Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Other Traditions

Favorite Sayings from other traditions

Discussion of other spiritual or religious traditions with Zen in mind.

Re: Favorite Sayings from other traditions

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 am

P.,

Just a note:

Whatever else they all say about him, I think he was, at base, a good man.

Now -- well, before he died, let's say -- could he "...recall the last time something like that happened in Painting, or Sculpture"? Of course not.

His arguments, when not directly concerning Science, were pretty naive. And I'll say he was a natural at mixing apples and oranges. But he was a good guy!

My colleagues in Astronomy and other natural sciences almost to a person considered him basically a charlatan. I really had no opinion. I feel his career in the late 1950s (studies on the upper-atmosphere of the Earth), at the start of NASA was truly genuine. RIP, Carl.

--Joe

partofit22 wrote:
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion. (1987) -- Carl Sagan
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:41 pm

You can have a tremendously transformational experience, and it doesn’t immediately get rid of all of your contradictions and confusions. Sometimes your deepest shadow comes up after your deepest awakening.
Often we have to begin by admitting what is still churning within us.
~Adyashanti
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby another_being on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Not exactly a favorite saying of mine, but I read this excerpt from the gnostic gospels, in the book The Nag Hammadi Library in English, and thought it might sound familiar to people here.

"While they were in the Father's thought, that is, in the hidden depths, the depth knew them, but they were unable to know the depth in which they were; nor was it possible for them to know themselves, nor for them to know anything else."

:Namaste:
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Trunpa - warrior tea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”

--Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Thomas_Edison.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Chrisd on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Nice one Joe :lol2:

Now from Terminator to Robocop in the epic rap battles of history (ancient tradition! :PP: )
Made me think of Buddhism :blush: :tee:

Chill out dickwad. Your emotions are wrecking your flow. I couldn't find a decent rhyme in your line, if I was in search mode.

~Terminator
Chrisd

Postby Nothing on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:29 am

It is truth that liberates, not your effort to be free - Jiddu Krishnamurti
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Postby Avisitor on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 am

There do exist inquiring minds, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life,
try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves.
If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems,
he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him.”

G. I. Gurdjieff
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby Kojip on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:57 am

I have always been very moved by this. It is very beautiful and true.

A HANDFUL OF LEAVES
The Blessed One was once living at Kosambi in a wood of simsapa trees. He picked up a few leaves in his hand, and he asked the bhikkhus, ‘How do you conceive this, bhikkhus, which is more, the few leaves that I have picked up in my hand or those on the trees in the wood?

‘The leaves that the Blessed One has picked up in his hand are few, Lord; those in the wood are far more.’

‘So too, bhikkhus, the things that I have known by direct knowledge are more; the things that I have told you are only a few. Why have I not told them? Because they bring no benefit, no advancement in the Holy Life, and because they do not lead to dispassion, to fading, to ceasing, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbana. That is why I have not told them. And what have I told you? This is suffering; this is the origin of suffering; this is the cessation of suffering; this is the way leading to the cessation of suffering. That is what I have told you. Why have I told it? Because it brings benefit, and advancement in the Holy Life, and because it leads to dispassion, to fading, to ceasing, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbana. So bhikkhus, let your task be this: This is suffering; this is the origin of suffering; this is the cessation of suffering; this is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’

[Samyutta Nikaya, LVI, 31]

/\Richard
Kojip

Nada

Postby Silent Wu on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:00 am

Nada

A flower opens to the sun and then it closes again, but not silently.
Its leaves fall off quietly yet audibly and dissolve into dust.
Even the puff of minute particles that rise as the petals fall resound to the surprise of passing ants.
Grist for the ever going churning grinding fractious mill.

Earth turned into morning, beams brightly for awhile,
Sings its tune in a blaze of colour and enthusiastic rustling as its many hands reach for their glory,
Leaves its sonic signature and then is gone to night.
The ebb and flow of luminescent waves into crab scuttling caves,
The ocean dancing unseen on reefs of seaweed wedded rocks and whispering barnacles.
All echo and morph together in each and every shell scattered on the shiny midnight beach.

We walk with heads lowered to the ground and do not hear the whispering laughter.
We miss the silent music, chromatic scales on the bones of our ears shimmering them
But gently as a butterfly’s wing might brush the cheek of a baby
Whose wet and gusty breath starts and falls in erratic intersections
But whose sleep remains undisturbed.

Then we listen, we hear it and like the sounds of cicadas we wonder how it was not deafening us.
And then we listen some more and harken to the sound of a pipe or a stone conch and then myriad forms emerge:
A veritable orchestra of eternal moanings, purrings, sonic whispers, talking drums and chanting elders.
Ancient stories of the dreamtime, ancestral tellings, and longings.
Accumulations of galactic winds and resonance of exploding stars.
Encryptions of the heartbeat of the universe.

Trop Lander
Out on the perimeter there are no stars ... out here we is stoned immaculate
Silent Wu

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:47 pm

Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:24 am

“We believe in so many things on hearsay. We believe in distant lands and people, in heavens and hells, in gods and goddesses, because we were told. Similarly, we were told about ourselves, our parents, name, position, duties and so on. We never cared to verify. The way to truth lies through the destruction of the false. To destroy the false, you must question your most inveterate beliefs. Of these the idea that you are the body is the worst. With the body comes the world, with the world — God, who is supposed to have created the world and thus it starts — fears, religions, prayers, sacrifices, all sorts of systems — all to protect and support the child-man, frightened out of his wits by monsters of his own making. Realise that what you are cannot be born nor die and with the fear gone all suffering ends.”

~Sri Niz.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:47 am

Folks think they live in "a city", or "a neighborhood". And not on ...a Planet.

Phooey!

(well, just made that up; not yet a "tradition").

--Joe

planet_Earth.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:31 am

Joe - You're a Planet.

"you're a planet" is a saying in some circles ;)

Me - I only know what I am not.

Miauw.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Did I not say to you, “Go not there, for I am your friend; in this
mirage of annihilation I am the fountain of life? ”

Even though in anger you depart a hundred thousand years
from me, in the end you will come to me, for I am your goal.

Did I not say to you, “Be not content with worldly forms, for I
am the fashioner of the tabernacle of your contentment? ”

Did I not say to you, “I am the sea and you are a single fish;
go not to dry land, for I am your crystal sea? ”

Did I not say to you, “ Go not like birds to the snare; come, for
I am the power of flight and your wings and feet? ”

Did I not say to you, “ They will waylay you and make you
cold, for I am the fire and warmth and heat of your desire? ”

Did I not say to you, “ They will implant in you ugly qualities
so that you will forget that I am the source of purity to you? ”

Did I not say to you, “Do not say from what direction the ser-
vant’s affairs come into order? ” I am the Creator without
directions.

If you are the lamp of the heart, know where the road is to the
house; and if you are godlike of attribute, know that I am your
Master.
~Rumi
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby another_being on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:29 pm

You do look, my son, in a moved sort, As if you were dismay'd: be cheerful, sir. Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep.
-- Shakespeare
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby Nothing on Mon May 16, 2016 1:59 pm

There is no such thing as peace of mind. Mind means disturbance; restlessness itself is mind. - Nisargadatta Maharaj
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Postby Lunarious1987 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:13 am

People are of two kinds, a brother in faith/belief and equal in creation - Imam Ali

When you go into the grave, four fires cover you (you believe in rebirth and ... That right?). The first is quenched by prayer, the second fire is quenched by the fast one, the third fire is quenched by Charity, and the fourth one is quenched by knowledge. And then knowledge says when it arrives:"If I had come earlier, I would have quenched all these fires for you, and made you tast the bliss of my presence". - Imam Ali

Wise follow perfection, fools follow wealth. - Imam Ali

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:34 pm

“As an empathic being you are going to want to immerse yourself in this sacred gift of sensitivity and connection. What you are going to want to do is train yourself to remain open and sensitive yet to relinquish your focus and necessity for personal ego and persona. This is to say, you are going to learn to become a silent witness to events as they take place without adding your personal ego, your personal perspective and your own memory infrastructure. Basically you are going to let go of that which you perceive is ‘you’ and become one with that which you are being empathic to. But, the most important part, you are going to need to let go of it once you have experienced one-ness with it in order to relinquish ownership of it and its influence when returning to your human persona. That is the difficult part, but it is possible by learning to let go of thought altogether.”

“You will arrive at the dawn of realization to this when you have learnt to let go of all thought. For when there is no thought, there is no judgement or clouded interpretation; there is no re-enacted learnt behaviour; there is no past and no future; there becomes only one-ness with the present. This seems alien to you because you have not stepped into such a place. Such a place you are trying to place in your mind, but your mind is already too full of contradicting thoughts to accept it. Such a place cannot and will not exist in mind, not as an accurate idea or concept, but must be a condition beyond [the thinking] mind.”

~Sparrow
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:00 pm

5uljpi.jpg
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

PreviousNext

Return to Other Traditions