Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

California Drought

Re: California Drought

Postby Chrisd on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Do you think Joe is an alien? :hide:
that would explain a lot! :lol2: :P

partofit22 wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:People of Earth:

:lol2: Thank you for that! :lol2:
Chrisd

Postby partofit22 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Chrisd wrote:Do you think Joe is an alien? :hide:

partofit22 wrote:

Omg .. I laughed so hard when I read that .. :lol2: .. But I don't think he's an alien because he didn't say, "I come in peace" .. :lol2:

although .. who knows??? :tongueincheek:
partofit22

Postby Chrisd on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:54 pm

partofit22 wrote:
Chrisd wrote:Do you think Joe is an alien? :hide:

partofit22 wrote:

Omg .. I laughed so hard when I read that .. :lol2: .. But I don't think he's an alien because he didn't say, "I come in peace" .. :lol2:

although .. who knows??? :tongueincheek:

hahaha good one :lol2: Joe you know what to do next...
Chrisd

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Earthlings:

Well, I HAD come in peace. But now my patience has worn as thin as the soles of my holey running-shoes. ;)

Just like some of the old Ch'an worthies, I know I'll have to pay the price of all the sandals I've worn-out, walking this Great Earth, in my incessant comings and goings.

But, all you Terrans!, be grateful for gravity! (if you've seen the movie, "Gravity", you'll understand). And, be grateful for friction. And, hear!-hear!, yes, let's hear it, for vortexes... (vortices)!

:O:

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:07 pm

hiya, Chris,

As you know, Old Man, "explanations" go only 'so far'. Don't count on them for MUCH! :tongueincheek:

--Joe
ps (not an alien; a 'natcherl'-born citi-Zen). :buddha:

Chrisd wrote:Do you think Joe is an alien?
that would explain a lot! :lol2:
desert_woodworker

Postby Chrisd on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Indeed Joe! :)

desert_woodworker wrote:hiya, Chris,

As you know, Old Man, "explanations" go only 'so far'. Don't count on them for MUCH! :tongueincheek:
Last edited by Chrisd on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisd

Postby Chrisd on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:23 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Earthlings:

Well, I HAD come in peace. But now my patience has worn as thin as the soles of my holey running-shoes. ;)

Just like some of the old Ch'an worthies, I know I'll have to pay the price of all the sandals I've worn-out, walking this Great Earth, in my incessant comings and goings.

But, all you Terrans!, be grateful for gravity! (f you've seen the movie, "Gravity", you'll understand). And, be grateful for friction. And, hear!-hear!, yes, let's hear it, for vortexes... (vortices)!

:O:

--Joe

hahah :lol2:
gravity was pretty cool indeed. & I hear ya with your vortex :)X
Chrisd

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Chris,

Chrisd wrote:gravity was pretty cool indeed. & I hear ya with your vortex :)X

Well, sir, your hearing is good, then. Evidently you haven't been to enough "Def Leppard" concerts. Smart! :lol2:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:00 am

all good humor on a sinking ship ....

who is facing the fact that Lake Mead is at it's lowest point ever, Las Vegas is in denial... and what about the rest of the recipients of Lake Mead? This is not some idle concept ripe for practice... what is your response when the rubber hits the road :cry:
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:25 am

I have just looked at average annual rainfall for Californian cities

Sth Cal looks to average around 13 inches, Nth Cal around 20 inches

Wow! these are semi-arid locations. For a comparison, where I live average is 70 inches

Semi-arid locations have to expect periodic droughts, just like in Australia

It is clear that much of California's water requirement comes from "somewhere else", which always involves somebody else

Given its own climate, maybe its gotten too greedy :blush:

Its is really about economics: all that water going to agriculture
Michaeljc

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Michaeljc wrote:Given its own climate, maybe its gotten too greedy :blush:

Yes, the whole globe could do with less of what California produces- :)

partofit22

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:49 pm

:) Touching
Michaeljc

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 pm

I know a limerick .. or two .. :)
partofit22

Postby Michaeljc on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 am

Historically, New Zealand is a hellishingly difficult place in which to forecast weather. Although being small, the islands can have quite different weather within their 15 regions. 30 years ago we used to say, “If you expect the opposite to the forecast, you will have a 50% chance of being right”. :lol2:

Inroads into accurate prediction over the last 5 years is astonishing. They are predicting incoming showers within a matter of hours. This is due to 2 modern technologies: real-time satellite imagery and computing power. Modern meteorologists are mainly mathematicians. Prediction comes down to analysis of past events and the application of mathematical statistics. While satellites can follow existing conditions in real-time they cannot predict anything. Prediction comes down the huge number-crunching power of modern computers. They end up spitting out a prediction along with a percentage of probability. It will never be 100%.

Most of us here will have heard that we are in an El Nino cycle. The probability of this being the case is probably in excess of 95%. Two months ago the New Zealand MetService predicted cold conditions throughout the country during winter. They have been right on the money. They have now come out and predicted, with a 90% probability, that El Nino will persist right through to March.

In New Zealand we can expect the next 3 months to be significantly colder than average. We know that this weather pattern extends across much of SE Australia, 2000 km away. Establishing the actual extent of this weather-cell is difficult, as is predicting how it will effect average global temperature.

What can we can expect is that your weather throughout the next 6 months will probably be quite different to what you experienced last year. Maybe more rain in California. The main influence of El Nino is higher than normal rain in some regions and less than normal in others (drought)
Michaeljc

Postby partofit22 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Black plastic balls, filled with water, being used to create shade .. I just learned about this .. amazing ..

The tactic prevents the chlorine in the water (used to disinfect it from pathogens) from reacting with sunlight to become bromate, a suspected carcinogen. It also protects water sources from wildlife and blocks it from the sun to reduce evaporation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/12/plastic-shade-balls-the-hypnotizing-tool-california-is-using-to-save-water/
partofit22

Postby partofit22 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 pm

According to reports a very small percentage of CA has received enough rain to pull them out of drought conditions- I do hope it continues- We had another dry summer, which was the second dry summer out of the 3 most recent- Sept and Oct brought the rains, the leaves this year have been incredibly beautiful and long lasting- Here it is the 7th of Nov and many of the trees still have leaves- It's been unseasonably warm -- and enjoyable ..
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Not far from (parts of) CA, my Arizona desert city received a bit more than the "average 30-year annual" rainfall thus far this year.

To date, 15.2 inches of rain has fallen in my precision rain gauge ( = 38.6 cm rain).

A graph is below, showing my results as accumulated-rain since Jan 1, 2016, and as single-event rainfall events.

Weeds here have been a nuisance this year. ;)

--Joe

rain_to_date_2016_Nov07.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Previous

Return to Current Events & Politics