Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:25 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sanbo Kyodan Zen

New Koan book from Joan Sutherland Roshi

Discussions of Zen stemming from the Sanbyo Kyodan School founded by Yatsutani Roshi.

New Koan book from Joan Sutherland Roshi

Postby Carol on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 pm

Acequias & Gates by Joan Sutherland Roshi.

I've had the blessing of attending retreats led by Joan Sutherland Roshi and highly recommend her approach to koans.

Awakend Life founded by Joan Sutherland Roshi is part of the Pacific Zen School started by John Tarrant Roshi, which is an offshoot of the Diamond Sangha started by Robert Aitken Roshi, which is an offshoot of the Sanbo Kyodan line -- hence I've placed this announcement in the Sanbo Kyodan area. But what Joan does is a unique harkening back to the ancients in a modern but timeless revitalization. Extraordinary in my experience.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Re: New Koan book from Joan Sutherland Roshi

Postby another_being on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:11 am

Cool, Carol. :) I had to look up Acequis. Spanish, community-operated watercourses. Reminds me of Alan Watts' Tao book The Watercourse Way. It's a beautiful book. I liked their description too:

"And so to have this book is to have a piece of our temple. You become part of the
distribution of that temple through a large field of time and space. This also means that
Acequias and Gates is more than a book in the usual sense, which is why we tried to make it both beautiful and substantial : to reflect the radiance of the koan way, to provide a compelling piece of ritual gear, and to create something that might endure awhile in the world. This is a book meant to be used. This is a book meant to change your life."

Thanks,

John
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby Pedestrian on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Those who, like me, were daunted by the price tag for the books should note that the PDF is available for $4.99.
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:07 am

Yes Carol, Agree Joan brings something extraordinary. Grateful that we have spent time with her. :Namaste:
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Return to Sanbo Kyodan Zen