Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:16 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture

The Best Music Ever

The Best Music Ever

Postby island on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 am

Since there is clearly attachment to the Worst Music Ever I thought I would post another thread for favorites that really stand out. I would appreciate it if instead of a whole string of youtubes people actually commented on what they saw and heard before introducing their own.

Here is a starter. Warning! it is rather sexual in orientation even though it's only a guitar being made love to.
The way is to get out of the way of the way.
island

Re: The Best Music Ever

Postby island on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 am

Here is the original for by the Troggs, itself a classic since they were actually forerunners of punk and garage bang grunge. The video is adorable in the costuming and action and the song a powerful unforgetable song.

island

Postby PeterB on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:29 am

Hendrix was a far more gifted muscian than Reg Presley. But Reg's Wild Thing has him beat hands down.

Re Hendrix a quote by Earl Scruggs comes to mind....watching a display of pyrotechnic guitar playing he said " I wish I could do that...and then I wouldnt. " If Hendrix had lived a little longer he may have discovered that less is more.
PeterB

Postby island on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:37 am

yes but the excess was a sign of the times and a sign of heroin addiction too. What about the more restrained and seemingly chaste version by the Troggs?
island

Postby PeterB on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 am

Reg is the singer/songwriter of the Troggs... a farm boy from the west of England whose real surname btw is Presley. .....Astonishingly The Troggs are still touring. Although Reg divides his time between the band and his study of crop circles...
PeterB

Postby island on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 am

Though I am not a baby boomer for various reasons, like leaving home from an Admiral in the Navy, at the young age of 17 completely on my own lead me to like music of the 60s, particularly 67-71 which fills my iPod so much that my best friend calls me an archivist since I know all the songs even very obscure ones.

Here's one not so obscure but what ever happened to the actual band I have no idea.

island

Postby Earthling on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Of course the Troggs version is classic. But the Hendrix cover is wonderful-- never heard that one before. --thanks for sharing that, Beth!

My favorite Hendrix is "Bold as Love," with its trippy lyrics all about the conflict of emotions and insecurities, the struggles the ego creates-- at least that is how I've always interpreted the song-- something I've had to go through myself. Its Hendrix ecstasy at its finest, and the final guitar solo is radiant triumphant joy that brings me to tears:

"Voodoo Child" and the song "Are You Experienced" are two other favorite Hendrix tracks closely following this one.

While this rates high for me (no pun intended), higher still is Bach's Cello Suites (all six of them). It's amazing how Bach was able to write for one instrument and create so much music, and so wide ranging. I forget how many different recordings I have of it now (five or six? seven??) and my mood changes as far as which recording I prefer most-- but its probably a toss up between Jean-Guihen Queyras and Jaap Ter Linden.

This is Queyras' recording of the famous Prelude of the first suite:

Here's Yo-Yo Ma performing the haunting sarabande of the fifth suite at Todaiji Temple in Nara, Japan:

And Yo-Yo Ma again with the Prelude of the sixth suite (Bach and Hendrix tapping into the same ecstasy):

Earthling

Postby island on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Here's Yo-Yo Ma performing the haunting sarabande of the fifth suite at Todaiji Temple in Nara, Japan:

:buddha:

The music of the dharma is everywhere and especially in between the notes.

They have a word for this in Japanese--ma. It means in between and is a spiritual-aesthetics of noticing what space or emptiness is and does in this full world of ours, quite literally on a physical embodied grounded everyday walking around the house taking out the garbage plane.

The character looks like two swinging doors to a temple--a gate. And within the character is a box that is empty representing the emptiness of the garden within.

You have entered the sacred temple gates. Welcome. Please take pleasure to look at the temple grounds and the rock garden. MA. YO YOU MA. AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
island

Postby TTT on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:04 pm

The Zombies. Great song.

Thanks you!
Spring time
TTT

Postby Possum on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 pm

"I Call Your Name" -- The Beatles

"We found large differences between the effect sizes reported for complete MBSR programs vs. “pure” meditation."
- "The Effects of Mindfulness Meditation: A Meta-Analysis" by Eberth and Sedlmeier
Possum

Postby chicka-Dee on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 pm

It's really funny, because this song suddenly lept to mind ("Wild Thing") the other day for no apparent reason. I love it when this happens.

The first video (Hendrix), though, is no longer available to view (darn!).

Music seems to be such a powerful form of expression. The combination of the lyrics and the music itself... I don't have the words to describe it. What appeals, and what we dislike seem to have no real "formula" that we are conscious of. Either the music "connects" to the 'soul' or it doesn't (or it gets pushed away). And it's different for each of us.

I find this quite fascinating... not unlike "spiritual teachings" that resonate or fall flat.

Words like 'depth', 'quality', 'genuineness' come to mind.

island wrote:The music of the dharma is everywhere and especially in between the notes.

They have a word for this in Japanese--ma. It means in between and is a spiritual-aesthetics of noticing what space or emptiness is and does in this full world of ours, quite literally on a physical embodied grounded everyday walking around the house taking out the garbage plane.

The character looks like two swinging doors to a temple--a gate. And within the character is a box that is empty representing the emptiness of the garden within.

This reminds me of one my favorite verses of the tao te ching (the 11th):

Thirty spokes converge upon a single hub;
it is on the hole in the center that
the use of the cart hinges.

Shape clay into a vessel;
it is the space within that makes it useful.
Carve fine doors and windows, but the room is useful in its emptiness.

The useful of what is
depends on what is not.

Also, the beauty [or any other quality] of what is depends on what is not?

:O:
chicka-Dee

Postby chicka-Dee on Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 pm

I have this confession to make :hide: This song always get me going (foot tapping, singing at the top my lungs, bopping along -- like I can't even help it!):

Does this mean there are some repressed issues here somewhere? :lol2:

And I find it interesting that this song goes to the rhythm of our heartbeat (you're supposed to perform CPR to this rhythm):

:dance:

What is it about music? ...
chicka-Dee

Postby TTT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Shape clay into a vessel;
it is the space within that makes it useful.
Carve fine doors and windows, but the room is useful in its emptiness.

This is a persons space right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person
Spring time
TTT

Postby christopher::: on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:34 pm

:)
::::: Buddha Nature: Heart of the Dharma :::: Tao & Zen (Facebook page) ::::
"You are the sky. Everything else, it’s just the weather.” ~Pema Chodron
christopher:::
Founding Member

Postby songhill on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 am

Amazing, just amazing!

songhill

Postby Possum on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm

“Arise, the steep ascent” from Handel’s Choice of Hercules

“Think For Yourself” – The Beatles (George Harrison)

“Cold Turkey’ – John Lennon

Turn on your mind and swim upstream.
"We found large differences between the effect sizes reported for complete MBSR programs vs. “pure” meditation."
- "The Effects of Mindfulness Meditation: A Meta-Analysis" by Eberth and Sedlmeier
Possum

Postby christopher::: on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 am

:)
Founding Member

Postby Possum on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 am

"There's no action."
- Elvis Costello

"We were four working-class guys who weren't afraid of some hard work."
- Ringo Starr

"It's just work."
- Songs for Drella by John Cale and Lou Reed

John Lennon

Possum

Postby christopher::: on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:32 am

Founding Member

Postby Possum on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 am

"It Don't Come Easy" -- Ringo Starr

Possum

Next

Return to Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture