Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion General Buddha Dharma

bad speech

For discussion of Buddha Dharma, including teachings common to all Buddhist schools, such as the Four Noble Truths, Dependent Origination, etc., that is not specific to Mahayana or Therevada

Re: bad speech

Postby partofit22 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:19 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
lobster wrote:'Bad speech' covers anything by Donald Chump, the well known presidential mis-speak aunty-anti-blonde-ha!-devolved-simian or to put it more kindly [insert Noble Silence of choice] :grr:

A lot of politicans (and civilians) think or say the same things and much worse off camera, at least he says them in the open.
Media is a strange phenomena in the states, it's either censored for no good reason or used to scapegoat individuals,
we love to hate don't we?

Mistaking behaviour for *bleeping* personalities again, silly Buddhists. :tongueincheek:

Technology provides us with the opportunity to hate more and at faster rates, should we choose to engage- It removes the notion of separateness, of land mass and oceans, of nautical miles, kilometers and time zones, translates language with images- You are saying what you are saying from the comfort of your discomfort, both of which are interconnected, strangely enough, to the very same strange phenomena you mention -- including cameras and scapegoats-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:25 pm

P., Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Technology provides us with the opportunity to hate more and at faster rates, should we choose to engage

Interesting take. Thanks!

I say something similar, to people who ask me why I don't use power-tools much in my woodworking, and mostly use hand-tools.

First, as to power-tools, I say that "they just let you make mistakes 200 times faster and deeper" than hand tools.

Second, in favor of hand-tools, I also say that I regularly prefer them because, "I know how to use them!"
(this is also the reason why I prefer certain "obsolete", trusty software, too, and operating-systems).

:Namaste:

--Joe

p.s. (but, don't call me "dinosaur" -- call me "T. Rex"!) :heya:
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:38 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:P., Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Technology provides us with the opportunity to hate more and at faster rates, should we choose to engage

I say something similar, to people who ask me why I don't use power-tools much in my woodworking, and mostly use hand-tools.

First, as to power-tools, I say that they just let you make mistakes 200 times faster and deeper than hand tools.

Second, in favor of hand-tools, I also say that I regularly prefer them because, "I know how to use them!"
(this is also the reason why I prefer certain "obsolete", trusty software, too, and operating-systems).

--Joe

p.s. (but, don't call me "dinosaur" -- call me "T. Rex"!) :heya:

Nothing the matter with dinosaurs, Joe- James Brown said, "Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud"- I've spent hours trying to download old books with new applications that were released for use prior to being debugged when all I had to do was go to the library-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm

partofit22 wrote:Technology provides us with the opportunity to hate more and at faster rates, should we choose to engage- It removes the notion of separateness, of land mass and oceans, of nautical miles, kilometers and time zones, translates language with images- You are saying what you are saying from the comfort of your discomfort, both of which are interconnected, strangely enough, to the very same strange phenomena you mention -- including cameras and scapegoats-

I new you were a republican, guns don't kill people!

I'm just joking you ofcourse, still I don't get the whole "removal of seperateness" to me it just seems technolology increases seperateness, at least in the (cowardly eyboard) sense, we say things online we would never say so directly at that person if we would meet them for a cup of coffee. I'm sure that whatever anyone says about Trump (for instance) wouldn't be said if we would meet him in person right? If we did, well then we would be 100x worse then him in general (nor would he), so in that particular context the mirror is the greatest technology ever. :)

When we meet someone whoever it is (Trump, Daila Lama, Hitler etc) he/she's never the person we thought them to be,
there's two reasons for that.

Ofcourse I'm not talking about constructively critizing one's behaviour here, but you got that already.
Still one's own vexations are the teacher... Klesha is Bodhi. :daisy:

Rarely do I see constructive critisism of behaviour and not the person (the memory attachment thingy again)

Greetings from a sunny Dutch day (feels like spring)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Joe, there's also the "noise"

I bought a 200 euro vacuum cleaner last year, used it once and gave it away, I still prefer to sweep with the birds.
The cats also prefer the broom, no rush.
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:23 am

fukasetsu wrote:
partofit22 wrote:Technology provides us with the opportunity to hate more and at faster rates, should we choose to engage- It removes the notion of separateness, of land mass and oceans, of nautical miles, kilometers and time zones, translates language with images- You are saying what you are saying from the comfort of your discomfort, both of which are interconnected, strangely enough, to the very same strange phenomena you mention -- including cameras and scapegoats-

I new you were a republican, guns don't kill people!

I'm just joking you ofcourse, still I don't get the whole "removal of seperateness" to me it just seems technolology increases seperateness, at least in the (cowardly eyboard) sense, we say things online we would never say so directly at that person if we would meet them for a cup of coffee. I'm sure that whatever anyone says about Trump (for instance) wouldn't be said if we would meet him in person right? If we did, well then we would be 100x worse then him in general (nor would he), so in that particular context the mirror is the greatest technology ever. :)

When we meet someone whoever it is (Trump, Daila Lama, Hitler etc) he/she's never the person we thought them to be,
there's two reasons for that.

Ofcourse I'm not talking about constructively critizing one's behaviour here, but you got that already.
Still one's own vexations are the teacher... Klesha is Bodhi. :daisy:

Rarely do I see constructive critisism of behaviour and not the person (the memory attachment thingy again)

Greetings from a sunny Dutch day (feels like spring)

I don't think most people who use the internet to communicate are insincere- Granted it affords people with more time to reply, to consider what they want to say, unlike face to face conversations- If we all paused as long in real life prior to saying what we wanted to say we'd be speaking Entish -- which wouldn't be half bad .. ?

I trust Nonin is who Nonin is online and in real life, kind and kind of temperamental- I trust Joe wouldn't hesitate to call me a dummy or worse- I trust others would stomp off and not talk- And if you think I sound weird online I'm worse in real life- Online behaviors do mirror offline life, no matter what's expected- They aren't separate-

I agree behavior isn't separate from the person who stands corrected, or would benefit from being corrected- It "feels" personal, but isn't- We're all mirrors, reflecting, seeing each other in the act of seeing, deflecting and whatever the heck else .. :hide: :daisy:

Today was one of those days when it felt like both Winter and Spring-
partofit22

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:41 am

dear folks, whaaaat? technology and power tools are nothing more than tools for our productivity, amusement or projection. let's not give them more credit than they are due.... we can take the credit for a range of projections if we wish, we might all relax and have a good laugh if we do, not to mention prosper from it. As far as meeting Drumph.... did you know that is his real name before he changed it? sorry, if you meet him over coffee and get sucked in, all hell is there for you. Eyes wide open, he does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the Dali Lama, or all you dear folks. Drumph maybe arising from the uncreated, it's no reason to believe it.

If this is the kali yuga, keep your eyes open dear ones. The last thing to worry about is bad speech, just tell the truth.

apologies if I am bursting in, I have my own fish to fry lately.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Linda,

Linda Anderson wrote: Drumph.... did you know that is his real name before he changed it?

I've heard slightly differently. In particular, that it was (is) "Trumpf".

In my senior year of high school a friend and classmate named "Stumpf" in the school was voted "Mr. Touchdown", a good football-player, and of German extraction.

I'm not interested or avid enuf to check Wiki or sumpfthing to see what someone may have put up re.: the candidate's surname. ;)

--Joe

p.s. (frying fish? pls. make mine fillet of Sole, Flounder, or Fluke. Or, any fish baked. Or grilled. "Strict-omnivore", here!).

p.p.s. Lassie asked: "Collie Yuga? Are we there, yet? Arf!"
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:40 pm

fukasetsu wrote:Joe, there's also the "noise"

Yes, that's also a big disincentive.

Knock wood, ;) , but I also still have all ten fingers.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:dear folks, whaaaat? technology and power tools are nothing more than tools for our productivity, amusement or projection. let's not give them more credit than they are due.... we can take the credit for a range of projections if we wish, we might all relax and have a good laugh if we do, not to mention prosper from it. As far as meeting Drumph.... did you know that is his real name before he changed it? sorry, if you meet him over coffee and get sucked in, all hell is there for you. Eyes wide open, he does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the Dali Lama, or all you dear folks. Drumph maybe arising from the uncreated, it's no reason to believe it.

If this is the kali yuga, keep your eyes open dear ones. The last thing to worry about is bad speech, just tell the truth.

linda

I think all time travel plots have holes, that memory doesn't serve us with the ability to speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but- But in my story he's a flounder, two eyes on one side of his body, at least that's what he looks like on tv when I look -- with my two eyes on one side of my body- There's a lot of fish being fried this time of year-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:dear folks, whaaaat? technology and power tools are nothing more than tools for our productivity, amusement or projection. let's not give them more credit than they are due.... we can take the credit for a range of projections if we wish, we might all relax and have a good laugh if we do, not to mention prosper from it. As far as meeting Drumph.... did you know that is his real name before he changed it? sorry, if you meet him over coffee and get sucked in, all hell is there for you. Eyes wide open, he does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the Dali Lama, or all you dear folks. Drumph maybe arising from the uncreated, it's no reason to believe it.

linda

Burst away friend :)

I don't see why he shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, I only see living beings not personalities.
Sure every vessel has a difference in form and behaviour but I would never take behaviour for something else as behaviour.
So I have no problem being mentioned in the same sentence, in fact if anyone ever would say there is anyone "less" then me in the 3 times,
I would have a "rant" ready myself. :PP:
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:06 pm

partofit22 wrote:I think all time travel plots have holes, that memory doesn't serve us with the ability to speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but- But in my story he's a flounder, two eyes on one side of his body, at least that's what he looks like on tv when I look -- with my two eyes on one side of my body- There's a lot of fish being fried this time of year-

Donut, dimwit, donkey, muppet... a flounder is a clumsy fish? :lol2:

Anyone can be opiniated however they feel about someone else, no probs, but saints and sinners have something in common,
there's always room for improvement in our behaviour, but my opinions about someone's behaviour can do more harm then good, so I just focus on myself and let the media circus for what it is. :daisy:
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:01 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
partofit22 wrote:I think all time travel plots have holes, that memory doesn't serve us with the ability to speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but- But in my story he's a flounder, two eyes on one side of his body, at least that's what he looks like on tv when I look -- with my two eyes on one side of my body- There's a lot of fish being fried this time of year-

Donut, dimwit, donkey, muppet... a flounder is a clumsy fish? :lol2:

Anyone can be opiniated however they feel about someone else, no probs, but saints and sinners have something in common,
there's always room for improvement in our behaviour, but my opinions about someone's behaviour can do more harm then good, so I just focus on myself and let the media circus for what it is. :daisy:

That's what I said- :) But it seems you didn't understand me maybe due to the language thing and my lack of clarity- Anyway, at this point I'm not afraid to vote for the candidate I support -- although I understand why many choose not to- However, we won't have another Republican president again any time soon- And if Hillary Clinton is elected based on fear, and not because she would make a better president, apathy will once again set in as it did after the events that took place at Kent State- America will once again be that sleepy, doe-eyed community where people fall asleep dreaming of a little drizzle of room temperature cool whip on an even smaller slice of reconstituted apple pie-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:56 pm

I know that's what you said, remember the whole 'using it as an amplifier thingy'?

That drift again :)
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:18 am

fukasetsu wrote:I know that's what you said, remember the whole 'using it as an amplifier thingy'?

No .. :hide: .. I don't remember the amplifier thingy ..
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:59 pm

partofit22 wrote:
fukasetsu wrote:I know that's what you said, remember the whole 'using it as an amplifier thingy'?

No .. :hide: .. I don't remember the amplifier thingy ..

All the more fun next time around, for I will now forget about it too :)
fukasetsu

Postby lobster on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 am

Nobbled Silence and only saying good and kindly words is all very well in the Purelands. Personally I live in a samsara world where Trump towers and Disney whirls. :hide:

In ZenLand harsh speech has to be acclimatised for the zennith practitioner. In other words it must float in one ear and out the other. How that is achieved depends on capacity and context. :daisy:

Initially and in most situations right speech is kind, peacable and guaranteed to be rightly heard. :ghug:
lobster

Postby cam101+ on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:48 am

I think, and this is simply my opinion and how I practice this question, that to have firmly held guidelines for anything is a problem. Sometimes something just needs to be said, and perhaps it could be classified as complaining, but in truth, some things require complaining about if things are to be changed for the better. I've met teachers that take forever to answer any question as they are turning it over in their minds what might be the proper way to say something w/o offending anyone. It seems a ridiculous way to respond. Besides, who's to say what is bad and what is good? That's a dualistic way of looking at life, and my experience has been that doing it creates vast suffering for myself and others that are around me.

If I have something to complain about, I will try to do it w/ the person involved, and in private. That's usually a good policy. Or I may complain a bit w/ others. Nothing drastic, just conversational stuff. There is a line where it may become inappropriate, and we all have to figure out where that line is. Complaining w/ some humor attached to it is a good way to go too, especially if the humor points back to our own follies and mistakes.

If it's a social injustice situation, then obviously it is necessary to complain (or point out I should say) what needs to be said in public. Each situation is unique, and will determine what the proper response will be. To go into anything w/ a system, or a set of fixed no nos, will not work very well, and will usually just make a situation worse.
cam101+

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:35 am

Sometimes working within a system, or the system, is great. Too many independent gun-slingers is inefficient and messy.

Working within a system, or the system, is also good for the system, in that the system gets worked and exercised, along the lines of its design and intended function. When a system is working well, it can be the justified pride of those who built it, and those who improve it. I think that, with human population the size it is now, the days of anarchy are numbered (or over).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:19 am

partofit22 wrote:When someone calls someone an asshole (or other derogatory things) it isn't a question- As a rule, it's a reflection- And when one does this repeatedly it isn't practicing skillful communication -- in other words, it's bad speech-

Exactly so.

Knowing and exploiting that skilfully is not always possible unless awake. Bad speech may then reflect back a distortion inciting good speech. Finding a bad mirror to reflect reality.

For example reflecting a demon, may bring out an angel and distorting into great insanity may bring out out a clearer mirror image ...

Believing is not seeing ... :heya:
lobster

Previous

Return to General Buddha Dharma