Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Trump turns Boy Scouts event into political rally

Re: Trump turns Boy Scouts event into political rally

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Marcel, g' morning,

fukasetsu wrote:Could you explain Joe, I don't see it.
Is there an English expression I'm missing in regard to blowing your own ghost (or death) sail or something?

Here's something that may interest you about US history. You see the "sail" on the boat? It is meant by the artist to look like a "Ku Klux Klan (KKK)" hood, the head-gear worn by white racists (mainly of the South of the USA) who would hold mass outdoor meetings at night, with cross-burnings, and then cross-burnings on black familys' lawns to terrorize them. They also carried out "lynchings" of innocent captured black men: hangings by the neck until dead. Murders. They did all these things while dressed in white gowns (or bed-sheets) and wearing pointy white hoods like that in the magazine cover being used as a sail, with the two eye-holes as shown. Head-leader of each local klan (clan) was / (is...) called a "Wizard".

And there is the image of Trump, trying to "pull himself up by his bootstraps", or, rather, provide propulsion or energy to his "presidency" by blowing hot air at the white racist KKK "sail". This image comes from the artist's notion that Trump at first claimed that violence was shown by both sides in the clash recently in Virginia, and that the mentality and character of the white racists and the counter-protestors were equivalent. Many (most?) in USA were appalled that Trump did not immediately come out to say that racism of all kinds has no place in America. He equivocated.

So the cover artwork shows an impossible situation, and the disturbing truth: one cannot propel oneself by blowing air at one's own sail; and one cannot advance oneself in USA by pandering to the white racist camp, although "one" tries!

Well, Marcel, I hope that does not "over-explain" it, and take the "fun" out. A disturbing but true bit of artwork!

Another magazine's cover (THE ECONOMIST) this week shows Trump using a KKK hood as a megaphone (old-fashioned, non-amplified, voice-projector, as used also at American football games by cheer-leaders of the past). Another effective piece of artwork that tells the story!

fuki wrote:I was more surprised that a magazine could "ask" 9 dollars

Ha, a couple of weeks ago I received a snail-mail offer from THE NEW YORKER magazine for a 26 week subscription for $20 (US). Less than a dollar an issue. They said it was a deal that they can offer to "Seniors", whereas I'd graduated high school a LONG time ago, so I don't know where they were coming from, and I recycled their letter. :tongueincheek: Actually, I declined because I used to subscribe, but just could not keep up with all the reading I had to do in those days. And nowadays, I have even more reading, if I want (being retired; and having time for recreational reading as well as professional).

--Joe

KKK_hoods.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks Joe!

I never saw a KKK sail in it, but even the sail is pointy now you mention it.
I saw casper the ghost and didn't recognize Trump in the boat, so had no clear idea what this was about.

No, explain as much as you can please, imagination (at least this kind) is not a hobby of mine, it only drains energy and even when you imagine you got it or are close it's often totally of, so I prefer people explaining things in detail instead of leaving room for suggestion, which is sometimes a sign "they" don't know as well but are to proud to say so while at the same time pretend to know something you don't. Yet I can't cast the first stone at all on that matter ;)

I prefer visual riddels, like the cat hidden in the garbage pile you once posted on the play thread.

For instance this painting by Bruegel has a 150 proverbs, that's fun, looking for things in words are no fun to me ;)

The wrong world- Pieter Bruegel.jpg

Here are 12 proverbs of the "blind leading the blind"
Notice the one on the bottom right, that was my first initial thought regarding the Trump boat picture, and then I saw Casper :lol2:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Good explain Joe... here's another part of this impossible situation. Gives me pause...

state trooper.jpg

This picture is not new... it makes the rounds and resurfaces every now and then. I recently read a story about the photographer who took it. The child was never identified, it happened in a flash and mom whisked the child away.

The protests get the press yet there is a lot more to sit with....

Apparently, this went viral on the web:
Black Farmer Gets Real in Viral Post About the Type of Subtle Racism He Fears Most
https://www.attn.com/stories/17287/farmers-post-about-racism-going-viral

then, there is The Duran and Counterpunch... each with a perspective, yet they don't make it up. :)

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Linda, what happened with North Korea?

One week I couldn't turn on the tv because it's about North-Korea,
The moment a few racists clowns and a few anti racist clowns start a fight everyday when I turn on the tv it's about that.
(I realise there's more news if you look for it but you catch my drift if you'd still have a tv perhaps lol)

To me this is also a distraction that's what I meant the other day with "give it no attention"
Seems to me the world is trapped in patterns of emotional/psychological behaviour, a week of North Korea, a week of Charlotsville, and pff how long is everything about Trump already, even Dutch tv is full of the dude, should I react based on my psycholigical patterns? Whether I'm a Trump supporter or not? Whether it rains or shines?

Not speaking about anyone on ZFI just an observation I'm "making" for a while now.
Again the source (our own minds) is much more interesting instead of the appearance of things and our bondage to it.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Agree, it's all a distraction.... North Korea is still there. The history of the US murder in North Korea is on record, they leveled the country and its infrastructure in the Korean War. That amounts to war crimes. NK is protecting themselves against a similar fate as Libya, etc. What is odd, but not really, is that the US avoids negotiation .... follow the money.

I'm doing my best to walk the line between attachment/upset and looking the other way. I don't have a TV... good thing, I wouldn't watch CNN or Rachael Maddow, etc. There's enough on the web, incl CNN. Seems to me, this is where the rubber hits the road with practice. I tuned out politics after Watergate until this last election. This country has no moral leadership... I can go nuts about that or I can look at the deeper patterns of karma at work. There is an abundance of psy-ops and illusion to see as well as the underpinnings of violence in the founding of this country .... it's a wake up call for this country and the planet. It's clear the forces are at work.

Agree, a few racist clowns... but it makes good ratings and $$ for the news. And, nobody notices what is going on behind the scenes which is far worse. It's debatable whether these statues should come down.... they are part of our history and should stand as symbols of our struggles. The liberals have gone over the top with reactivity too... so many points of view.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks Linda,

The world is the world and there's room for improvement no doubt, and if no one was emotionally or ideologically involved I guess we'd have no news :lol2: at the same time our attachments of trying to improve the world is what often does more harm to the world.
I think I'm starting to understand what Guo Gu means with "be free" it's not about avoiding or inviting news, it's about not "being moved" regarding our psychological patterns, and our reactions as the outcome of it.

It's hard to find harmony between the outer and inner world indeed, but it seems in full attention without a conceptual center the difference between the outer and the inner simply is not there, but I keep slipping into patterns myself too, which is fine because I enjoy observing how 'mind' actually works. On the cushion it's all so simple but turning away from the world isn't an option because that is the very same pattern, trying to get rid of vexations is in itself a vexation, ain't it wonderful how the nature of ignorance is the very nature of Buddha! We only have to observe our "minds at work" nothing to grasp or turn away from, the world is not outside of mind. :daisy:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Haters, hate- Including those who hate the haters- Neither of which falls into the category of activism- The white nationalists desire a specific condition, an all white condition- An all white condition to be "returned to" that never existed to begin with-

The statues- The statues shouldn't be removed- They should be moved from a place of glorification to a place of remembrance -- such as a cemetery- The removal of statues didn't begin until after this past presidential election -- but the removal of the flags of The Confederate States of America, being flown in certain locations, took place prior to the election- This is what they look like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

The Confederate States themselves after the Civil War were treated as conquered territory rather than states where slavery was abolished- The removal of the statues is being handled in same manner-

The cartoons on the magazines- They suggest that our current president is behind the current rise of white nationalism- I don't agree, but I still find the cartoons funny- As for the current rise, I would look to Dylann Roof- I think he "set sail" to the current rise and that the president is responsible for blowing wind into the sail-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylann_Roof

9 bucks for a magazine .. also a joke .. :)

The blind leading the blind is one of my all time favorite paintings- And The Raft of the Medusa -- both Gericaults and the Pogues .. Rum Sodomy and the Lash-

North Korea, at this time, is "thinking about" not bombing Guam- :) So EVERYTHING IS OK!!! :lol2: Not-
partofit22

Postby Spike on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Linda Anderson wrote: I don't have a TV... good thing, I wouldn't watch CNN or Rachael Maddow, etc. There's enough on the web, incl CNN. Seems to me, this is where the rubber hits the road with practice. I tuned out politics after Watergate until this last election.

I have found that the Rachel Maddow show, on tv, is one of the most intellectual, decent, well-researched shows on air. I have watched it since the very first show, and before that watched as Olbermann (my sanity-saver) mentored her. She may not be perfect, but she is head-and-shoulders above pretty much every other media journalist or pundit (excepting Amy G., & PBS et al). Her parents must be so proud.

Linda Anderson wrote:This country has no moral leadership... And, nobody notices what is going on behind the scenes which is far worse.

Well, certainly, not enough people expected this or have woken up to it yet. Predict Trump will be a one-term president as a direct result of the damage done, because enough people who made a mistake voting last time will will be made aware of that damage, through the reporting of people like Maddow(D), Chris Wallace(R), Shep Smith(R), Nicole Wallace(R), by the next election.
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:30 am

research, eh?

Rachel Maddow, 8/18/2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GkW6OMVkW0
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Spike on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Teresa, I can picture it... a graveyard for statues, wonderful idea!

Great place to attract and protect bird species too :)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:research, eh?

Rachel Maddow, 8/18/2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GkW6OMVkW0

I watched 20 seconds linda, is there any main message you can summarize?

I like Kate Bolduan on CNN, because she always shows here personal opinions in her facial expressions and speech, kind of fun since often they pretend to be "neutral" or have their "tv presenter mask" on .I'm never to interested in the contents of the speech, but it's "fun" observing ppl now and then. I dunno she makes me smile at times, as if it was someone I knew speaking on my couch.
Seems like a strong woman, and I love "strong" woman. :heya:

ps Sorry Spike, ppl are "it" to me too, dunno why, perhaps because male/female are only apperance thingies.
With "it" it's like saying "living being"
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I watched the whole thing, it is largely commentary. Ofc, there are some facts and history. And, the Russiagate has yet to be verified as correct. Does she ever mention all the election scandals on this side of the pond, the DNC, etc.? She has her spin....IMO
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm going to watch the gong show (2017) now S01E08, Mike Myers cracks me up :daisy:

Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Why aren't all monuments, statues, memorials created equal?
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm

g'morning, Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Why aren't all monuments, statues, memorials created equal?

For that, we'd have to ask their "creators". Or, better, the consortia who commission (pay for... ) them to be "created".

But people's taste(s) change(s) with time, and certain creations become fodder for the dust-bin after a while. Sick of seein' 'em, or 'im (very few statues of women are controversial; or perhaps very few exist).

A teaching (in words) of Buddhadharma is "Impermanence". Everything changes. Not just "taste"! E.g.,

"Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?"

Here's a fellow who influenced the Beatles to pose that perennial (unfortunately unchanging!) question all over again. :tongueincheek:

--Joe

desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:g'morning, Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Why aren't all monuments, statues, memorials created equal?

For that, we'd have to ask their "creators". Or, better, the consortia who commission (pay for... ) them to be "created".

But people's taste(s) change(s) with time, and certain creations become fodder for the dust-bin after a while. Sick of seein' 'em, or 'im (very few statues of women are controversial; or perhaps very few exist).

A teaching (in words) of Buddhadharma is "Impermanence". Everything changes. Not just "taste"! E.g.,

"Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?"

Here's a fellow who influenced the Beatles to pose that perennial (unfortunately unchanging!) question all over again. :tongueincheek:

--Joe

Did Buddha statues ever fall out of favor?

I've no bedpost/s but I once had a wad of Bazooka get stuck in my hair while swinging on a swing and laughing-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Did Buddha statues ever fall out of favor?

Yes, ma'am. Well, it's really a pretty sore point, is it not?: The colossal carved statues at Bamiyan were exploded by Taliban.

And the carved faces on Mount Rushmore are not much liked by native Americans, nor ever were.

There may be other examples but let's let these two serve just now.

OK, and, well, LOTS of destruction of Buddha images in Tibet with the inrush of the Chinese Han taking over the country, and continuing now. And destruction of Living Buddhas, there. :cry:

I've no bedpost/s but I once had a wad of Bazooka get stuck in my hair while swinging on a swing and laughing-

Brings back memories of swinging (on a swing) and presuming it's good preparation for the astronaut-training I was sure I would do some day.

And, ah, yes, Bubblegum... . Sorry it got in your hair! (I hope the ice-cube fix did the trick).

--Joe

Taller_Buddha_of_Bamiyan_before_and_after_destruction.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

The Trumpster is in Phoenix and will appear at a "rally" there today.

The winner of the Unpopular-Vote is thus 100 miles up the road from me.

I'll be staying here. Of course there will be people there happy to see him and turn out for him; others will protest his very existence, and his doings, and sayings.

Members of his Party I think are worried that he may stir up another hornets' nest of violence and hate. And Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is no friend of this president. Neither is Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).

I'll keep an ear to the rails. Hope I see no mushroom clouds to my North-Northwest. Maybe just some thunderstorm build-up: it's still "Monsoon", despite yesterday's perfect skies for the Solar Eclipse (remaining "perfect" here today, so far).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:OK, and, well, LOTS of destruction of Buddha images in Tibet with the inrush of the Chinese Han taking over the country, and continuing now. And destruction of Living Buddhas, there. :cry:

It's no longer hip anymore to mention Tibet Joe, like everything that's posted and reposted becoming a collective viral sensation, eventually loses its allure. Like Trump will too.
Did you know the handpicked next Dalai Lama was kidnapped by China and is probably still being indoctrinated, if he's alive that is.
They are creating their own next Dalai Lama, a fake copy of an imitaton, maybe an emperor will even compose a book in his name and make it a "modern" testament of the truth.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events & Politics