Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Meat in U.S. Public Schools is Unfit for Human Consumption

Meat in U.S. Public Schools is Unfit for Human Consumption

Postby Boatman Bodhisattva on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:06 pm

The meat from spent egg-laying hens is routinely fed to our school children, despite being rejected by fast food restaurants as unfit for human consumption. Now I understand why many parents send their kids to school with a packed lunch.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) oversees the school lunch program countrywide. Although there are strict guidelines in place, a significant percentage of the millions of pounds of meat consumed by children in the school cafeteria continually fail to meet quality standards imposed by fast-food outlets.

No parent would feed their child meat only fit for pet food or compost, yet meat from “old birds” is exactly what children are being served at school, as found by USA Today’s investigation. Even KFC and the Campbell Soup Company refuse to buy such meat because of quality considerations, and these corporations stopped doing so more than a decade ago – yet our children are eating this very type of questionable quality meat...

Not only are school children being served meat unfit for even a McDonalds’ burger, but they are also at risk of ingesting harmful bacteria and pathogens hidden within the food. Some reports suggest that fast-food restaurants actually check for bacteria and pathogens between five and ten times more often than school lunch meats. An independent investigation conducted by USA Today concluded that out of 150,000 tests on school beef, most did, in fact, satisfy the criteria imposed by other large beef buyers. Alarmingly, however, there were cases where the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), which purchases meat for schools, bought meats with pathogen and E. coli levels which even exceeded acceptable levels for fast-food outlets!

Pathogens and bacteria housed in school cafeteria food are thought to be responsible for many stomach virus outbreaks nationwide...
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog ... usda-truth
I mean no disrespect to forum members on my ignore list. Gassho. __/\__

"Reciting the name of the Buddha constantly... His own body is the limitless body of Amida, the treasure trees of seven precious gems, the pond of the eight virtues." - Hakuin Ekaku

https://matthewsatori.tumblr.com/
Boatman Bodhisattva

Re: Meat in U.S. Public Schools is Unfit for Human Consumpti

Postby partofit22 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Another facet to the school lunch story, many children choose to eat the processed meat, such as chicken nuggets, but throw their apples, oranges, carrot sticks, lettuce and tomato away- The waste is insane-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:38 pm

I actually don't understand why schools provide food at all,
All we had at school when I was a kid were those little milk packages with straws once a week.
I've never been at a school which provided for lunch, during lunch you either walk back home and eat at home or have packed lunch from home.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Boatman Bodhisattva on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:44 pm

fukasetsu wrote:I actually don't understand why schools provide food at all,
All we had at school when I was a kid were those little milk packages with straws once a week.
I've never been at a school which provided for lunch, during lunch you either walk back home and eat at home or have packed lunch from home.

It's because of parents who can't or won't pack their kids a lunch. With food stamps available to the general public, most parents could pack their kids a lunch if they really wanted to.
I mean no disrespect to forum members on my ignore list. Gassho. __/\__

"Reciting the name of the Buddha constantly... His own body is the limitless body of Amida, the treasure trees of seven precious gems, the pond of the eight virtues." - Hakuin Ekaku

https://matthewsatori.tumblr.com/
Boatman Bodhisattva

Postby fukasetsu on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Boatman Bodhisattva wrote:It's because of parents who can't or won't pack their kids a lunch. With food stamps available to the general public, most parents could pack their kids a lunch if they really wanted to.

Ok thanks I had no idea that happened
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:33 am

fukasetsu wrote:I actually don't understand why schools provide food at all,

https://www.fns.usda.gov/nslp/national-school-lunch-program-nslp

The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act, signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.

My sister ran a lunchroom in a public school for just over a decade in a public school, grades 1 - 8- Lunches arrived prepared in styrofoam packaging, hot or cold, along with a cooler of beverages- There was also boxes of fruit as well as canned fruit packaged in little plastic containers with lids-

Some parents didn't bother to apply for the program, some forgot to send their children to school with their money for the lunch, some of them forgot to send them to school with the vouchers for the program, some simply sent their children to school with no lunch year round- Whatever sealed food or fruit any child didn't eat she would give to the children who didn't have anything -- many of which used to sit in the lunchroom and cry because they were hungry- She also used to purchase peanut butter and jelly and bread and make sandwiches for the children on a daily basis-

This was decades ago, today she wouldn't be allowed to give the children anything by law due to allergies and other legal reasons- And although that has changed, the waste remains the same- Tons of food thrown in the trash while others go hungry- It makes no sense ..

But the meat is the issue .. which they prefer to eat .. and throw their vegetables and fruit away ..
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:59 am

Thanks, to me the issue is that there's a school lunch program to begin with.

I found an Dutch article from someone who studied for food/health stuff and did research in US schools, perhaps interesting.
This is her site btw
https://www.liesbethsmit.com/english/

the translation is from google translate so it wont be perfect

School Lunch

The US government has a surplus of minced meat, cheese and milk. The solution to that problem is the School Lunch Program. So eat middle school kids between the afternoon nacho chips, pizza, enchiladas and cheeseburgers. "Just like Burger King".

When I visited Harvard's exchange program for the kitchens of primary and secondary schools, my mouth was amazed. In the kitchens were pots with transvet. The bulk of the milk products sold by the schools was chocolate and strawberry milk, with about as much sugar as soda.

In the dining room, I saw how children overlooked the salad - well salad ... three pieces of iceberg lettuce with a half slice of tomato - in favor of the drill pudding with whipped cream filled with high fructose corn syrup. The children choose what they like best.

I add Judy, the director of the school lunch program, what the kids got for vegetables. "The tomato sauce on the pizza, or the vegetables in the meat sauce," she told.

That schools provide children with junk food is a matter of money. The program has no more than a few dimes (a dime is ten dollar cent) at its disposal to make "a nutritious lunch". The menus compilers are therefore assigned to the unhealthy foods that the government subsidizes.

Oh, the Ministry of Agriculture USDA has tried to improve the situation. The USDA has called for a subsidy for soy protein, so that a healthy alternative for fat red meat is found. The meat industry "made it clear that if the regulation was released, they would withdraw their support from Bill Clinton's reelection campaign," said Michele Simon, a watch dog who closely monitors the American food industry. [Appetiteforprofit.com] Industry, afraid of its position, plays with the health of American children.

I wonder if the USDA has a nutritionist in service. According to the USDA legislation, a fruit juice may replace some of the vegetables, and its sweet muffins are equivalent to the nutrient rich and whole wheat bulgur. [USDA.gov]

The cooking team in the school kitchen I visited mainly consists of mothers
Of children and try to make the best of it. Although the chefs themselves do not eat what they prescribe the children, "because it's neither good nor tasty", they encourage the children to eat enough protein. That means they throw extra cheeses or minced meat on the nacho chips.

At one of the schools, Group Six had submitted a petition for larger portions at Judy. The teacher asked me to talk to the children. Armed with Walter Willett's newest dietary pyramid, I asked them if they wanted larger portions because they were hungry for the rest of the day, but that was not the case. "It's not so much if you get into a restaurant" was their answer. It was an hour before lunchtime, and half of the children had a bottle of semi-healthy water for themselves or a bag of chips in the classroom.

Healthy

The children asked me why untouched pasta was at the top of the pyramid, and so be limited to being eaten. "Wheat is healthy," thought the children. The chefs also thought wheat or wheat flour was healthy. It is hard to explain that wheat or wheat does not automatically mean that a product of whole grain grains is made, but can be just as well based on white flour.

"How are they putting calories in food?" Asked an overweight boy. With stupidity I tried to explain that calories are everywhere, and you are eating right to get those calories.

I told Judy that the Netherlands does not have a national school lunch program, and that children take their own sandwiches to school. Sadly, they called out that habit is a health hazard.
Bread you take does not keep you in the fridge and can cause food poisoning, she found. I told her that Dutch people are not so afraid of bacteria. During all the time when children in the Netherlands eat uncooked sandwiches, I have never heard of food poisoning.

In addition to bacteria, American schools are afraid of allergies. In recent years, the number of children with food allergies in the US has increased rapidly, according to the school nurse. Because a girl has a nut allergy at a school of eight hundred children, the cooks can not use peanuts or nuts as meat substitutes. There is a continuous state of alertness around nuts, while you do not hear about the quality of the rest of the food with no word.

The number of children buying a pack of plain white milk at American schools is to count the fingers of one hand. Chocolate milk is favorite. And according to the posters of the Dairy Council, which is all over the school, it's very healthy. Chocolate milk provides healthy bones and energy. When I suggested not to offer a chocolate milk, the people of the program told me that they would get the parents of the children on their roof. The youngest children will cry when there is no milk with a taste. And parents protect the "right of my child to drink chocolate" with all power.

Usually, the schools can not be different. Every package of milk that they sell gives the school money. If the sale of milk drops, the school will be in cash. The same goes for the transvet-made bags of chips that the children buy during the time in the canteen. Another Judy argument for selling these snacks is that most children do not have breakfast. If they eat chips, they can at least concentrate.

I had trouble containing it all. In my childhood I ate a sandwich with ham or peanut butter. I had never heard of enchiladas or nachos. Unfortunately, I did not get used to it. But I am happy to see that my visit to the program has resulted in a small revolution. After my visit, the trans fat has disappeared from the kitchens and the youngest children get only plain white milk, without sugar and without taste. Whether they are crying or not.

Would you say this is accurate (the blog is from 2008)

ps transvet=trans fat
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 am

fukasetsu wrote:Thanks, to me the issue is that there's a school lunch program to begin with.

I found an Dutch article from someone who studied for food/health stuff and did research in US schools, perhaps interesting.
This is her site btw
https://www.liesbethsmit.com/english/

the translation is from google translate so it wont be perfect

School Lunch

The US government has a surplus of minced meat, cheese and milk. The solution to that problem is the School Lunch Program. So eat middle school kids between the afternoon nacho chips, pizza, enchiladas and cheeseburgers. "Just like Burger King".

When I visited Harvard's exchange program for the kitchens of primary and secondary schools, my mouth was amazed. In the kitchens were pots with transvet. The bulk of the milk products sold by the schools was chocolate and strawberry milk, with about as much sugar as soda.

In the dining room, I saw how children overlooked the salad - well salad ... three pieces of iceberg lettuce with a half slice of tomato - in favor of the drill pudding with whipped cream filled with high fructose corn syrup. The children choose what they like best.

I add Judy, the director of the school lunch program, what the kids got for vegetables. "The tomato sauce on the pizza, or the vegetables in the meat sauce," she told.

That schools provide children with junk food is a matter of money. The program has no more than a few dimes (a dime is ten dollar cent) at its disposal to make "a nutritious lunch". The menus compilers are therefore assigned to the unhealthy foods that the government subsidizes.

Oh, the Ministry of Agriculture USDA has tried to improve the situation. The USDA has called for a subsidy for soy protein, so that a healthy alternative for fat red meat is found. The meat industry "made it clear that if the regulation was released, they would withdraw their support from Bill Clinton's reelection campaign," said Michele Simon, a watch dog who closely monitors the American food industry. [Appetiteforprofit.com] Industry, afraid of its position, plays with the health of American children.

I wonder if the USDA has a nutritionist in service. According to the USDA legislation, a fruit juice may replace some of the vegetables, and its sweet muffins are equivalent to the nutrient rich and whole wheat bulgur. [USDA.gov]

The cooking team in the school kitchen I visited mainly consists of mothers
Of children and try to make the best of it. Although the chefs themselves do not eat what they prescribe the children, "because it's neither good nor tasty", they encourage the children to eat enough protein. That means they throw extra cheeses or minced meat on the nacho chips.

At one of the schools, Group Six had submitted a petition for larger portions at Judy. The teacher asked me to talk to the children. Armed with Walter Willett's newest dietary pyramid, I asked them if they wanted larger portions because they were hungry for the rest of the day, but that was not the case. "It's not so much if you get into a restaurant" was their answer. It was an hour before lunchtime, and half of the children had a bottle of semi-healthy water for themselves or a bag of chips in the classroom.

Healthy

The children asked me why untouched pasta was at the top of the pyramid, and so be limited to being eaten. "Wheat is healthy," thought the children. The chefs also thought wheat or wheat flour was healthy. It is hard to explain that wheat or wheat does not automatically mean that a product of whole grain grains is made, but can be just as well based on white flour.

"How are they putting calories in food?" Asked an overweight boy. With stupidity I tried to explain that calories are everywhere, and you are eating right to get those calories.

I told Judy that the Netherlands does not have a national school lunch program, and that children take their own sandwiches to school. Sadly, they called out that habit is a health hazard.
Bread you take does not keep you in the fridge and can cause food poisoning, she found. I told her that Dutch people are not so afraid of bacteria. During all the time when children in the Netherlands eat uncooked sandwiches, I have never heard of food poisoning.

In addition to bacteria, American schools are afraid of allergies. In recent years, the number of children with food allergies in the US has increased rapidly, according to the school nurse. Because a girl has a nut allergy at a school of eight hundred children, the cooks can not use peanuts or nuts as meat substitutes. There is a continuous state of alertness around nuts, while you do not hear about the quality of the rest of the food with no word.

The number of children buying a pack of plain white milk at American schools is to count the fingers of one hand. Chocolate milk is favorite. And according to the posters of the Dairy Council, which is all over the school, it's very healthy. Chocolate milk provides healthy bones and energy. When I suggested not to offer a chocolate milk, the people of the program told me that they would get the parents of the children on their roof. The youngest children will cry when there is no milk with a taste. And parents protect the "right of my child to drink chocolate" with all power.

Usually, the schools can not be different. Every package of milk that they sell gives the school money. If the sale of milk drops, the school will be in cash. The same goes for the transvet-made bags of chips that the children buy during the time in the canteen. Another Judy argument for selling these snacks is that most children do not have breakfast. If they eat chips, they can at least concentrate.

I had trouble containing it all. In my childhood I ate a sandwich with ham or peanut butter. I had never heard of enchiladas or nachos. Unfortunately, I did not get used to it. But I am happy to see that my visit to the program has resulted in a small revolution. After my visit, the trans fat has disappeared from the kitchens and the youngest children get only plain white milk, without sugar and without taste. Whether they are crying or not.

Would you say this is accurate (the blog is from 2008)

ps transvet=trans fat

Yes, it's accurate-

Today, I think many parents care more about what their children eat but they're a minority- More will still defend their children's preferences and rights to eat what they like- A sizable percentage of the country is overweight, including children-

America's eating habits seem to have always been in flux to some degree, according to history- Couple that with people eventually becoming less active-
partofit22

Return to Current Events & Politics