Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:43 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Retired US Marine General opines on US ISIS engagement

Retired US Marine General opines on US ISIS engagement

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu May 21, 2015 3:14 pm

NPR radio in USA this morning features a 5-minute interview with retired Marine General Gregory Newbold who opines on the US engagement with ISIS. It cannot be "timid", he says.

The General claims that ISIS must not only be destroyed by overwhelming force, but also humiliated, so that the very idea of a "Caliphate" can no longer be seen by anyone as a viable option for the Middle East.

The interview is here:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... 162&live=1

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Re: Retired US Marine General opines on US ISIS engagement

Postby Michaeljc on Thu May 21, 2015 9:20 pm

I feared an escalation way back when I started the topic, 'Situation in Syria'

The US and allies will eventually win the battles but can never win the war. ISIS will scatter into terror cells

High impact, decisive action, means higher civilian casualties. Obama knows that this is not politically defendable. Yet another US invasion?

The disturbing thing for me is that NZ military are now involved. We wont make a difference and do not need to be there

m
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri May 22, 2015 12:27 am

Yes, Michael, I fear that this commentator's unofficial comments might be the harbinger of official comments from the gov't. Here we go (may be going... ) again.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 am

My enemy's enemy is my friend. Right now (among others) it is the Shiite militia from Iran, who hate the Sunni sects (ISIS). Muslim against Muslim. These militia were removed from the conflict due to committing atrocities in captured towns. Now they are being called back in as they are the only ones with enough hatred to fight (aside from the Kurds who are only interested in protecting their own lands). The 'well trained' (after the second Iraqi invasion) Iraq army is a shambles. The are being re-trained by the the likes of the NZ military who have never been in battle :blush:

Work that lot out Bro's - an exit strategy?

m
Michaeljc

Postby fukasetsu on Sat May 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Michaeljc wrote:The disturbing thing for me is that NZ military are now involved. We wont make a difference and do not need to be there

Mike miltary equals politics, even if it seems totally useless that a military is involved, there's always a reason for military to be involved, there are "deals" and "friends" made under the table, stuff that will never make the media or some 'wikileak'.
You might have high hopes for your country (understandable since NZ and CAN are like the new and improved Dutchies) but no government is free from activities without any scheme that involves corruption and self-interest for the powerful (even though it might turn back on the people who've had no business or saying in those decisions)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Return to Current Events & Politics