Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 2:22 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

Consulting Interviews

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Consulting Interviews

Postby anka on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Hello all,

This week my Sangha is offering consulting Interviews. This is not the first time and will not be the last. I have been practicing with them for about a year now and never took advantage of this part of practice. Mostly because I have no idea what to discuss during one.

The dharma is the dharma and my practice is my practice. Any talk about these would be fruitless as it can not be accurately described by words. When i try to think of questions on these topics my mind goes completely blank.

So the only thing I could think of doing during this time is getting to know our guiding teacher better or sitting quietly with the teacher for 5 minutes or so. Either way I do not want to take time from other Singha members that could use that time for its purpose, discussion of their practice and dharma.

So I am in an interesting place, wanting to take advantage of this service but have no idea what to do with it.

:Namaste:
anka

Re: Consulting Interviews

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Anka,

Is it a Zen Buddhist sangha and teacher?

I suppose that a way to begin any interview would be to introduce oneself, and state the nature of one's practice. For example, I myself would say that, "my name is Joe, and my practice is shikantaza". The interview would proceed from there.

But perhaps, at your interview, someone facilitating might announce a specific way that the teacher would like students to behave in order to start the interview (as on sesshin, when there is a specific way of waiting in line, entering the dokusan room, carrying out bows, sitting down, and beginning the interview, ending the interview, returning to the zendo after interview, etc.).

Wishing you well,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby anka on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Desert,

This is with the Kwan Um school of zen in the Korean tradition. Honestly everything is completely layed out and explained except for what happens during the interview. My experience with this Sangha is that it is left completely up to the student.
anka

Postby anka on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:15 pm

The answer was staring at me the entire time. I will have a consulting interview about consulting Interviews!
anka

Postby [james] on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:29 pm

anka wrote:The answer was staring at me the entire time. I will have a consulting interview about consulting Interviews!

That's a good start!
[james]

Postby Guo Gu on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 am

anka,
just get to know the teacher and introduce yourself.
may i suggest asking a question to the teacher? i know you may know what this is but still if you can just put that aside and ask: what is buddhadharma?
be sincere, down to earth. and see what s/he says.
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby anka on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:26 am

Hello Guo Gu,

Thank you kindly for your response and advice. Our Sangha meeting was tonight so I unfortunately did not see your post until just now, when I got home.

I started the interview with basically what was in my first post and this started a small discussion and then a question did appear. I am glad the doubting I had earlier in the week manifested because othwise I would not have gone to the interview.
anka

Postby Guo Gu on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:51 am

all is well, anka.
gg
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby cam101+ on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Another good example of impermanence. Originally you had no question, later you did. This comes up w/ me frequently in many different situations, not necessarily in those just related to Zen practice.
cam101+

Postby anka on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Fantastic point, thank you cam!
anka

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:03 am

Are you Korean? I love how 'cute' the Koreans are. There was a Korean girl here who was so kind natured that i was very happy to know her, she couldn't mentalize or read peoples minds, she was so consentrated! Then she told me she was going to marry a Norwegian man. I don't know that man, and i'm afraid she'll be tainted. But i'm glad she converted to Christianity. I think her man is Christian. I wanted to advice her about that not all people are as kind as you, you should be careful.

As we consider water, fire, earth ... and maybe air to be cleansers in Islam, whereas for example urine is impure water, we think in the Islamic law that if only little impure water is mixed with much pure water, all becomes impure.

So she could be very pure, but very little impure water could make her too impure. So be careful!

Thanks for your kindness
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby anka on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:10 am

Hi lunarious,

I am not Korean but American with a background of Irish and Portuguese.

You take on purity is interesting. However I am concerned that an outlook such as that will lead to suffering. Your story shows that also as you have actively worried for this woman and her perceived purity.

JF
anka

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:38 am

Suffering is a state of mind. Someone famous said: "if you think you can do it, you're right. If you think you can't you're always right"

Islam and Buddhism teaches to be introverted, so the external world (extraversion) serves the internal world. That Korean girl was consentrated and introvert in the true sense. Because she didn't speculate on what others was thinking unless they explicitly said that. I believe that's rigt view, to not see evil, to not hear evil and not speak evil. Then you have the right state of mind, then you're an expert.

Peace
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:33 pm

L.,

Lunarious1987 wrote:Islam and Buddhism teaches to be introverted,

That isn't true, about Buddhism.

I won't say whether it's also false about Islam, because Islam is not my first tradition: I only came to it later.

But I do not find in Islam that "submission" is the same as your idea of "introversion", no!. That is, submission to a god is definitely not the psychological condition of introversion, not by a long shot. So I will say that I think, after all, that you are most definitely incorrect in that projection, too. In other words, wrong about both Buddhism and Islam, vis-a-vis those perceived or imaginary personality-types.

But I'll speak more about Buddhism than Islam, then, since it is my tradition. I'll do it very briefly, though, since you do not allow yourself to appreciate and benefit from a scholar's thoroughness and generosity. I understand, though, by your representations here that you are young and impetuous, and passionate, and so your bias and tendentiousness toward your idiosyncratic view of "Islam" is mostly forgivable.

Plus, many people -- not just yourself -- have incorrect ideas about the nature and workings of Buddhadharma.

But here is the key paragraph for you, Lun. In Buddhist practice, neither the condition of introversion nor extroversion is an asset. The reason is that introversion and extroversion both come down to an "I". And correct Buddhist practice reveals that the "I" is completely fictitious. There is no such entity. This is what the Buddha himself discovered originally, 2500 years ago.

Thus, it may be better for a practitioner even before awakening to be neither introverted nor extroverted.

Neither type is an asset, or conveys an asset. And neither "type", in practicing, has an easier time with the difficulties of Buddhist practice.

"Buddhism", as you call it -- the Buddhadharma, and, particularly, correct Buddhist practice -- is medicine , and nutrition for awakening to reality, and becoming free from enslavement to the idea and sense of a "I". Each practitioner can definitely have the same experience that the Founder had, Shakyamuni Buddha, when he woke up under the Bo tree on seeing the Morning Star in the dawn. This is what Buddhist practice enables.

Zen Buddhism is known as the tradition that can enable such an awakening in a practitioner relatively quickly, compared with other Buddhist paths. But to be sure, a teacher and sangha are needed in order to learn to practice in correct ways.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:49 pm

I don't think i'm awakened. My theory about me littereally seeing a big cross shaped light, not the northern star, in afternoon for the brief moment it was, is because of my unvawering belief to the extent of stupidity and selfharm due to that. It was a signal from God. I've witnessed a miracle.

Peace
Lunarious1987

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm

L.,

Lunarious1987 wrote:I don't think i'm awakened

I'd say that's a good attitude to hold, for all of us.

It's good to just keep on practicing, correctly, and hold no notions or ideas of "I'm this", or "I'm that".

Peace, and best wishes, to you and to All,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Hahaha. Actually, my Sufi friend found me on this board. He is both my master and student, student because i refuse to acknowledge him. Master because he he preaches to me and I listen. I'm like a poisonous snake, he can't drop his guard on me, yet his pet. Some describe Aspergers as a human pet.

Once before, i comitted the most unforgivable sin because i got so emotional and cried during writing half an A4 quickly typing why i'm God. I wanted to save humanity. Don't you see too many injustices around you? That was 7 years ago, 6 years ago, since then my fire has been put down and i've first become introverted, and now i am getting extroverted. I used to be a monk, like avatar the airbender. I've done some serious things because i have Aspergers, and i have Aspergers because i've done some serious things. I used to be a Dharma warrior.

Peace
Lunarious1987

Return to General Buddha Dharma