Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:42 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Mahayana Buddhism Tibetan Buddhism

Dzogchen successors.

With a focus on the Tibetan, Nepalese, and Mongolian forms of Mahayana Buddhism

Dzogchen successors.

Postby PeterB on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Although he seldom spoke of it directly, because he considered that the west was not ready at that time..Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was among the first to introduce Dzogchen to a western audience.
Dzogchen is considered by many to be very close to a Zen view.

Now there is an odd phenomenon in the Vajrayana whereby the real heart successors to a teacher may not be the "official " successors. And thus it is in my opinion with Trungpa..in my view his real sucessesors are to be found in these teachers.

Ngagpa Chogyam http://www.aroter.org and
Troma Rinpoche http://www.yogicbuddhism.org

I may now take a break for a while.
PeterB

Re: Dzogchen successors.

Postby 1handclapping on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 am

Bon also has a Dzogchen tradition, which I'm told preceded Dzogchen in the Nyingma tradition. Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's book: "Wonders of the Natural Mind" has been recommended as a good introduction to Bon Dzogchen.
1handclapping

Postby PeterB on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:27 am

Bon was certainly a big influence on what became the Nyingma. The influence was mutual.

:Namaste:
PeterB

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 am

1handclapping wrote:Bon also has a Dzogchen tradition, which I'm told preceded Dzogchen in the Nyingma tradition. Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's book: "Wonders of the Natural Mind" has been recommended as a good introduction to Bon Dzogchen.

:Namaste: Yes, very good material from Tenzin. I sit with him twice a year when he comes to Berkeley, zen the rest of the year. I've long since given up needing to choose. I've always felt that zen and dzogchen are similar.

Here's an article from Sweeping Zen:

View, Meditation, and Conduct in Dzogchen and Zen

Dzogchen, usually described as "the great perfection" ... is also referred to as "the great completion" which is a bit more comprehensive.

Edit: Link fixed - Alasdair
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby 1handclapping on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:47 am

Linda: When does he come to Berkeley? I visit there from time to time.
1handclapping

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 am

Tenzin has been coming to Berkeley in May and Nov since I started in 1999. Next time: Nov 11-13, 2011 ... it's a teaching w/ some practice. Not particularly strictly dzogchen, although he has done some. Lama Surya Das, who was my first exposure to Buddhism, cooking with a friend, teaches dzogchen and vajrayana... I think he is impecable, but the othodox Tibetans might not agree... a large part of his teaching is view, meditation and action, open heartedly.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:12 am

ps: a better way to say this... Tenzen teaches in the context of dzogchen along side a teaching, like the 6 lamps (current), 21 Nails (aspects of dzogchen). He's also committed to how it touches everyday life. He is married, and has a young child about 6-7. He is a geshe.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Return to Tibetan Buddhism