Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

"Shelter In-Place"...

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Re: "Shelter In-Place"...

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:20 pm

The poor people of Texas and Louisiana and Bangladesh and Myanmar have had a lot of feng-shui lately, too much! Feng, wind; shui, water. Wind and Water!

They've had it up to here with feng-shui.

They've tried to shelter in place, but not all survived. Fifty lost in USA; 1500 in the far east.

Let's hope Nature gives them a break and doesn't trouble them in the same way again.

Technical and practical lessons can and must be learned from the Netherlands, I think, where low-lying lands have constantly been in danger of flooding, and Humans have found ways of mitigating floods.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Oil- Oil is the underlying force behind what will bring unlimited funding to Texas -- I think ..

I didn't agree years ago with people who suggested that coastlines were in need of restructuring or need to be deemed uninhabitable for humans- But I do agree today- With all that pavement, water has no place to go- So it stays in place, too- But even if it were prairie it wouldn't matter- A flood plain is a flood plain- There's one right behind where I live and had the opportunity to watch it flood this past Spring- Tons more wildflowers this summer as a result of it even though the summer was on the drier side-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:27 am

Teresa,

Gasoline prices have already instantly risen. But none of this extra profit to oil companies will in any way help the average Joe and Jane recover losses in flood-ravaged Texas, or Louisiana, IMO.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:41 am

Projections or predictions from such actual factual reports can be fraught with error. But the Hurricane "Irma" seems to be, well, a killer.

It is the strongest storm EVER on record in the Atlantic Ocean. Why now? Can it be that there is something indeed, in fact, properly called "Global Warming", which may influence the strength of storms? Why, Yes.

Here's a concerned TV spot about this storm, as of 6 Sept., 2017. Let's follow further updates:

http://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-united-states-hurricane-warning-puerto-rico-leeward-islands-0

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 am

and.... lest we forget, in the 50's, shelter in place had a specific meaning when there was the threat of nuclear war. Somehow, the idea never touched me, but there it was. I was aware of the one family in town who had a bomb shelter. :lol2: how very ridiculous. These days, I'll happily go down with my kin if such an event occurs. We have voted for the morons who could bring it in. more music, please. :hugs:

Meanwhile, I've just started practicing qi qong again and feeling it's benefit... don't worry, be happy.

loves
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 am

Ed resides in Miami doesn't he?

Wondering if he evacuated or not, Tallahassee could expect 120mph winds on monday according to the predictions.
I suspect the new temple is build to sustain such storms, hope there won't be any major flooding like we've seen in Texas.

On Sint-Maarten there's a lot of plundering still going on, ppl don't feel save, Dutch navy is helping the local police trying to get order back.
Unbelievable how many hurricanes are active along with Mexicos earthquake, weird to see it all unfolding without being able to help.
Made a donation to the Dutch red cross for Sint Maarten and other islands, hope things will improve asap for everyone involved.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 am

Marcel, I think Ed mentioned that he and his family are in the everglades?
partofit22

Postby partofit22 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:19 am

partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 am

Thanks Teresa, I didn't know!

But isn't that area even more vunerable to floodings?
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:26 am

fukasetsu wrote:

Thanks Teresa, I didn't know!

But isn't that area even more vunerable to floodings?

I dont know- But he/ they may have taken shelter elsewhere- This storm is more of a wind event than rain, it isnt forecast to stall, like Houston- If on the coast, there could be storm surge- Lets hope he and his family have taken shelter elsewhere and lets send them metta regardless- Guo Gu too-

http://wxshift.com/news/blog/heres-what ... torm-surge
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:49 pm

I too recall that Ed has said that he and the family had moved to the Everglades.

The Everglades of course contains the huge fresh-water lake, "Lake Okeechobee" (o-kee-CHO-bee), and the territory near it, being a protected "wetland" area, is naturally constantly "flooded" already. Wet storms only increase the area that is flooded. I hope Ed and fam. will stay safe. More likely, they have evacuated, and are safe elsewhere.

Guo Gu is based in north west Florida, about midway along in the panhandle (versus the Florida peninsula), at Tallahassie, and Florida State University. But the hurricane will not be kind to that area, either, so I hope he'll be safe with his family, sangha, and neighbors. I'm not sure if his area of NW Florida is under evacuation orders, while 25% of the state IS under evacuation order: people are advised to go NORTH. Fortunately, Guo Gu is already well north, in Fla.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Hurricane Irma has made contact with southern Florida.

Hurricane Jose is a few days behind, and may become number two in effectively a one-two punch.

The two hurricanes are well-seen in the full-Earth weather satellite photo taken on Saturday morning, here:

Hurricanes_Irma_and_Jose.JPG

EDIT:

LIVE Links to CURRENT Images: (updated 8 times per day)

INFRARED view (use during Western Hemisphere NIGHT-time):
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/FULLDISK/GEIR.JPG

VISIBLE-LIGHT view (use during Western Hemisphere DAYtime):
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/FULLDISK/GEVS.JPG

--Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:15 pm

In regards to donations, if anyone has stumbled upon any organization that they have confidence in, please share-
partofit22

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 am

partofit22 wrote:In regards to donations, if anyone has stumbled upon any organization that they have confidence in, please share-

I was just about to say..... the Red Cross, atleast in US, has some very bad press.... like 2 million or billion to build two houses for disaster victims in South America. I wouldn't donate to them. If you look into most of them, it's all about high overhead/salaries for the big shots. ugh!
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am

Linda Anderson wrote:I was just about to say..... the Red Cross, atleast in US, has some very bad press.... like 2 million or billion to build two houses for disaster victims in South America. I wouldn't donate to them. If you look into most of them, it's all about high overhead/salaries for the big shots. ugh!
linda

The Dutch red cross is legit, raised over 13 million for Sint-Maarten now and we have a supervisor for charity here which we always check before donating, this page is in Dutch but at least you get an idea. Whatever they do with money is open the directors pay check is also public.
https://www.cbf.nl/Instelling-financien ... ederlandse

Would be weird if the international red cross is shady while the organisation here is solid, but who knows.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:45 pm

"Smelter in place"?
This smelter is in a place called Hayden, Arizona. Seventy miles north of me. --Joe :lol2: (pardon the little pun)

Arizona_historical_mines_Hayden_smelter_640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:26 am

Linda Anderson wrote:
partofit22 wrote:In regards to donations, if anyone has stumbled upon any organization that they have confidence in, please share-

I was just about to say..... the Red Cross, atleast in US, has some very bad press.... like 2 million or billion to build two houses for disaster victims in South America. I wouldn't donate to them. If you look into most of them, it's all about high overhead/salaries for the big shots. ugh!
linda

Makes it difficult for me to give freely with a glad heart -- to the Red Cross/US
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Teresa,

Red Cross/US

I donate blood there, in their Blood Program, a couple or three times a year; I have an uncommon blood-type that they're always looking for. I started donating in freshman year of college, and never stopped.

I know that after testing it (and sometimes processing it), they sell the blood or blood products (plasma; platelets; etc.), and this derived-income supports the work of the Blood Program. I don't think I've ever donated money to them directly.

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby organizational on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:41 pm

hello everyone,!!

how are you?
:PP:
Follow White
organizational

Postby partofit22 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Teresa,

Red Cross/US

I donate blood there, in their Blood Program, a couple or three times a year; I have an uncommon blood-type that they're always looking for. I started donating in freshman year of college, and never stopped.

I know that after testing it (and sometimes processing it), they sell the blood or blood products (plasma; platelets; etc.), and this derived-income supports the work of the Blood Program. I don't think I've ever donated money to them directly.

--Joe

I'll bite, AB negative- Three storms in the Atlantic- What do you think the chances are?
partofit22

PreviousNext

Return to General Buddha Dharma