Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Formal Zen Practitioner Discussion Forum Common Practice Issues

Oryoki

Re: Oryoki

Postby Jugglesaurus on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:57 pm

We had genmai after zazen this morning, and did it floor style. I've never done it with so few people, after a "normal" zazen instead of at a big sesshin, and I think it felt quite different. Less intimidating, somehow.
Genmai should be terrible. It's overcooked mushy rice, even though the seasonings are nice - but it's somehow really nice and comforting. I'm even attempting to pickle some vegetables with salt and pressure overnight so I can have them with grain in the morning.
When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Jugglesaurus

Postby Pedestrian on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks for all of these useful posts!
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby Jok_Hae on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 am

In Kwan Um, we use four bowls, on the floor. I always see it as an opportunity to really practice together action. It is also a great opportunity to see my own selfish behaviors, which always occurs when someone is casually munching away while everyone else is finished. I just can't believe people can be so oblivious. Anyway, silent meals are a dance and an opportunity to pay attention.
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby Carol on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 am

Jok_Hae wrote:In Kwan Um, we use four bowls, on the floor. I always see it as an opportunity to really practice together action. It is also a great opportunity to see my own selfish behaviors, which always occurs when someone is casually munching away while everyone else is finished. I just can't believe people can be so oblivious. Anyway, silent meals are a dance and an opportunity to pay attention.

That's another thing ... I have trouble eating quickly. And, for many people, it's unhealthy and bad for digestion.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby Pedestrian on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 am

How speedy is it usually?
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby Carol on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 am

Pedestrian wrote:How speedy is it usually?

I guess it depends on different places. At our place usually I'm OK. Though sometimes it seemed too fast. Especially when I'm deep into retreat eating reequires a lot of chewing and looking and tasting and smelling.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby Jok_Hae on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 am

Carol wrote:
Pedestrian wrote:How speedy is it usually?

I guess it depends on different places. At our place usually I'm OK. Though sometimes it seemed too fast. Especially when I'm deep into retreat eating reequires a lot of chewing and looking and tasting and smelling.

One of our teachers is always saying "Chew your food!". There is a diffence, I feel, between gobbling everything down and eating with intention. I tend not to be first, but never last. Middle Path and all! LOL!
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Previous

Return to Common Practice Issues