Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:04 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

Enlightenment is not good!

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Re: Enlightenment is not good!

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 am

Even a sick person must be shown the boundaries - particularly so IMO. I was once told by a very good psychiatrist that even a schizophrenic should be told repeatedly that their fantasies are not real. Excessive tolerance can do more harm then good (sometimes). Making this delicate judgment seems easy if based around steady practice. We can then begin to trust our instinct IME :)

m
Michaeljc

Postby [james] on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Michaeljc wrote:Even a sick person must be shown the boundaries - particularly so IMO. I was once told by a very good psychiatrist that even a schizophrenic should be told repeatedly that their fantasies are not real. Excessive tolerance can do more harm then good (sometimes). Making this delicate judgment seems easy if based around steady practice. We can then begin to trust our instinct IME :) m

The boundaries of what qualifies as "sickness" are not fixed and the person with cancer, schizophrenia, dementia etc. ought not be defined or bound by the characteristics of the disease. More enriching to all, I think, is to see sickness in others as a door to relaxing our own boundaries, to give the one who is already distressed and suffering a bit of leeway and room to bump into a measure of understanding and acceptance rather than excessive caution and ignorance. Sickness, disease is the lot of every one of us.
[james]

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:53 pm

[james] wrote:Sickness, disease is the lot of every one of us.

Indeed (Be well).

Prince Siddhartha of the Shakya clan couldn't quite believe it, though, could he, when he jumped the walls of the protective castle and ventured upon the streets of the common people of the realm. He saw sick, and dying; dead, and dissolution.

Thus became aggravated the desire of the prince to understand "what IS this"?

Hats off to Buddha Shakyamuni, our original teacher, for going all the way.

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:15 pm

[j.],

[james] wrote:The boundaries of what qualifies as "sickness" are not fixed and the person with cancer, schizophrenia, dementia etc. ought not be defined or bound by the characteristics of the disease.

And yet, they are so bound (who knows what karma is to credit).

Yes. We'll put that aside. But let's come to 'cases':

A fellow locally, at ZFI, recently, described himself as diagnosed with a disorder. No one here drew any boundaries or defined anything regarding the feller. He did it himself, multiple times. But... -- and this is the key "BUT" -- the same feller came out irrationally with expletives to others here, and tried to justify his obtuseness (etc.), and his desire to physically attack people here, and to kill, with the claim that, ...quote..., "Aspies require blood".

I think -- and hope -- that Michael carried-through with his effort to report said person to the Norwegian government authorities, Mustafa's current haunt, Mustafa claims, as would be proper to do. If so, the results of the receipt of the report may explain the recent absence of said feller here, either by his seeing sense, or by his seeing the inside of a jail.

One can hope. But more talk than this about the feller honors the Unworthy.

I'd implore you (anyone else, too) not, for arbitrary or ignorant reasons, to turn a blind, kind, eye to real perversity ...even if rain on the rainy window on every calendar day there washes away all (others'...) blood. It's just not Compassionate... .

I remain to advocate for Moderation, in moderation. Just such as we had. Kudos!, old Admins and Mods. And thanks.

The ZFI-world ends tomorrow or Saturday, it's been rumored. Strong practice,

Thanks, All (or most!).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby HePo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Joe wrote:
The ZFI-world ends tomorrow or Saturday, it's been rumored.

According to domaintools the Expiration date is 2017-01-29.
HePo

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:48 pm

HePo,

HePo wrote:
Joe wrote:
The ZFI-world ends tomorrow or Saturday, it's been rumored.

According to domaintools the Expiration date is 2017-01-29.

Thank you! I'm breathing a little easier. Huff-puff (pranayama).

More time to argue, and proclaim "true Buddhadharma", as Guo Gu puts it. :lol2:

Really, I hope the Forum can be maintained online approximately in perpetuity.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at different (Windows) programs that can download websites in their entirety onto your local disk, for access offline. I'm not sure how much of a site's complexity is actually spidered and accessed by such programs. Some say "all". That would be nice.

:Namaste:,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby HePo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:54 pm

James wrote:
More enriching to all, I think, is to see sickness in others as a door to relaxing our own boundaries, to give the one who is already distressed and suffering a bit of leeway and room to bump into a measure of understanding and acceptance rather than excessive caution and ignorance. Sickness, disease is the lot of every one of us.

i would think L. has been given quite a bit of leeway. After been banned 7 years ago - he was given a second change to join this forum again last June.

If you take a minute and look at the last posts of Mustafa (7 years ago) - you will probably recognize the pattern.

i find it unacceptable for a member of ZFI to threaten another member.

also - there have been no apologies so as far, which imo does not give much hope for the future.
HePo

Postby Lunarious1987 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:42 pm

I have Aspergers. It is being neuro typical different (like alien :) ). Not shizofrenic for definit. Or psychotic. Google it.

You need to step carefully around me.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Previous

Return to General Buddha Dharma