Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Formal Zen Practitioner Discussion Forum Chan

Chanting Chinese Chan Style

Issues related to Chinese Chan lineages.

Chanting Chinese Chan Style

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 pm

After learning the Japanese Zen style of chanting at Soto and Rinzai Zen centers, I was introduced to the Chinese Chan style of chanting at a sesshin at Dharma Drum Retreat Center in Pine Bush, NY. The style is called "Ocean Wave" and is quite different from the usual monotone style of the Japanese Zen. Guo Gu, who is a teacher in the Dharma Drum lineage from Master Sheng Yen has just joined ZFI today and one hopes the causes and conditions of the association will be fruitful for all. (On a personal note, I had the good fortune of attending a translation workshop presented by Ven. Guo Gu in San Jose, CA and was very nourished by the experience.)

Guo Gu is the head teacher at the Tallahassee Chan Group and has many audio files posted. Among them are files teaching the Chinese Chan style of chanting which I recommend to all to at least have the experience of hearing it if not the opportunity of actually sitting with a sangha to join in. This Ocean Wave style is a little more difficult at first because of the melody and Chinese pronunciations, but it "pays off the dividends" (to use a metaphorical non sequitur) when you get into it.

First class on chanting.

Second class on chanting

Chanting demonstration.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Re: Chanting Chinese Chan Style

Postby Chrisd on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:38 pm

I really enjoyed the Dharma Drum chanting style when I was in Poland. Dunno if this is exactly the same but it was indeed not monotone. Really enjoyable, nice addition to the retreat.
Chrisd

Return to Chan