Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Mahayana Buddhism Tibetan Buddhism

What do you think of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso?

With a focus on the Tibetan, Nepalese, and Mongolian forms of Mahayana Buddhism

What do you think of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso?

Postby DannyM on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you had read any of Kelsang Gyatso's books? He is a Tibetan monk of the Kadampa tradition.
I have read a couple of his books which are free from Kindle.

The Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy regard him as a bit of a maverick who has broken away from their tradition as he teaches about other deities.

I have no particular interest in deities, but some of his mainstream Buddhist teachings I found very accessible.

I particularly related to:

We see things as real and solid owing to our conventional self, conventional mind and conventional senses.

The mind, the body, the 'I' and all phenomena are emptiness.

When we fully realize the emptiness of all things, our minds will become perfectly tranquil.

The starting point of realizing emptiness (enlightenment) is to focus on wishing love and compassion for all living beings.
Meditating on this will eventually cause us to lose attachment/self-grasping, which is the cause of all our sufferings.

We should meditate on death by saying, 'I may die today', not out of a feeling of morbidity, but to bring our awareness of today into sharper focus.

We should focus on performing virtuous actions and dread performing non-virtuous actions.

Although this may sound pretty obvious to many, I found his style very engaging and easy to understand.

Thanks for reading,

Danny
DannyM

Re: What do you think of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso?

Postby TigerDuck on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:53 pm

I read his books, and his books are actually very good, particularly his translation of Shantideva's bodhisattva way of life.

But, I am not his follower.

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Postby Caodemarte on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Take a look at http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-c ... nable.html
foe a quick summary of the concerns about him. It's a bit dangerous to think you can separate his explanations of basic Buddhism from the more problematic areas unless you already know both. I would suggest relying on more reputable sources if you want to learn mainstream Buddhim. If you want to learn his take, have at it.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Robert on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:59 pm

I haven't read any books. I've done some research on the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) though. The fact that there're so many controversies with Geshe Kelsang Gyatso involved keeps from reading any of them.
Robert

Return to Tibetan Buddhism