Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Mahayana Buddhism Tibetan Buddhism

Film about Tibetan Lama Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

With a focus on the Tibetan, Nepalese, and Mongolian forms of Mahayana Buddhism

Film about Tibetan Lama Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Carol on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:41 am

This looks very interesting ...

My Reincarnation

My Reincarnation is an epic, intimate father-son drama wrapped in a spiritual documentary — spanning 20 years and three generations. It follows renowned reincarnate Tibetan lama Chögyal Namkhai Norbu as he struggles to save his spiritual tradition, and his Italian-born son, Yeshi, who strains against the weight of being recognized as the reincarnation of his father's uncle.

Fox's signature intimacy allows privileged access into the inner circle of a high Tibetan master’s life – to directly experience how his spiritual teachings infiltrate his smallest everyday activities. And you see firsthand how the father guides his student and son in the most skilled – and sometimes frustrating way – to realize and awaken to his own potential.

See the trailer at www.myreincarnationfilm.com/trailer.

The film opens theatrically in New York and Los Angeles on October 28, then rolls out nationwide. Specific cities, dates and general info are available at www.myreincarnationfilm.com.

The cinema launch is accompanied by an exciting new “Share Your Story” online campaign to engage people in the themes of the film: www.myreincarnationfilm/shareyourstory. It’s co-presented with the Tibet House, the Tibet Fund and Interdependence Project.

It will air on the award-winning PBS series POV in 2012, following its theatrical tour.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Re: Film about Tibetan Lama Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby PeterB on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:08 am

For anyone who may not know, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is one of the best known teachers of Dzogchen. at least in the west.
A system that starts by emphasising the absolute necessity of a teacher from the get-go.
PeterB

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is a great master. I had the privilege of being with him in 1999 at a retreat on Lake Tahoe for several days... It was a Buddha field, as the Tibetans can do. I moved heaven and earth to get there, having nothing. I wasn't sorry.

Thanks for the info on the movie.

Linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Arjan Dirkse on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:52 am

I thought it was a bit sad...a son looking for his father's love and never really getting it.
Arjan Dirkse

Postby TTT on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:54 am

I was looking in the old stuff here at the forum and realised a whanted to wright somthing. So i started here. I myself not considering myself a student of Chogyal Namkai Norbu has liseded to some, two online teachings by him. He is a great lama. I have not seen the this movie, it looks like a good one. I have made some comparison befor. what is Mahamudra/ Dzogchen and what is Zen and Shikantasa? Are there eny differenses? Now it seemes like this is not correct. People practis meny things. Samsara is a vast place full of surprises. And one person can sustains more then one practis. For example Chanting and sitting.
I am intrested because i like to do more then one stuff at the time and is intrested in other peoples opinions in thet topiq. If i go to a friend and talk to her for some time. Then i whant to do somthing else. So i go to my apartment and have a cup of coffé and i think abit. What did i leave back there with my friend. Then i spend my day and i go to bed. Sleep and time is a limitation people can have also space. And my question is how and if i can do this in a easy and good way for my. For example if a say thet Buddha is a friend of mine, i have meet him at times in books. How can i be right in thet statment, for myself?
Spring time
TTT

Postby partofit22 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:28 am

TTT wrote: For example if a say thet Buddha is a friend of mine, i have meet him at times in books. How can i be right in thet statment, for myself?

I met Ferdinand on more than one occasion in books- Others have too- And like Buddha, he sat beneath a tree- You are right in that statement too for yourself as well-

partofit22

Postby Chrisd on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Anyone know a download for this film without having to buy it? :PP:
sounds like fun
Chrisd

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:20 am

My perspective is definitely in the minority. For most people the question is to either on the one hand to deny karma and its effects as an antiquated and anti-scientific superstition, or on the other hand to accept it unquestioningly as an article of faith.

My POV is that I firmly acknowledge the fact of karma, the causes and conditions arising from karma, and rebirth/reincarnation. Yet, I observe in BOTH the Hindu non-Buddhist uses and the Tibetan Buddhist uses of karma certain attitudes and factors which can only be called "the abuse of karma" resulting from a perverted view of karma and consequences.

Sticking to the Tibetan example, since it is Buddhist useage and I believe we should always criticize our own "team" before we criticize others, as a Buddhist I observe the whole institution of the tulkus from the Dalai Lama on down to be an abuse of the very recognition of karma. To establish "leadership" positions for a people or a religion based on identifying karmic streams is to only affirm the false notion of an individual self that transmigrates from life to life.

The whole process of recognizing tulkus creates the fantasy of knowing a particular stream of consciousness as a coherent identity throughout successive lives. My point has primarily to prongs. First, is the political abuse of such recognition, and second is the factual abuse.

The potential for political abuse has been noted by Tenzin Gyatso, the current Dalai Lama, who has opened the door to the elimination of the Dalai Lama system for a change to political democracy. In an official statement on reincarnation and the Dalai Lama system, he writes:
Tenzin Gyatso wrote:The Dalai Lamas have functioned as both the political and spiritual leaders of Tibet for 369 years since 1642. I have now voluntarily brought this to an end, proud and satisfied that we can pursue the kind of democratic system of government flourishing elsewhere in the world. In fact, as far back as 1969, I made clear that concerned people should decide whether the Dalai Lama’s reincarnations should continue in the future. However, in the absence of clear guidelines, should the concerned public express a strong wish for the Dalai Lamas to continue, there is an obvious risk of vested political interests misusing the reincarnation system to fulfil their own political agenda. Therefore, while I remain physically and mentally fit, it seems important to me that we draw up clear guidelines to recognise the next Dalai Lama, so that there is no room for doubt or deception. For these guidelines to be fully comprehensible, it is essential to understand the system of Tulku recognition and the basic concepts behind it. Therefore, I shall briefly explain them below.

As I see it in my words, the Dalai Lama and tulku system of political leadership is nothing other then religious dictatorship. As a system that completely fuses church and state, it goes against the modern "enlightenment" value of the separation of church and state. Whether it is the Roman Catholic Church, the Muslim Caliphate, or the Tibetan Gaden Phodrang Labrang (the Dalai Lama’s institution), the original basis for such an institution to have political control in order to establish some bulwark against the perceived chaos and anarchy of primitive tribal and "barbarian" beliefs has long gone. Tenzin Gyatso recognized this problem and voluntarily gave up the political rule. As Tim Robertson wrote in an article from September 2014, that is "a rare thing."
tim Robertson wrote:However, there have also been times when the Dalai Lama has proven to be a rather shrewd political operator. He’s amassed a great deal of support for his cause throughout the world. He has also not received enough credit for his decision to transform the Tibetan government-in-exile from a theocracy to a democracy in 2011 by abdicating and transferring power to an elected prime minister. It’s a rare thing for an absolute ruler to acknowledge that his rule is fundamentally unfair and unjust, and to voluntarily give it up is rarer still, yet that’s what the Dalai Lama did.

This decision hints at his thinking on whether or not to reincarnate: he seems to hope that once he’s dead and, with the institution of the Dalai Lama dissolved, the political fight will be left to the politicians. This is all very radical thinking from what’s always been a very conservative institution. Moreover, with seemingly no leverage, the Dalai Lama is pushing back against Chinese imperialism.

But what about the spiritual dictatorship that such institutions also engender? Yes, I find their institutional hegemony to be counterproductive to the very values espoused by those very same institutions. With the political powers of the Dalai Lama institution disbanded, will the Tibetan's allow for the spiritual power of the institution to be taken apart? For Tibetan Buddha Dharma, the idea of reincarnated beings as specially qualified teachers is simply a case of "the emperor having no clothes" that is largely a taboo subject within the system that supports it.

While Tenzin Gyatso has shown an enlightened attitude toward the idea of disbanding the spiritual institution of the Dalai Lama, he is not making the decision unilaterally.
Tenzin Gyatso wrote:When I am about ninety I will consult the high Lamas of the Tibetan Buddhist traditions, the Tibetan public, and other concerned people who follow Tibetan Buddhism, and re-evaluate whether the institution of the Dalai Lama should continue or not. On that basis we will take a decision. If it is decided that the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama should continue and there is a need for the Fifteenth Dalai Lama to be recognized, responsibility for doing so will primarily rest on the concerned officers of the Dalai Lama’s Gaden Phodrang Trust. They should consult the various heads of the Tibetan Buddhist traditions and the reliable oath-bound Dharma Protectors who are linked inseparably to the lineage of the Dalai Lamas. They should seek advice and direction from these concerned beings and carry out the procedures of search and recognition in accordance with past tradition. I shall leave clear written instructions about this.

This is understandable, since no matter what his personal views on it are, the institution is a social construct that goes far beyond an individuals' personal mental constructs. However, the socially conventional construct is the conglomeration of the individual constructs that amalgamate to form the convention, therefore is it important for individual Buddhists to assess and determine for ourselves whether the construct is beneficial. This is, in fact, what Tenzin Gyatso is asking the influential Tibetan leadership to do for themselves. Institutions die hard, and it is very unlikely that the hundreds and hundreds of years of institutional ossification will be easily set aside.

But at the root of Buddha Dharma, there really is no legitimate justification for the institution of reincarnate leadership as either a political or a spiritual institution.

I could go on but that get's the gist of my perspective.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Return to Tibetan Buddhism