Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Yogi Berra (1925-2015)

Yogi Berra (1925-2015)

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:11 pm

The first yogi I knew, Yogi Berra, has passed away.

He was a great Catcher for the New York Yankees baseball team, and was a Coach and Manager for them too.

He's known too for his enigmatic and funny sayings.

"It ain't over 'til it's over" is one of his (said during one of the World Series playoff seasons). Also his, are:

"You can observe a lot by just watching."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

And...

"I really didn't say everything I said."

His wife Carmen once asked him where he wanted to be buried. He said,

"I don't know, Carm, surprise me!"

There was something of the "koan" in these sayings, when we heard them.

Some years ago TRICYCLE Magazine published an article by my friend and sangha brother, Brad Stroup, featuring some of the sayings of Yogi Berra.

--Joe

Yogi_Berra_1956.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Re: Yogi Berra (1925-2015)

Postby Nonin on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Joe,

I'm a die-hard Yankee hater. I inherited it from my father. However, I always loved Yogi Berra. He was one of the greatest ever.

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Dear Abbot Nonin,

Nonin wrote:I'm a die-hard Yankee hater.

Hmm, there may be some Zen Buddhist practices to dissolve that obstruction! e.g. (?),

** kinhin, around the Four Bases of the Diamond! (sounds Vajrayana?).

** Pitch from atop Mound Meru!

** Sit nine years facing the wall of the dugout with Bodhidharma !

I inherited it from my father.

Forgivable, then. Yet this karmic obstruction may be difficult to completely root-out! Perhaps for your Penance, please attend Spring Training, in lovely Florida or Arizona weather.

However, I always loved Yogi Berra. He was one of the greatest ever.

Ah-h. Yessir. Well, I think this warrants what Catholics call Absolution, then. Yer off the hook! :)

Hands palm-to-palm,

:Namaste:, and good morning,

--Joe

ps R.I.P., Yogi... .

After Yogi, the next earliest yogis I heard of were (also) on TV. Huston Smith had a TV show in the 1950s on which he taught World Religions, and introduced Hatha Yoga. I remember him wearing socks, sitting Lotus on a wooden desk! And then there was Richard Hittleman's TV series.

Here journalist Bill Moyers interviews Prof. Huston Smith. A segment of Smith's TV series on world religions begins at 05:00 on the time-counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHxiUSGOTw

Here, Richard Hittleman's son Josh tells about his Dad, in an eight-minute video. Hittleman's presentation and treatment of Hatha Yoga on TV, in his series "Yoga for Health" could afford to be more complete and systematic, and he made many programs and practice sessions, teaching it on the air for several years. TV stations also repeated and replayed the programs years after their production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FoK5XG8mk
desert_woodworker

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:17 pm

He is the Baseball Bodhisattva in my stats book.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:40 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Hmm, there may be some Zen Buddhist practices to dissolve that obstruction! e.g. (?),

Joe, you don't understand "sports" (winning and losing) so take it with a grain of salt.
I never would use that word myself but I'm sure you understand it makes the game more interesting.

I don't hate any team I just support my own team, but I will always "hope" the Patriots lose, will always hope Ajax lose, at the same time it's all play and it's not granted any reality, just part of the play, nothing serious, it depends on the crowd.

Also as a "Feyenoord" supporter I have befriended many ex hooligan "Ajax" supporters whom's hate (the serious active version) has now dissolved because of our friendship, so even then it brings folks 'together' or at least they realize the idea of 'seperation' is just foolish...
Unless we're playing ofcourse :)
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Fuki,

fukasetsu wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Hmm, there may be some Zen Buddhist practices to dissolve that obstruction! e.g. (?),

Joe, you don't understand "sports" (winning and losing) so take it with a grain of salt.

Yes, you're right. I have a definite blind-spot (a lack of interest and caring), there.

But I admire the wisdom and great heart of the great players, as people. Yogi was one of the greatest adepts to ever love the game, and his wisdom and warmth continue to inspire and shine.

:Namaste:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks Joe, I confess I've never heared of Yogi before this thread popped up (although there was a remembrance even on a Dutch sports channel a day later) I know many characters from US sports but hardly from baseball (I just follow it when the Tigers make the playoffs)

I am interested now since he is mentioned on ZFI, I will look into if there's a documentry being made about Yogi, it should pop up on the torrent sites I figure. But for the moment I am in the dark about Yogi the Bodhisattva.

ps I also love the Yankees, when they lose :)

When they win I conveniently remind them that win and loss is a phantasy the conditioned mind adds to perception.
When "my team" wins I know it too but still favour the dreamish the moment, but I can't fool myself in that area anymore. :daisy:
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:He is the Baseball Bodhisattva in my stats book.

_/|\_
Gregory

I agree-
partofit22

Return to Current Events & Politics