Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

The Case Against Empathy

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Re: The Case Against Empathy

Postby Avisitor on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:22 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:No way are you headed the Altzheimer's way. Not that I know for sure. It's just that there's a lot to do before we default to hypothetically (or otherwise) acknowledging some unlikely "disease" state. Baloney... .

As much as I wish for a different reality, ....
Daily practice won't prevent it, nor cure it, ... nothing.
Avisitor

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Av,

Avisitor wrote:As much as I wish for a different reality, ....
Daily practice won't prevent it, nor cure it, ... nothing.

No, I'm not a doctor (of Medicine), nor a psychic with spooky-vision-at-a-distance, but I hope there's another way that you might, or may, go. Try sublingual Vitamin B12? I think I wrote earlier that I like the Strawberry-flavored little tabs. Dunno if it works, but it's a cheap placebo. ;-) Best!,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:00 am

Jundo,

Greetings.

No, I'm not talking about practice, exclusively.

What I ascribe our natural responses to is awakening, and to living in the awakened state, and in accord with awakening, supported and maintained by ongoing practice after awakening (some number of times).

Yes, practice has enabled this, but practice does not assure nor ensure it, whereas awakening does.

Awakening is, let's say conventionally, one of the three "pillars": Teaching (Study); Practice; Awakening.

Simple. One's teacher will make certain that one goes this far, if one has the aspiration to do so.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Previous

Return to General Buddha Dharma