Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:15 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

Arrogance

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Arrogance

Postby bokki on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 am

Arrogance

Often while reading Buddhist literature i come across teachings of morality. They always warn against coveting, anger, jealousy and other unwholesome states of mind. Consequently i question myself as to the extent that those states are present in my mind and behavior.

At other times, a friend will point out that my state or behavior is such that its not conductive for anything good or that i have overdone this or that bad quality. Also, that makes me question my behavior.

I cant say that the above really changed my behavior in a major manner, but surely a little by little, step by step, and maybe with the years and life experience, i might say that a small shift takes place.

Rather than a book, or a good friend or family member sharing their view of my behavior, i find that when i personally realize the extent of my state, i can most deeply appreciate the truth of it.

What i want to say, due to a few circumstances, i have personally, not from a book or a friend, but from my own actions, realised how deep is my arrogance.

I know that there are some people whose arrogance seems enormous to me, and i vainly pride myself for not being like that. What a sham! Contrary, i often see non-practitioners, lay folks, exhibit tolerance and patience that puts me to shame.

My arrogance is a mountain. Its very sad. Who am to judge someone, anybody, even about their own arrogance? How arrogant of me! Strutting about, full of it, making up questionable advice, playing at being wise and experienced, as if i have not even heard of the word "humble". Humble! Maybe that will erode the mountain of my arrogance..

I count on everybody here, thats why im here, to freely point out when i go overboard, overdo it..
My faults are many: impulsiveness, impertinence, vexing, impatience, arrogance and many many more, to many to mention.
I have little or no problem with jealousy, coveting, and my desires are simple..
My virtues are close to zero, from the minus side.
Yes, arrogance stems from fear, courage is humble.

And this post is arrogant!! hmmmm....

plz, what are your thoughts or experiences or remedies of arrogance? it will help! thnx b
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA Chef
bokki

Re: Arrogance

Postby macdougdoug on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:25 am

Whatever the perceived faults, I find forgiveness easy because none of us choose to be this stoopid.

PS - also my perception, interpretation and judgement not 100% accurate :lol2:
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby TTT on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:51 am

Arrogens strong Word;

I dont realy know what it menas.

My father was talking about it - "they are arrogent, etc.".

Is it an insult?
When
TTT

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:28 pm

bokki wrote:Rather than a book, or a good friend or family member sharing their view of my behavior, i find that when i personally realize the extent of my state, i can most deeply appreciate the truth of it.

Lovely my friend, nothing's better then seeing it directly yourself.
So what's the next step? I'd say don't judge it, dont grasp or reject it or try to alter it, just see the mechanism behind it.
If you keep being aware like this there's a chance you will have direct insights into dependend origination.

And also dont take yourself to seriously, just keep on observing and making related jokes about rowing your boat on the ocean and the 8 winds which rock it. :heya:

Your post isn't arrogant, you want to understand the workings of mind, that is something to be cherished not done of as arrogant.
And mistakes are only mistakes if you don't learn from them.

You have my full support! :hugs:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 pm

I "go" with Guo Gu's sincere words, here, which I agree with:

"The key is samadhi".
--Joe

p.s. Even then... watch out: "the Three Poisons Arise Endlessly", as our Zen Buddhist vows remind us. And so, we practice... .
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
    "The key is samadhi".
--Joe

The expedient of dhyana too, the gates are innumerable :peace:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 pm

fukasetsu wrote: