Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 3:26 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Formal Zen Practitioner Discussion Forum Common Practice Issues

Chanting and Spit

Chanting and Spit

Postby Pedestrian on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:02 pm

In our local sangha, I regularly serve as ino or chant leader, and I'm having a rather awkward challenge. About half-way through the Heart Sutra (which we chant quite quickly with a mokugyo beat), I have generated enough spit in my mouth to choose either to swallow or to dribble liquid down my chin. I have consistently chosen the former and can certainly live with missing two syllables per Heart Sutra. But, just in case, I thought I'd ask to see if there are any techniques that might help with spit build-up.
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Re: Chanting and Spit

Postby Carol on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:28 pm

That's pretty funny, Chris. :) I've never had that problem. But most people do miss a couple of syllables when chanting, if only to breathe. Are you breathing enough?

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Re: Chanting and Spit

Postby Pedestrian on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 pm

One of our past sangha members is a musician who's given me some tips on breathing while chanting, and so I'm quite good there. Unfortunately, he's not been around much lately so I can't ask about this little spittle issue! :lol2:
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Return to Common Practice Issues