Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture

Zen/Buddhist films

Re: Zen/Buddhist films

Postby partofit22 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm

fukasetsu wrote:Did you see Interstellar already?

Yes, I watched it last night and can't say much about it without spoiling it for others- I think the main message is fused, forgiveness and effort- But threading it all together, everlasting love-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:29 pm

partofit22 wrote:
fukasetsu wrote:Did you see Interstellar already?

Yes, I watched it last night and can't say much about it without spoiling it for others- I think the main message is fused, forgiveness and effort- But threading it all together, everlasting love-

Thanks parto, this was my fav 'section'' of the movie;
We love people who’ve died ...
where’s the social utility in that?
Maybe it means more - something we
can’t understand, yet. Maybe it’s
some evidence, some artifact of
higher dimensions that we can’t
consciously perceive. I’m drawn
across the universe to someone I
haven’t seen for a decade, who I
know is probably dead. Love is the
one thing we’re capable of
perceiving that transcends
dimensions of time and space. Maybe
we should trust that, even if we
can’t yet understand it.

rumi - what you seek.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm

"Zen/Buddhist" films? The kind with no picture, no sound, you just sit? Those are good. Some are action-packed thrillers; but I'd say the better ones are not. ;)

Otherwise, I always think of "Dersu Uzala", the movie by Kurosawa, based on DERSU UZALA -- THE HUNTER, by Arseniev. This was an Academy Award winner in 1976 for Best Foreign Language Film.

Dersu Uzala is the hunter and trapper, and he is of the Goldi race of people. He speaks Chinese and Russian. In the wilderness where he lives and hunts and traps Sable, he meets a Russian military surveying team, surveying to make maps of the area in Siberia. He befriends the Captain of the expedition (and vice versa!).

Dersu is a natural man, with natural ways. It's impressive to see such a one.

The movie is beautiful in its cinematography and story. I recommend it very highly.

--Joe

Dersu_Uzala_Kurosawa.jpg

Dersu_and_Arseniev.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Chrisd on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 pm

nice quote fuk. I'll admit when I heard it in the movie I thought ogosh it's this (only) personal love thing again. May have missed something there.
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:59 am

Chrisd wrote:nice quote fuk. I'll admit when I heard it in the movie I thought ogosh it's this (only) personal love thing again. May have missed something there.

Chris I didn't give way to the lure of interpretation of what was said, but remember when you take yourself to be a person you will see the personal in anything. Anyways parts of the movie (like the above) brought tears to my eyes because I feel the writer (and or director) had at least an intuitive understanding of Love, it is like the movie wrote itself, at the end when we see what it actually is that is moving the books, everything right there is at that point which was clear to me from the beginning of the movie when the books first moved (and normally I never understand movies for I'm too lazy intellectually to give a crap about plots) but this movie is the most brilliant piece of work I ever saw, I understand that it is subjective, surprisingly after talking to many folks who saw it (practisioners and all included) the only one who 'got' it so far was my mom, normally when I ask her what the movie is about I get a 15 minute rant about the plot and what not, but this time she only spoke the one word. This too was a great experience, so we watched the movie a second time together. It's a true work of art.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:41 am

From Op-Ed Columnist David Brooks: Gravity and Love

"I suspect “Interstellar” will leave many people with a radical openness to strange truth just below and above the realm of the everyday. That makes it something of a cultural event."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/opinion/david-brooks-interstellar-love-and-gravity.html
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:51 am

partofit22 wrote:From Op-Ed Columnist David Brooks: Gravity and Love

"I suspect “Interstellar” will leave many people with a radical openness to strange truth just below and above the realm of the everyday. That makes it something of a cultural event."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/opinion/david-brooks-interstellar-love-and-gravity.html

Right, I got the sense that the writer of the movie, had no scheme of being clever or anything, but expressed it quit authenticly and humble.
Like any piece of art it can change one's perspective completely, so it can break the bonds of memory and self-fixation and one can embrace the beauty of the Unknown. (the Home of the Real) ;) So "strange truths" wouldn't be my words of choosing, but no biggy.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:22 am

desert_woodworker wrote:"Zen/Buddhist" films? The kind with no picture, no sound, you just sit? Those are good. Some are action-packed thrillers; but I'd say the better ones are not. ;)

Otherwise, I always think of "Dersu Uzala", the movie by Kurosawa, based on DERSU UZALA -- THE HUNTER, by Arseniev. This was an Academy Award winner in 1976 for Best Foreign Language Film.

Dersu Uzala is the hunter and trapper, and he is of the Goldi race of people. He speaks Chinese and Russian. In the wilderness where he lives and hunts and traps Sable, he meets a Russian military surveying team, surveying to make maps of the area in Siberia. He befriends the Captain of the expedition (and vice versa!).

The movie is beautiful in its cinematography and story. I recommend it very highly.

--Joe

Dersu_Uzala_Kurosawa.jpg

Dersu_and_Arseniev.jpg

I bought this dvd about ten years ago and is just sitting (pun intended) somewhere, thanks for the reminder, would be a nice idea to unwrap the sealing and watch it one of these days. Actually it would be nice if I met a movie enthousiast/collector one day so I can give away my 2000+ dvd collection, with all the art and stuff in the house I could use some space and say goodbye to old hobbies.

Talking about "just sitting" and beautiful cinematography Joe, do you happen to know the movie Andrei Rublev (1966)?
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:22 am

Fuki,

I hope you'll unwrap the Dersu Uzala DVD and view it soon. Then we can discuss it a little here.

There is a market for "used" DVDs. You could sell your 2000 movies slowly, or in batches, to vendors who buy them to re-sell. This is a good way to ensure that you can keep them in circulation among people who appreciate them. I should do the same thing, with books, but it's awfully hard for me to part with a book, unless it's really bad, or else I'm not ready to read it, and will never be.

Some transfers of the Dersu Uzala movie have better-worded subtitles than others. For example, I loved the wording of the translations in the subtitles of the VHS tape version, but on the DVD I have, they are not as good. But if you've never been "spoiled" by the tape version, you'll be alright! :tongueincheek:

"Your assignment -- should you choose to accept it" -- is to view that (long!) movie. Afterward, you'll feel you've been on a 3-day weekend sesshin.

"Strong practice!", :lol2:

--Joe

ps thanks, I don't know "Andrei Rublev" (1966). Checking now!
EDIT: Tarkovsky, eh? I saw his "Stalker" (1979), viewed it with a young Ukrainian mathematician-programmer here who inflicted it on me. She'd loved it for years, so I had high expectations. I found it monumentally depressing, and I have to say, boring. Oh, well! I was more interested in my friend than in her movie, anyway. ;)

fukasetsu wrote:I bought this dvd about ten years ago and is just sitting (pun intended) somewhere, thanks for the reminder, would be a nice idea to unwrap the sealing and watch it one of these days. Actually it would be nice if I met a movie enthousiast/collector one day so I can give away my 2000+ dvd collection, with all the art and stuff in the house I could use some space and say goodbye to old hobbies.

Talking about "just sitting" and beautiful cinematography Joe, do you happen to know the movie Andrei Rublev (1966)?
desert_woodworker

Postby Nothing on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Few days ago I watched "Thirteenth Floor" , so I also recommend it .

Next to watch is "Dersu Uzala".
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Postby Caodemarte on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:17 pm

Tarkovsky's "Solaris" is a masterpiece. I am not sure if it is a Zen Buddhist masterpiece, maybe a Yogacara masterpiece. It has a very gradual buildup so be patient.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby partofit22 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:04 am

I've a question about Interstellar .. :Pick Me!: .. (Ive watched it twice ..)

Spoiler Alert :pop:

Why was his future self telling his present day daughter to convince him to stay instead of going to space when he needed to go to space to transmit the information to his daughter in order for them to save mankind?
partofit22

Postby TTT on Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 am

partofit22 wrote:I've a question about Interstellar .. :Pick Me!: .. (Ive watched it twice ..)

Spoiler Alert :pop:

Why was his future self telling his present day daughter to convince him to stay instead of going to space when he needed to go to space to transmit the information to his daughter in order for them to save mankind?

I remember that. I culd not see the entire movie, maybe i will see it some time Parhaps she whanted him to stay cos she liked him?
When
TTT

Postby Nothing on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 am

Caodemarte wrote:Tarkovsky's "Solaris" is a masterpiece. I am not sure if it is a Zen Buddhist masterpiece, maybe a Yogacara masterpiece. It has a very gradual buildup so be patient.

Yes, it is a great movie , excellent build up.
Nothing

Postby Nothing on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:45 am

desert_woodworker wrote:

--Joe

It is a wonderful movie.

I second the recommendation.
Nothing

Postby Frog on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Ame Agaru (After the Rain) is a gem in my opinion. It's a beautifully simple movie about a masterless samurai looking for a job. Kurosawa wrote the screenplay for it. The movie has a lovely vibe and an amazing soundtrack.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181960/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Couldn't find a trailer in english so here's one in french. You'll get some idea of the vibe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnh7l1pngU8
Frog

Postby Nothing on Mon May 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Here is a list of 10 movies with Buddhist themes from the Lion's Roar magazine according to some folks from the movie industry. http://www.lionsroar.com/inside-second-issue-lions-roar-magazine
I have only watched the 2nd, 6th and 8th. Maybe will check the others.

1. Double Indemnity
2. Groundhog Day
3. A Zen Life: D.T. Suzuki
4. Opening Night
5. Kung Fu Panda
6. The Big Lebowski
7. A Man Escaped
8. The Matrix
9. Perfect Sense
10. For the Benefit of All Beings & Brilliant Moon
Nothing

Postby littletsu on Fri May 20, 2016 6:27 pm

I saw both Dersu Uzala and Andrej Rublev about 10 years ago, they are pretty amazing indeed : )
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby Frog on Sat May 21, 2016 5:29 pm

Ame Agaru

Love the soundtrack and the airy feel of the cinematography. Just an all-around uplifting movie. Apparently Akira Kurosawa wrote the screenplay for this.

edit:

Oh, sorry. This was totally unintentional. I didn't realize I already had recommended the same movie here. Just no memory about it. Just noticed as I was looking at other suggestions. :D

I'm going to leave this here since the previous post didn't have the whole movie. Seems like I can't delete or edit the previous post anymore.
Frog

Postby Jojo on Sun May 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Coming soon (June 2016):
Zen for Nothing
http://antaiji.org/en/zen-for-nothing-2/
Sorry, did not find an English language trailer.
Jojo

PreviousNext

Return to Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture