Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

BE HERE AND NOW, JUST THIS

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Postby bokki on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 pm

I ,as anyone, heard this in zen, Buddhism, new age stuff, self help etc...
i have lately thought about it. be..here..now..just this..
i suppose ppl sometimes see this literally and try to be, here, now or this..but i dont know.
Do you have any ideas about this, how do you see it, do u practice it, did u, etc..
Maybe u could offer your thoughts, it would be appreciated!
(if i don't answer soon it probably means my comp ended in the trash can, lol)
Thank You All!
b
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA
bokki

Re: BE HERE AND NOW, JUST THIS

Postby jundo on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Where and when else is one ever?

Gassho, J
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

I suppose it means we're usually caught up in "how it should be".
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby Dan74 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:20 pm

I see it mostly as the First Paramita - give fully to whatever it is right now. The mind has a tendency to run from what is into all kinds of fantasies, hurts, habitual emotive scenarios, etc. It is about recognising this and letting them go, in order to be free to give fully to what is needed right now.

It doesn't mean that you HAVE to only focus on one thing to the exclusion of all else, though it can be useful as a practice. It means cultivating a presence of mind while taking the energy back from the monkey-mind, from the hurt-fearful-mind, from the fantasy-mind, etc.

This is just how I see it.

One practice that helped me with that is Thich Nhat Hanh's instructions on breath awareness - returning to breath awareness throughout the day as often as possible, until some remains as an anchor. It seems contradictory since you are not then fully present, but this anchoring in the breath, does help to release a lot of other habitual thinking/emotive patterns. So it's like a lot of gradual Buddhist practices - you replace less wholesome with more wholesome, but still provisional.

_/|\_
Dan
Dan74

Postby [james] on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:41 pm

bokki wrote:BE HERE AND NOW, JUST THIS ...
i have lately thought about it. be..here..now..just this..
i suppose ppl sometimes see this literally and try to be, here, now or this..but i dont know.

Since seeing this literally is also just this ....
[james]

Postby bokki on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:54 pm

well thank you very much!!
..Where and when else is one ever?
i wonder where and when else is one ever..but how is it now and here? sry for insisting,Sir, u know me..
..I suppose it means we're usually caught up in "how it should be".
yes i suppose so, but how is it factually now and here?
..give fully to whatever it is right now. The mind has a tendency to run from what is into all kinds of fantasies, hurts, habitual emotive scenarios, etc. It is about recognising this and letting them go, in order to be free to give fully to what is needed right now.
yes i think so, but what is right now?
..Since seeing this literally is also just this ....
LOL, nice, thnx, a bit early, but what happens after seeing this, now and here?
of course 1 may say that the brain makes the picture a quarter sec late, or that here and there r dubious..but how about shooting from the hip? anything goes,lol..
very thankful 4 ur answers, and i really cant say what d answer is 4 u, i just inquire, u know me..lol
my laptop is kicking d bucket, ill give it a burial. but any thoughts or reactions appreciated!!
sry 2 bother u
Thank You!
b
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA
bokki

Postby bokki on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:39 pm

ok, everybody knows im a stray street mongrel, hanging besides the container, waging his tail at a piece of pizza...can any1 tell what am i doing now?
or maybe we should close this 1 question and move on..
thank u 4 ur answers c u 2morrow, if my comp survives,, lol
LuAll
b
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA
bokki

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 pm

A book, some years ago in USA, was "Be Here Now" (basic Hinduism).

"Now," I'm afraid the refrain of many is, "Beer Here Now".

[tho', granted: a few practitioners pop up here and there to take up the practice(s). ]

--Joe

be_here_now_why_dont_cha.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby [james] on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 pm

bokki wrote:....
yes i suppose so, but how is it factually now and here?
yes i think so, but what is right now?
, but what happens after seeing this, now and here?

Nothing happens, after seeing this. It is already happening. There is no now and here beyond the mental construction of "now" and "here". "Now" is the horizon of arising and passing away, perhaps, one might say. Contacts, perceptions, reactions, recognitions, all arising "here" and passing on into "here".
[james]

Postby Dan74 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm

"Seeing this is also just this."

What is right now? What is it?

Is a great question to keep asking. Right now, what is it? What is missing? What is this drama really about? What do I feel? This space I occupy, the seat under my ass, the air in and out of my nostils, all these perceptions, where are they? These constant arising and ceasing, where does it happen?
Dan74

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:33 pm

All planetary.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Dan74 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:34 pm

What do you mean, Joe?
Dan74

Postby [james] on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 am

Dan74 wrote:"Seeing this is also just this."

Is a great question to keep asking. Right now, what is it? What is missing? What is this drama really about? What do I feel? This space I occupy, the seat under my ass, the air in and out of my nostils, all these perceptions, where are they? These constant arising and ceasing, where does it happen?

Doesn't framing a question necessarily lead to a limited answer?
"What is missing?" How can this question not have an incomplete answer?
Simple, persistent observation of what is and what appears to be requires no question or answer.
I'm not speaking in criticism of what you've said, above. Just making an alternate observation.
[james]

Postby Dan74 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 am

[james] wrote:
Dan74 wrote:"Seeing this is also just this."

Doesn't framing a question necessarily lead to a limited answer?
"What is missing?" How can this question not have an incomplete answer?
Simple, persistent observation of what is and what appears to be requires no question or answer.
I'm not speaking in criticism of what you've said, above. Just making an alternate observation.

Yes, a lot of this is provisional. I had this chronic sense of 'something missing' and looking into it has been helpful. For you, maybe it's something else. This (and many other situations) is where a wise teacher we have a personal connection to, is vital.

"Simple, persistent observation of what is" is obscured by all that we want, miss, hurt over, grieve over, wish for, etc etc. Hence the limited provisional methods to deal with that. We don't sweep at this messy human stuff under tge carpet, but it often pays to face it and even to take a closer look.

_/|\_
Dan
Dan74

Postby bokki on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:03 pm

hi ppl, thank u very much..
do u know those experiences when, 4 ex, u wake up in the morning, start cooking coffee or tea, loose urself in a dream, and the next thing u know u r tasting a hot cup of beverage?
or driving somewhere, and then space out into thoughts of wife, boss, neighbor, child..
and d next thing u know u r already there?
or when its raining, u remember u didnt close d windows in d other room, u go there but forgot y, so u return, and soon remember, ah, d windows, so go back but the windows r shut?
how about the proverbial hand in sleep looking 4 a pillow?
so, i wonder who is doing this stuff, if our mind is dreaming or sleeping?
but about here and now, isnt it easy to say, now that ur awake, and can say what r u now?
say, why would u construct ideas bout it when its plain 2 c?
im not saying that here or now r fixed, but can it be expressed by d 1 experiencing it?
THANK u for giving it a kick, poke it some more, its bound 2 wake up, ..at least i hope,lol
justa joke d last 1,
but Thank You
b
LuAll
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA
bokki

Postby TigerDuck on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 am

"Be here and now, just this" doesn't mean when you drink coffee, you realize you are drinking coffee instead of thinking something else.

What is the benefit of you realize you are holding a pen now instead of daydreaming?
What is the benefit of you realize you are sitting in the jail now instead of sitting in heaven?

There is no benefit or usefulness in realizing you are at the present. It doesn't bring you anywhere.

If i am sitting in a prison, I would love to have a constant daydream that I am sitting in heaven.
This simple example tells us, just because you are at the present, so what???

You may even more suffer, and better to daydream.

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Postby [james] on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:51 pm

TigerDuck wrote:"Be here and now, just this" doesn't mean when you drink coffee, you realize you are drinking coffee instead of thinking something else.

So what does it mean?

There is no benefit or usefulness in realizing you are at the present. It doesn't bring you anywhere.

It releases you from the delusion of escapist thinking, no? Although satisfaction in saying/recognizing "This is the present!" may also be escapist fabrication.

If i am sitting in a prison, I would love to have a constant daydream that I am sitting in heaven.

Though I have never sat in a prison, I have sat in some uncomfortable places and situations for extended periods of time and have observed that daydreams and other fantasies are necessarily short term diversions. The mind is inevitably pulled back by the body to the "here and now" and sooner or later we have to face what has to be faced.
[james]

Postby Caodemarte on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:02 pm

TigerDuck wrote:"Be here and now, just this" doesn't mean when you drink coffee, you realize you are drinking coffee instead of thinking something else.

What is the benefit of you realize you are holding a pen now instead of daydreaming?
What is the benefit of you realize you are sitting in the jail now instead of sitting in heaven?

Try it and see.

Daydreaming usually leads to more suffering. I day dream, distract myself, and delude myself and it just leads to more alienation and pain. Being present leads to less. There is possibly a time to day dream or distract but most of us do it to excess.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby TigerDuck on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:28 am

Being at the present doesn't yield to enlightenment.

By default, everyone is always in the present.

People have this idea that if I am holding a pen right now, I must realize I am holding a pen. If instead I am thinking something else like vacation next year, then you are not at the present.

This is actually wrong.

There is no way we are not at the present.
There is no way we can't be at the present.

When we hallucinate about our vacation in the future, thinking going out with this miss universe etc, we must know this hallucination is an event occurring at the present moment, right now.

It is because we are also at the present moment, then we can experience that present event.

Doesn't it mean you are right here, right now watching the hallucination?

Whether we must realize we are holding a pen or not, it is just a matter of shifting attention to two different present moment.

Either you are with the present of holding pen or you are with the present Involving in the hallucination, both are equal - you are at the present with the present event.

The understanding of being present, right here , right now in most cases has been distorted in such a way as if you can be fail at to be at the present. Whatever suggestions proposed is actually simply none than shifting present event to another present event.

It may look wowwww when you walk, you know you are walking; when you run, you know you are running.

But this is just not better than when you hallucinate, you know you are hallucinating.

If I am sitting in the jail, I would love to be at the present enjoying my hallucination sitting in heaven until I am free from the jail.

And this is better than someone who realizes he is at the present sitting in the jail and feels sad.

The point is being at present is not something we can escape, by default we are always at present.

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Postby Dan74 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 am

Yes and so is your answer that the habitual monkey-mind captive to the past and enthralled by fantasies of the future, is the way?

Of course, first there must be a realisation that the mind is like this and a deep sense that it is not the way. If you roll along and pretend that you are the master when you are indeed a slave, then of course there is no point.

_/|\_
Dan
Dan74

Next

Return to General Buddha Dharma