Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Mahayana Buddhism Far-east Asian Buddhism

Pure Land in Japan

With a focus on the non-Zen Mahayana schools flowing from China, Japan, Korea, etc.

Pure Land in Japan

Postby Arjan Dirkse on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello,

I've lately become interested in the Pure Land tradition...I've read some books about it and it has struck a chord. I find that there are not a lot of resources for Shin Buddhism in Western Europe, and a plan has been brewing in the back of my mind to spend some time in Japan, so I have started wondering about perhaps visiting a Pure Land monastery when there, and maybe staying there for some time.

I don't know if there are people here who have experience with Shin Budhism in Japan. Would any of the Shin monasteries accomodate foreigners? I know there are some Soto and Rinzai monasteries who do this, but really no idea about the Shin school. Also I speak very little any Japanese...
Arjan Dirkse

Re: Pure Land in Japan

Postby Kim on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Pure Land in Japan

No, pure land isn't in Japan but within. Sorry, couldn't resist :PP:

I don't know if it is of any help but this site, mostly in Finnish, is kept up by a Finnish Shin-priest who is a native of Japan: http://www.shinshufin.info/
Kim

Re: Pure Land in Japan

Postby Arjan Dirkse on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Haha yup I know Japan isn't the Pure Land...

Thanks for that link.

I think I might just email some of the big Japanese Shin organisations, like Hongwanji, and maybe also the Jodo Shu.

The doctrinal differences between Jodo Shu and Jodo Shinshu seem rather vague.
Arjan Dirkse

Return to Far-east Asian Buddhism