Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Formal Zen Practitioner Discussion Forum Soto Zen

Is Silent Illumination the very same method as Shikantaza?

Practice related to Japanese Soto Zen lineages.

Is Silent Illumination the very same method as Shikantaza?

Postby ed blanco on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Studying Master Sheng Yen he mentioned Master Hoghzi's Silent Illumination, a lot, but I can remember if it is the same method as Dogen Zenji's Shikantaza and Just Sit.
It was some time back, but I remember Silent Illumination as a state of achievement one carries off the cushion into everyday life, while Shikantaza, although it too carries practice into daily acttivity, is a method of sitting with what arises, gently returning to the present moment in backward-step introspection.
In gassho,
Ed
:O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Re: Is Silent Illumination the very same method as Shikantaz

Postby Carol on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I believe those who teach "Silent Illumination" and those who teach "Shikantaza" believe the methods differ somewhat. Both have evolved separately since the 12th century when Dogen went to China, so you might say they've taken on a somewhat different "spin." This is based on my reading, primarily. I've attended Silent Illumination retreats at Dharma Drum Retreat Center, but have never practiced Shikantaza with a Soto Zen Teacher, so I cannot compare and contrast the two from my own experience.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby chang zhao on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:19 am

The Dharma talk "Shikantaza and Silent Illumination"
http://chancenter.org/cmc/1995/02/01/sh ... umination/

The methods are not different to the degree of incompatibility.
But different points may be emphasized.
_/|\_ Upasaka Chang Zhao (Constant Illumination), Dharma teacher since 2001.
chang zhao

Postby ed blanco on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks. Good stuff.
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby Guo Gu on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:20 am

ed blanco wrote:Studying Master Sheng Yen he mentioned Master Hoghzi's Silent Illumination, a lot, but I can remember if it is the same method as Dogen Zenji's Shikantaza and Just Sit.
It was some time back, but I remember Silent Illumination as a state of achievement one carries off the cushion into everyday life, while Shikantaza, although it too carries practice into daily acttivity, is a method of sitting with what arises, gently returning to the present moment in backward-step introspection.
In gassho,
Ed

ed, they're both methods of practice that are inseparable from our true nature. the way they're taught can differ widely from teacher to teacher. so the perceived difference is only on the outside. is shikantaza your practice? how does your teacher teach it?
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Return to Soto Zen