Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Current Events & Politics

Trump turns Boy Scouts event into political rally

Re: Trump turns Boy Scouts event into political rally

Postby partofit22 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:41 am

Boatman Bodhisattva wrote:Is this a Scouting rally or the Hitler Youth?

Unlike Trump, Obama was actually a Boy Scout.

I appreciate that you believe you see a similarity- I wouldn't have noticed it, and still don't, just looking at the photo- To me he looks like he's waving- But coupled with the speech I do understand what you mean -- if you are suggesting, in your own words, to pay attention, be aware and be careful-
partofit22

Postby partofit22 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:56 am

fukasetsu wrote::lol2:

Funny, my mom is the same kind of cook and so am I, since I nor my mom's 2 other kids have any offspring
at least I can't pass that habit on :lol2:

I remember the airing of CNN int 24, I loved it because as a teenager I had troubles sleeping, so I just put on CNN closed my eyes and listened to the voices, which put me to sleep within a few minutes. I sometimes still do put on CNN at night, and when I wake up in the morning with the tv on I know it's always on cnn and no other channel. I don't watch it for the news (Linda) I just have the tendency to find the american accent soothing if you focus on it, and it's the only 24 american channel here, if I'd put on british tv I would just find the accent amusing and dutch tv only run sex adverts at night :lol2: I can fall asleep without tv easily, but I still like to do it with cnn at times.

ps if such a thing would ever happen (mixing government with politicians from other nations) you are in for a culture shock, because on dutch tv we have no need for censorship, for instance last week an interviewer asks a politician in the house (you can just walk up to them outside of the cabinet most politicians ride their bikes or walk instead of being protected into limousines) "So when you were talking in the debate did you put your dick out and put it on the table" And everyone just laughs, the politician who got the question, the most of serious tv shows they show it on, the audience. So prewarn your politicians, because there's no censorship concerning nudity, swearing or anything like that.
One of the funniest things ever when on the network the EO (evangelical network) the host of the show said "cunt" on a gameshow, they didn't even edit it out. We also have a show called "spuiten en slikken"(shoot/spit and swallow) which is a show about drugs and sex where politicans show up to, the ppl who make the show even test out drugs and sexual fetishes and there's no censorship, it is actually an educational program very helpful especially to teenagers.

I'm sure- :) http://www.anupartanen.com/ In this little book she explains what it is actually like to move from Finland to live in the US- What stuck out for me when I read it was the way in which she began to experience her health fail from contending with as well as experiencing high levels of stress from dealing with the cumbersome way in which people are subjected to conduct every day functions like dealing with big and even little business because of all they (the businesses) can get away with- She does a much better job of explaining it -- and it was her after all who experienced the switch/swap .. :)

edit: I live in a swing state that leans more towards Republican where we live, opposed to the more liberal cities -- even though the city is only a stones throw away- Folks here tend to be a bit stoic but they've preserved much from the past- I grew up on the east coast in New Jersey (just outside of NYC) which is no longer like the New Jersey I grew up in but where I live now is more like New Jersey was when I was a kid than the way New Jersey is today- I can appreciate the way in which they've preserved it, which to me says a lot about these stoic folks .. Also, I love the land here .. but I'm still a fish out of water here, too .. and imagine it would be no different for me in that respect in Finland :lol2:

The Finland you describe kind of reminds me of the 70's in the US .. :)
Last edited by partofit22 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:10 am

I enjoy the very colorful crowd in the photo.

But I think too that they may be about 100 percent white-faced, and very few "of-color". No problem: it's a Boy Scout event, and Boy Scout ("Jamboree"?) turn-out, and not a Trump event (he seems merely to have "hijacked" it, for a spell, for a facile photo-op, and spiel).

I'm Caucasian; but with my Arizona-tan, well, I am often supposed by some to be an Indigene. Same when I worked in Chile. But, then, folks realize I'm too skinny. Yes, obesity and diabetes are the scourge of many of our Native Americans. Native foods have yielded to sugary and fatty convenience ("junk-") foods. Alas... . It's sinister!

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 am

go ahead and enjoy the colorful crowd and the undefined meaning of this whole event.... I'm not having any of it. Call me when you know that we are losing our freedom.

Zen practice has no business in politics... as we see. Go back and read the archives about the Zen Priests who looked the other way during WWII.

I am done with this false acceptance. Practice does not avoid seeing things as they are.... the man is NOT waving.

And, I don't agree children don't understand what this is all about... they are not stupid and easily pick up on nuance and attitude at an early age and boy scouts are not so young... first there are cub scouts, then boyscouts. Whether they understand or not, they repeat the rhetoric until it becomes their belief. DT was bullying his administration... it was not lost on the children who are tuned into power and judgement at an early age. DT just gave them a good lesson in BULLING other ppl. In case you don't know, bullying is a growing problem... Children know this, they are tuned into getting approval, they learn that this is the way.... on and on.

The truth is, when zen turns to this kind of attitude, I have no use for it. This discussion has lost touch with what is real, IMO.

Lucy says....jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Linda Anderson on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 am

Well, the Shimano thread is closed.... this seems the right place for this. Spike.... where are you?

for me, this article is not to be taken seriously..... we've seen it too often....

When the Teacher F’s Up, What’s a Buddhist to Do?
https://www.lionsroar.com/when-the-teacher-fs-up-whats-a-buddhist-to-do/

Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby partofit22 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 pm

At this point I'm making a request for some access to insight -- in other words, clearly express what's already been said so the child in us can see, too- Someone, anyone, lift a lamp and ditch the riddles already-

There is a man, standing- He's addressing a crowd of predominantly white, young, males- Afterwards, there are parents- Complaining- Complaining about the man- Complaining that this man, in particular, who has been labeled as a racist, should not have been invited to speak at this predominantly all white Jamboree- Complaining that the apology offered by the head of the organization of which their sons are members wasn't enough when in reality it's the parents that are "sorry"- I have to admit, the sea of colorful shirts are pretty ..

And, yes, it could look like a repeat of history-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Dear Linda,

Linda Anderson wrote:Zen practice has no business in politics... as we see.

Tee-hee, ha-ha! That's not the Linda I knew before the election!

Many of us recall the threads which treated various candidates, nicely larded-up with good critique and some humor, besides. Not that there's much that is funny in the aftermath of said election, except perhaps for the presumptuous president's continuing tin-ear, and vile and vulgar attitude, intent and actions, plus his incompetence on every front (including even the ceremonial ones).

I don't understand the intent of bringing "Zen practice" in. We're just people, commenting. Do some of us have a practice? Why, soitenly! We continue as people. Some of us as citi-zens. Others, as equally-concerned citi-zens of this same small planet, and of their nations, which are affected by the actions and non-actions of our nation.

Just keeping balanced, right at about the spot of the belly-button.

When I oppose this administration on every front, I don't need to mention Zen practice at all. Although I'll admit that it's Zen practice that "makes" us dangerous: fearless, committed, compassionate.

See what it all looks like in the cold light of day, this morning. With warm regards,

:Namaste:

--Joe

regal_Wabbit.jpg

Curly_505.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Agree Joe, when we oppose we don't have to talk about zen practice. There is a genuine response, practice can support it.

What I see for better or worse is that the last few posts attempt to neutralize what is happening, perhaps as a reaction to the spin on the OP. Surly you know there are harmful energies afoot. To simply say DT is waving, is just waving IMO is neutralizing the energy present as well as the reaction in the audience. This forstalls any appropriate action, it's like covering our eyes and ears and then wondering why things didn't turn out soo good. I don't see that the campaign discussion had any meat to it. We have generally avoided politics, the forum is not about politics but there is room for misc topics. We are not living in the dharmakaya, we can call a spade a spade. I've seen this in sangha when ppl think their zen is working because they didn't get impatient in traffic, etc, etc .... all sorts of examples pop up, ppl just wanting to be free of unpleasant feelings. The reference to WWII was a long discussion on this forum about the zen priests who supported the war efforts in Japan.

I think in these times we need to keep our eyes open and get informed. There is plenty to read... The practice for me then becomes how to be present to what it happening with some equanimity, yet first we have to see it clearly as best we can and assess as best we can .... MSM is not be be relied on as the only source of info. Many other sources are out there saying it like it is.... some opinions/bias to sort thru too....

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby partofit22 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm laughing .. :lol2: From the belly, the heart, the mind, the soul -- as a whole .. Let's not get "carried away" with the waves ... :lol2:
The waves are playful ... until one whirls them about a bit too much with one's whisk .. :)
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Joe, I didn't know there was a samurai hidden in you, and a funny one too I don't even have to paint you glasses and a moustache.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Marcel,

fukasetsu wrote:Joe, I didn't know there was a samurai hidden in you, and a funny one too I don't even have to paint you glasses and a moustache.

Maybe I take after my cats. Soft pussy-cats, yes; but don't forget those ...claws.

I'm a survivor of the '60s. We persisted, ...despite Nixon, the Draft, and Vietnam (and lots of pop-stars dying at age 27), so we had to be a bit radicalized. "Radical" is what I like about Zen Buddhism, too: gets at the root.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:21 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:I'm Caucasian; but with my Arizona-tan, well, I am often supposed by some to be an Indigene. Same when I worked in Chile. But, then, folks realize I'm too skinny. Yes, obesity and diabetes are the scourge of many of our Native Americans. Native foods have yielded to sugary and fatty convenience ("junk-") foods. Alas... . It's sinister!

--Joe

I'm caucasian too but since I shave about 5-6 times a year many silly Dutch people think I'm a Muslim just because of the beard.
I don't see the resemblence
https://postimg.org/image/3kxuunok3/

I consider more to be a look a like of Oblomov
https://postimg.org/image/p8mt53oyb/

ps what's sinister? Apologies my perception is a bit cloudy, probably had an OD on oxygen today from riding the bike for hours in the woods.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:23 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:I'm a survivor of the '60s. We persisted, ...despite Nixon, the Draft, and Vietnam (and lots of pop-stars dying at age 27), so we had to be a bit radicalized. "Radical" is what I like about Zen Buddhism, too: gets at the root.

--Joe

Nice Joe, it looks good on you, I never left the mickey mouse days.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Fuki,

fukasetsu wrote:ps what's sinister? Apologies my perception is a bit cloudy, probably had an OD on oxygen today from riding the bike for hours in the woods.

"Sinister" is like an evil plot.

I'm claiming that the poisoning of the health of many Native Americans by the commercial diet of fast-food and junk-food purveyors is "sinister". The healthy, slow-foods of their traditional diets is being replaced by inexpensive, fast, junk. And of course by alcohol, too. Diabetes and obesity are epidemic on Native Reservations, here, and among the Native populations not on Reservations. BTW, much of my state of Arizona is Native American ("Indian") Reservation land (see map).

--Joe

State_Arizona_Native_Reservation_Lands.gif
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:46 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:"Sinister" is like an evil plot.

I'm claiming that the poisoning of the health of many Native Americans by the commercial diet of fast-food and junk-food purveyors is "sinister". The healthy, slow-foods of their traditional diets is being replaced by inexpensive, fast, junk. And of course by alcohol, too. Diabetes and obesity are epidemic on Native Reservations, here, and among the Native populations not on Reservations. BTW, much of my state of Arizona is Native American ("Indian") Reservation land (see map).

--Joe

Got it, thanks.
Few days ago they showed on tv here, in Washington one of those new hip salad bars, 11 dollars for a salad in the parks all people were excercising, reminded me a bit of the beaches in California where everyone seems to be health obsessed, or at least body-appearance obsessed.

but outside of the "rich part of town" they said "and here's the real America" indeed lots of overweight people and streets filled with fast food places with cheap burgers and such. No such thing here, will be interesting to see for me, that is if they have a similair situation in a town like Tallahassee. I agree it's sinister though, it manifests in inequality all around the globe.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:06 am

fukasetsu wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:I'm a survivor of the '60s. We persisted, ...despite Nixon, the Draft, and Vietnam (and lots of pop-stars dying at age 27), so we had to be a bit radicalized. "Radical" is what I like about Zen Buddhism, too: gets at the root.

--Joe

Nice Joe, it looks good on you, I never left the mickey mouse days.

Nevermind Marcel.... I lived with the Mouse in those days, so to speak.... tho I knew what was going on. I've always been glad that I didn't have that moment in time imprinted on me. Life moves and grooves.... if anything, I'm more of a free spirit now tho you might not know by looking at me. We all wanted the best for the world!

despite our persistence, we accomplished nothing.... sad to say. Those were the glory years of peace and love, it was an astounding experiment.... don't you know that we are in the grip of evil... like the man waving at all the colorful shirts.... but don't be confused, it's been going on since Nixon (actually before).... Nixon had the last laugh.... he started the criminalization of the sacred plant in the name of suppression... they knew what they were doing.... in the name of suppressing the protest of war... in the name of a new kind of slavery in our prisons. Just look under the petticoat. Millions of lives lost.... Viet Nam was small compared to what followed. it was a radical experiment that we wanted to prevail... just look around.... it lives in our hearts, perhaps that is enough. The world will have it's way with us.
Last edited by Linda Anderson on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:20 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Fuki,

fukasetsu wrote:ps what's sinister? Apologies my perception is a bit cloudy, probably had an OD on oxygen today from riding the bike for hours in the woods.

"Sinister" is like an evil plot.

--Joe

Sinister is the word, Joe.... Sinister as you describe.... Sinister because we are all being poisoned by same food.... Sinister going back to when the days when alcohol was introduced to the Natives.... they knew only too well how deadly it would be. Don't kid yourself, we are all poisoned by air, food and water. And, AZ is not the land of the free or the tolerant....

Here's a movie about destruction of the indigenous way of life in South America by the church.... "The Mission" w Jeremy Irons.... Probably there are others about the US, I don't know them.... no matter. The wicked pattern is the same what we did even in this century in South America... Hawaii and on and on...... so tragic.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:Nevermind Marcel.... I lived with the Mouse in those days, so to speak.... tho I knew what was going on. I've always been glad that I didn't have that moment in time imprinted on me. Life moves and grooves.... if anything, I'm more of a free spirit now tho you might not know by looking at me. We all wanted the best for the world!

despite our persistence, we accomplished nothing.... sad to say. Those were the glory years of peace and love, it was an astounding experiment.... don't you know that we are in the grip of evil... like the man waving at all the colorful shirts.... but don't be confused, it's been going on since Nixon (actually before).... Nixon had the last laugh.... he started the criminalization of the sacred plant in the name of suppression... they knew what they were doing.... in the name of suppressing the protest of war... in the name of a new kind of slavery in our prisons. Just look under the petticoat. Millions of lives lost.... Viet Nam was small compared to what followed. it was a radical experiment that we wanted to prevail... just look around.... it lives in our hearts, perhaps that is enough. The world will have it's way with us.

Linda if someone would not perceive you as a "free spirit" I'd say they must be blind.

That's the magic of t.v. I've seen so much of this from kid to now that I perfectly understand what you're talking about,
and the magic of the internet is how we can communicate about such matters now.

Though I'd say that most of the stuff on the internet is quiet destructive and in a percentage a platform for evil (yes unskillful too Joe)
the most obvious example being "red rooms"

The world is a silly place, you need a license for driving a car,
but you don't need a license to raise kids or have access to the internet.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Spike on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:44 pm

The Trumpster and lil' Kim swap hairstyles:

http://imgur.com/lIuLT0z

Not different . . .
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike