 / Artist, and Fine Art Oil Painting Instructor;
Prairie Public TV, North Dakota, USA (syndicated on many Public TV stations)
desert_woodworker

Favorite Sayings from other traditions

Postby fukasetsu on Tue May 20, 2014 12:09 am

Only your sense ‘I am’ though in the world, is not of the world. By no effort of logic you can change the ‘I am’ into ‘I am not’. In the very denial of your being you assert it. Once you realize that the world is your own projection, you are free of it. You need not free yourself of a world that does not exist, except in your imagination.
~Nisargadatta Maharaj

And as long as one is conscious, there will be pain and pleasure. You cannot fight pain and pleasure on the level of consciousness. To go beyond them you must go beyond consciousness, which is possible only when you look at consciousness as something that happens to you and not in you, as something external, alien, superimposed. Then, suddenly you are free of consciousness, really alone, with nothing to intrude. And that is your true state. Consciousness is an itching rash that makes you scratch. Of course, you cannot step out of consciousness for the very idea of stepping out is in consciousness. But if you learn to look at your consciousness as a sort of fever, personal and private, in which you are enclosed like a chick in its shell, out of this very attitude will come the crisis which will break the shell.
~Nisargadatta Maharaj
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Tue May 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Chrisd wrote:(Basically)this world sucks balls.

Everyone creates a world for himself and lives in it, imprisoned by one’s ignorance. All we have to do is to deny reality to our prison. You have projected onto yourself a world of your own imagination, based on memories, on desires, and fears, and you have imprisoned yourself in it. Break the spell and be free. This world is painted by you on the screen of consciousness, and is entirely your own private world. Only your sense ‘I Am’, though in the world, is not of the world. Once you realize that the world is your own projection, you are free of it. You need not free yourself of a world that does not exist, except in your own imagination! Realize that there is nobody to force the world on you, that it is due to the habit of taking the imaginary to be real.
~Sri Niz

“Thinking back over the past,
you find it was an evening’s dream.

Realize that, and you’ll see
everything is just a lie.

Since, after all, this floating world is unreal,
instead of holding onto things in your mind,

go and sing!”

~Bankei
:heya:
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sun May 25, 2014 1:17 pm

We must allow ourselves to be disappointed, which means the surrendering of me-ness, my achievement. We would like to watch ourselves attain enlightenment, watch our disciples celebrating, worshipping, throwing flowers at us, with miracles and earthquakes occurring and gods and angels singing and so forth. This never happens. The attainment of enlightenment from ego’s point of view is extreme death, the death of self, the death of me and mine, the death of the watcher. It is the ultimate and final disappointment. Treading the spiritual path is painful. It is a constant unmasking, peeling off of layer after layer of masks. It involves insult after insult.”
~Chogyam Trungpa

Attachment is born along with the sense of ‘me’ and ‘mine’. Find the true meaning of these words and you will be free of all bondage. You have a mind which is spread in time. One after another all things happen to you, and the memory remains. The memory of past pains and pleasures, which are essential to all organic life, remains as a reflex, dominating behaviour. This reflex takes the shape of ‘I’ and uses the body and the mind for its purposes, which are invariably in search for pleasure or flight from pain. Recognize the ‘I’ as it is, a bundle of desires and fears, and the sense of ‘mine’ as embracing all things and people needed for the purpose of avoiding pain and securing pleasure. Created by the mind, the ‘I’ and the ‘mine’ are false ideas, having no foundation in reality, and they rule their creator as long as it takes them to be true. When questioned, they dissolve. The ‘I’ and ‘mine’, having no existence in themselves, need a support which they find in the body. The body becomes their point of reference. For reality to be, the ideas of ‘me’ and ‘mine’ must go. They will go if you will let them. Then your normal natural state reappears, in which you are neither the body nor the mind, neither the ‘me’ nor the ‘mine’, but in a different state of being altogether. It is pure awareness of being, without being this or that, without any self-identification with anything in particular, or in general. In that pure light of consciousness there is nothing, not even the idea of nothing. There is only light.
Conscious merit is mere vanity.

Finally come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the ‘me’ and the ‘mine’.
~Sri Niz
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 pm

fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 pm

O you who seek truth and the real reality, come, have pity on yourself. Find a cure for the sickness of ignorance by which you take your imagination to be reality and from which you suffer all your life. Search for a cure day and night, until you feel secure from all that you fear. You do see some people at peace, saved from the disease of ambition though they have less than you do – while you are in pain and oppressed by all that you have. A day will certainly come when you will regret all this, but it may be too late. Start to learn, and leave this ignorance that you take for knowledge.
~Muzaffer
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Start to learn, and leave this ignorance that you take for knowledge.
~Muzaffer

"Welcome to the tavern where drunkards get sober" ~Rumi
fukasetsu

PreviousNext

Return to Other Traditions