Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture

"Wabi-Sabi"

Re: "Wabi-Sabi"

Postby A Philosopher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 am

Michaeljc, partofit22, desert_woodworker,

Thank you so much. ")

To me, it's a set. 4 photos plus a "story" (a haibun, I hope, of sorts).

Sometimes I like the contrast between the driftwood and the poles sitting in the sand.
Sometimes I like other contrasts, there are many in the pics and between the pics and
and even more in the writing, Sometimes I just love the driftwood -- the sea dragon.

It all evolves for me, shift around.
Sometimes I see is as "sabi-wabi"
sometimes I see it a dynamic union and harmony (yin-yang).

Thank you again. ")
Last edited by A Philosopher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Philosopher

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 am

A Phil,

I like the poles in the water. I see musical notation in them.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby A Philosopher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:48 am

desert_woodworker wrote:A Phil,

I like the poles in the water. I see musical notation in them.

--Joe

:)

Thank you. ")

That's the thing, each of them stands alone, I hope.
But they enhance each other, too, I hope.

And then haibun also "enhances" photos
and the other way around.

To me it all goes together, it's a "unified" "form" (as in a style of art)
haibun is a piece of poetic prose with a haiku (maybe another imbedded haiku, too).
An image with haiku is called haiga.
So, it's haibun with imbedded (photo) haiga. ;-)

I think I am going to add another haiku to the above…
A Philosopher

Postby A Philosopher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:17 am

A FOGGY STROLL HOME (REVISED)

Another dawn, another step, another stroll through the fog on the very line of the surf. A jacket on my back for the wind is strong and the clouds heavy with rain. Good for the scorched Texan soil but we do not want a down pour to interrupt our roam too much. The dogs follow in a perfect pack formation, in a good rhythm, not too fast and not too slow. Sappho on the East side, on the side of the sea. Molly on the dryer West side. Their paws turning around in this ethereal rhythm that inspired someone to paint the yin-yang sign.

They like this weather, too, we all do. It's warm enough to wet a paw and a tail in the surf but not too hot for a long gallop along the shore to chase Sanderlings flying forth and back, disappearing, melting into thick fog.

the morning chant
my sweet Ladies lead me
to a stranded turtle

All of the sudden the sky breaks in half, opens up, and the bright light fills in the world. Yet we do not hear any voices, no one sings soft and uplifting tunes, no mysterious truths are revealed. Just a man and two dogs walking in silence, one foot in the water one foot on the sand

the morning chant
    my sweet Ladies lead me
    to a stranded turtle

suddenly
    the sun breaks
    sky in one

this step by step foggy stroll
    through the waves
    taking us home

Image[/quote]

(after Basho)

no one walks
    on this empty beach
    this hazy morning
Last edited by A Philosopher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
A Philosopher

Postby Michaeljc on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 am

Jenny sunset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michaeljc

Postby A Philosopher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:38 am

Michaeljc wrote:
Jenny sunset.jpg

:)

who
is riding the horse?

")
A Philosopher

Postby littletsu on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:06 pm

A short documentary about traditional Japanese carpentry, that is famous of not using nails or bolts. There is some reference to wabi-sabi as well at the end.

合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby Nothing on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Beautiful documentary, thanks for sharing.
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:39 pm

marble-buddha-statues-Mandalay.jpg

--Joe

ps Heads of some of the more unfinished statues remind me of of bee-keepers' head-wear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:15 pm

I could be wrong, but to me, anyway, the pottery of "Teco" seems wabi-sabi.

Granted, the pieces are a little old, and are technically "antique" by now.

I think the pottery was first made in 1881, and continued through the 1920s until the crash of the Stock Market. Bill Gates' grandfather was the founder of the company. "Teco", as a name, was said to be short for "Terra Cotta".

The pottery exemplifies the Prairie style of the middle-west of the USA, and some later designs were influenced by architects in the circle of Frank Lloyd Wright.

At one time, there were over 500 designs in the Teco catalog!

(a revival company is now reproducing some of the Teco pieces).

Below is a piece that seems "wabi-sabi" to me (it's about 6 inches [15 cm] high).

--Joe

Teco_Pagoda_vase.jpg

TecoMark.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Another American Art Pottery vase in the Prairie style came to me recently.

This one is thrown by a potter who put up "Door Pottery", near Chicago.

"Littletsu"?, take note?? ;) Howdy.

--Joe

ps this is not a faience glaze, but waterproof.

Door_Pottery_Gingko_Cabinet_vase_Granny_Smith_green.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:32 am

Shou Sugi Ban .. beautiful .. charred wood .. looks kind of like leather ..
partofit22

Postby littletsu on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:59 pm

It is beautiful, Joe. Is this influenced in any way by Native American art?

I might have already posted this, but what this Japanese potter does, is wabi-sabi at its best, to me.
I mean the way he lives and works. He has no place to store all his stuff, he produces so much, and he just
leaves everything outside around his house to the elements, that he believes will give character to each piece.
I think this idea is wabi-sabi. Not necessarily his pieces, but the idea itself.
I also like his views on technology. For example many potters would choose to use a threadle wheel out of some kind of
ideology, "taste", nostalgia - basically beliefs that it makes pottery somehow more real or how it should be, but that's just an attachment to ideas, like for example you need to move to a monastery to reach enlightenment.
By the way this video features a great photographer, Hiroshi Sugimoto, who is famous of his ocean/see shots. I live next to
a river now, and started to see how it is pretty much another river every day. I have heard the metaphor/ simile of us being like rivers or the river of consciousness, but it really made sense only after having this experience myself. Which needed time and
a certain focus. I guess that has to do with wabi-sabi as well.

合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Almost two years after my commuting-bike was stolen from my shed at home in broad daylight, and despite my assembling other bikes from spare parts and found-parts (and some purchased parts), NO bike I've assembled (nor bought "used") has been as satisfactory as that previous favorite bike of 29 years.

The old classic old-school Raleigh fit my body perfectly, possessed the largest frame made by the Raleigh company at the time, and was in other ways greatly beloved and favored, faithful, and fabulous. It was strong, made of double-butted Reynolds steel tubing, brazed into the lugged-frame (not welded, which would be weaker).

I also still have a great set of some specialized tools that I assembled over decades with which to maintain it.

Well, the bike was gone like smoke when it was stealth-ily stolen. I was crushed, and remained so until this weekend.

I've felt violated and bereft ever since. Gaa-ack!

But this weekend I found a replacement. A perfect one. It is now on Nantucket Island, Massachussets. It's over 30 years old, as mine would have been (or IS, in the thief's garage. Or, maybe she sold it... ).

This frame will become my Wabi-Sabi replacement. I'll try to make it look "not-too" Wabi-Sabi. Then again, maybe there's no "helping" what will be natural. I'm not a good Judge. Neither are others, I note. :tongueincheek:

I affix a photo of the sale item below. I talked the seller down a 'skosh', and got the frame, etc., for $212 US. I think that's just under what I paid for the bike in New York City (another island, like Nantucket... ) NEW, in a bike-store in 1986 in Manhattan, when I was in grad school on Long Island in Physics. I carried the bike back to school on the subway, and then the Long Island Railroad, all the way onto the North Shore of the Island to Stony Brook, and Brookhaven National Labs. I had to STAND with the bike, in the baggage-car, for 60 miles! The things we do for LOVE... .

I'm thrilled to be soon able to have great transportation again, with no compromises. This 1986 Raleigh frame has been my best bike ever. Granted, I've not sampled entries in the very much higher-priced echelons. But, no need. IMO. ;)

Page 6 in this thread shows an effort on my part to build-up a bike from spare parts. It worked, but does not fit my body optimally at all. My height is 191 (cm). And it's a women's-bike-frame, there.

See the sea-shells on the ground in the bike-frame photo from Nantucket, below! I note that they're "Scallop"-shells (as in the logo of "the Shell Oil Company"). I grew up in New Jersey, and we had the same lovely shells on our shore, for sure. And many more shells. To say the least. And some Moons. To inspire a budding Astronomer.

--Joe

rahl_frame_Nantucket.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:24 pm

A window-screen repair.

--Joe

screen_repair1.jpg

screen_repair2.jpg
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Nice Joe, in 1980 Joop Zoetemelk won the tour de france on a Raleigh, you don't hear much from them these days.
Trek is hot these days but after two bikes I cant get really accustomed to them since they just don't steer as good as I'd like them.
My favourite bike ever was a Koga Miyata from the late 80's I'd love to have one back like that.
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Marcel,

Nice to hear that you have a favorite bike!

Mine was this Raleigh, which was stolen after 29 years. Finally, after one year, I "got over the grieving" of the loss, and I motivated myself to search for an exact, or nearly exact, replacement. I went to eBay!

And I searched there just now for your favorite. Here are some results. NOTE!, that some of those offering the bikes are in Europe, so, if you buy one from one of them, the shipping could be over-land, and not necessarily over water (nor by air). Shipping could be quite reasonable in cost.

Good luck! After my Raleigh was stolen, I bought a Trek also, from a sangha friend, for only $75 US, but it is not a good match to the size of my body (I require a 68 cm size frame). I will sell the Trek now. I would comment as you do, that the steering is not as sure (or safe) on the Trek as I was accustomed to. Adjustments did not help. It's just not a good design (nor size) for me. The Raleigh is great!

Have a look here for your heart-throb bike, Marcel, and best wishes (carbon-fiber? You have good taste; pretty pricey... ): ;)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0

:Namaste:,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks Joe,
thingy is I'm not exactly sure which bike I'm looking for!
If I see it I'll know it but haven't come across it, the first result on ebat the 1980 koga is sweet,
fortunately as you might know Dutchyland is the land of bikes, so that 1980 koga I can pick up here for half of the money
I might just do that since I might never find my old exact bike.

Speaking of prizy, my brother has a bike of 3000 euros, I don't like the ride at all.
And old 80's bike for a few hundred bucks feels much better to me, the new one's are all about speed
which is good if you make a living with cycling, but for touring I don't see the use.

Those carbon bikes are way too light, ppl fall of them way more then back in the days

If you ever again look for something specific there's a chance I can find it cheaper in Dutchyland so give me a note.

ps an average dutch city station or highschool looks like this.

Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Marcel,

Yow! More "crowded" than a "used-car lot" in USA!

Netherlands-people are so smart about transportation. We could all learn.

thanks; remarkable photo!

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:54 pm

I agree, great pic!
partofit22

PreviousNext

Return to Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture