Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Climate Change - Ajahn Sujato's Blog

Re: Climate Change - Ajahn Sujato's Blog

Postby Humbaba on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:09 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Is there a bright side to any of this? Yes -- the opportunity and strong motivation to develop renewable fuel sources and energy sources on a massive scale worldwide. That means jobs, of many types, and technological advances of all kinds. Let's give it a push forward.

More jobs, more economic growth = more emissions

Green technology is important, but on its own it won't stop climate change. People earning high salaries in advanced green technology want a good life with a big house, more consumer goods, more travel, etc. All of this takes fossil fuels and other resources.

Thus, we need sustainable economy models that don't require growth. We need to learn that less can be more.

It is up to us in the industrialized world, who have the biggest historical carbon foot print, to make a start.
Humbaba

Re: Climate Change - Ajahn Sujato's Blog

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:31 pm

H.,

Humbaba wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Is there a bright side to any of this? Yes -- the opportunity and strong motivation to develop renewable fuel sources and energy sources on a massive scale worldwide. That means jobs, of many types, and technological advances of all kinds. Let's give it a push forward.

More jobs, more economic growth = more emissions

Ah, but the emissions will be sustainable ones, not new ones based on further fossil carbon being mined and burned. That is the difference, the very, very B-I-G difference. Liquid fuels, especially in Transportation, will always be necessary (until they are not). I mean, I doubt that "Nuclear" is going to replace them, ever.

One less job could be arranged, in your case (say), if you are interested, ...and not already retired. :PP:

It is up to us in the industrialized world, who have the biggest historical carbon foot print, to make a start.

No sir. Not even close. Let anyone invent the alternatives, popularize them, market them, or license them. I don't mind if it's not "me", or not "us". Do you suffer from the "Not-invented-here" syndrome, or something? Work for IBM, eh? Don't give in to it. Recognize a good idea when you see it.

Let's count our blessings, no matter who brings them to the fore.

:lol2:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Previous

Return to Current Events & Politics