Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Postby partofit22 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:27 pm

partofit22

Re: Moonshadow

Postby bokki on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:12 pm

cat stevens..lv it been there a lot....
ur pic!
lol
whats up?
so good ull have 2 explain a bit plz
lol
plz whats up with this pic of urs?

zfi ! i c it all! lv u lol! im lazy..b back!
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA
bokki

Postby partofit22 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:02 pm

bokki wrote:cat stevens..lv it been there a lot....
ur pic!
lol
whats up?
so good ull have 2 explain a bit plz
lol
plz whats up with this pic of urs?

zfi ! i c it all! lv u lol! im lazy..b back!

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipse2017

There will be a total solar eclipse today, across a path in the US- We do not live in the path, we will receive about 80%- Even if cloudy, it will get dark- :)
partofit22

Postby Linda Anderson on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm keeping Dolly in til it's over... no telling, she might get confused...

Amazing coverage by NASA... 4.4 million ppl watching on the web. where is Joe?
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Great eclipse! Perfect photometric-quality clear skies here, today. What good luck.

Had lots of fun. Too much to say right now.

I hope everyone saw what they wanted, and may even have been surprised, or very surprised.

--Joe

p.s. I regret I did not have a load of just-washed clothes to dry on the clotheslines outside today. I could have told people, "Hey, the t-shirt I'm wearing was dried in the shadow of the moon the other day!" Maybe next eclipse... . :tongueincheek:
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 pm

I didn't know about the eclipse but thanks to Teresa's post I could still see the kentucky and north carolina ones on cnn, was pretty cool. My mom went to Africa somewhere in the 90's on an eclipse vacation, I wouldn't take a single step to see one, but I enjoy listening to the science behind it.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 am

The cicada became quiet then the crickets began to chirp, it became cooler and we could see the shadow, which is what I was looking forward to- We all laid down in the grass- It was so calm, the air barely moved- There were a few passing clouds- It didn't get dark, but more like filtered early twilight -- but brighter .. Peaceful-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:18 am

partofit22 wrote:The cicada became quiet then the crickets began to chirp, it became cooler and we could see the shadow, which is what I was looking forward to- We all laid down in the grass- It was so calm, the air barely moved- There were a few passing clouds- It didn't get dark, but more like filtered early twilight -- but brighter .. Peaceful-

Lovely.

ps did you feel any wind increase during the eclipse?
I read on a scientific page or blog that the temperature does drop but the reported wind people mention is "psychosomatic" (my word they said something different) the measurement of wind shows no icrease but people feel it.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 am

The eclipse was wonderful and enjoyable, and the sky conditions were perfect in the desert for the event.

I observed the eclipse in several ways, including with the hydrogen-alpha telescope. There were many prominences at the limb of the sun, and with the H-alpha-filtered telescope one does not need a total eclipse to see them. What I did not see, with only a partial eclipse here, was the corona, the ghostly and dynamic outer atmosphere of the sun: observers along the zone of Totality saw that.

Below is a graph of solar radiation (light) measured here during the day. First-contact of the Moon against the disk of the Sun was at 9:16 AM, mid-eclipse was at 10:36, and last-contact was at 12:02 PM. You can see the drop in the insolation, the energy received from the Sun, due to obscuration of a part of the Sun's disk, about 60 percent obscuration, here. The curve should otherwise be smoothly rising and then smoothly falling, as the sun rises, reaches a culmination at high-noon, and sets, when there are no clouds, and no eclipse. Today's dip in insolation during the morning was due to the partial solar eclipse here.

--Joe

insolation_eclipse_21Aug2017.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
partofit22 wrote:The cicada became quiet then the crickets began to chirp, it became cooler and we could see the shadow, which is what I was looking forward to- We all laid down in the grass- It was so calm, the air barely moved- There were a few passing clouds- It didn't get dark, but more like filtered early twilight -- but brighter .. Peaceful-

Lovely.

ps did you feel any wind increase during the eclipse?
I read on a scientific page or blog that the temperature does drop but the reported wind people mention is "psychosomatic" (my word they said something different) the measurement of wind shows no icrease but people feel it.

No, it was calm- Doldrum type calm, where there was almost no movement-
partofit22

Postby TTT on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 am

When
TTT

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Here's a view of crescent Sun images cast upon the bricks of a patio walkway surface of mine on Aug. 21 2017 at the mid-point of the solar eclipse here, about 10:30 AM local time (MST Zone = UTC minus 7 h); the sun was about 65 percent obscured.

True North is exactly along the lines between the bricks, toward the upper right corner.

Spaces between branches and leaves of Oleander acted as "pinholes", and projected images of the eclipsed crescent Sun onto the ground seen in the photo. I intentionally left all the dried Oleander flowers and leaves to accumulate, for the effect they would cause.

The picture thus tells another story also: the rains were generous here during the desert thunderstorm monsoon season (about 6 inches fell in two months), and caused much flowering and growth of leaves, etc., but the rains quit suddenly and dry desert heat returned unusually early, killing many flowers and leaves, which then fell from the Oleander branches to the ground.

Cacti are doing OK.

--Joe

crescents_oleander.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Return to Current Events & Politics