Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture

"Wabi-Sabi"

"Wabi-Sabi"

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm

I found a nicely broken heavy large clay planter, drilled it, and stitched it up with braided copper cable. An example of Wabi-Sabi. --Joe

PLANTER.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Re: "Wabi-Sabi"

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 pm

And, Wabi-Sabi or Wabi-"SLOBBY", I am not sure.

Friends see me in this, and I think secretly take out insurance policies on my life:

HELMET4.JPG

--Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 pm

A nice book on Wabi-Sabi, the quintessential Japanese aesthetic, is:

Leonard Koren, 1994, Stone Bridge Press, Berkeley, CA, USA. --Joe

wab_sab_cover.jpg
"The abundance of Nature is not a matter of its 'providing' ". -- William James, c. 1901.

"Least said is soonest disavowed". -- Ambrose Bierce (c. 1900)

"Politeness: noun. The most acceptable hypocrisy." -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:09 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Friends see me in this, and I think secretly take out insurance policies on my life:

:lol2:

Look like an egg where the chick just hatched out of its shell
(and metaphorically awakens in another shell)

I love it, safe drives my friend. :peace:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Guo Gu on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 am

been sitting on this for the past 30 yrs... still good. just a lil wabi sabi.

stitched over and over.
when this layer rips through,
another layer will be sewn over.

guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 am

Dear Guo Gu,

"Truly frugal!"

Wabi sabi, par excellence. Showing the most love, and close, tender respect.

Our shifu taught us that we should have the most respect for our cushion(s) -- "It is the seat of the Buddha!", he taught.

:rbow:

--Joe

ps There is bullet-proof "Kevlar" material available! I think it comes in "black", too. :heya:

Guo Gu wrote:been sitting on this for the past 30 yrs... still good. just a lil wabi sabi.

stitched over and over.

desert_woodworker

Postby Guo Gu on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 am

desert_woodworker wrote:ps There is bullet-proof "Kevlar" material available! I think it comes in "black", too. :heya:

is it expensive? the black fabric i use is pretty cheap. lasts for 10 or so yrs, each layer.
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:09 am

Guo Gu,

Probably better to continue using regular cloth.

I think the "Kevlar" does not "breathe" very well, and it could cause sweating in warm weather (Florida? Arizona?), since it is synthetic, and not an absorbent weave. Plus, I see that many distributors have it only in a light yellow color, which seems to be the "natural" color direct from the chemical manufacturing process. Usually the Kevlar is put inside of a bullet-proof vest, and the OUTER covering of the vest is a black material that is not Kevlar. So I think I may be wrong about "black" Kevlar.

Plus, Kevlar is a little expensive: about $35 (US) per linear yard, in a 40-inch width. But that's good for quite a few cushion covers, yes?

There are black Carbon-Fiber and Kevlar composite cloths, but I think those composites are more expensive.

Still, to have a "bullet-proof" cushion would be pretty neat. :lol2:

But a ten-year lifetime of your cloth is very good!

But, you be the judge about the Kevlar.

You might be able to get a free sample of Kevlar large enough for a cushion cover, if you tell the distributor that you might have a "new use" for it that you want to "test". :)

Our cushions are already life-saving: maybe we don't really need them to be bullet-proof, too? Still, the long-life of it appeals.

--Joe

Guo Gu wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:ps There is bullet-proof "Kevlar" material available! I think it comes in "black", too.

is it expensive? the black fabric i use is pretty cheap. lasts for 10 or so yrs, each layer.
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:17 am

Any suggestions for making my fav black rayon meditation skirt made in India whole again.... at first it just looked limp. Now, it has lightened up because the threads are so thin. And, it's become too thin to wear in winter! It's been ten years....

This is one instance where I may have to surrender to impermanence
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:36 am

Linda,

Once fabric goes thin, there may be nothing for it but for the owner to move to the hot desert. :lol2:

Would be fun to call you "neighbor".

Try the services of "Zabu Zabu". Liz, the seamstress, and owner there, made me a great Samu jacket, of heavy green denim cloth that I sent her, and fitted it exactly to my specifications. I think this is the only tailored garment I have ever owned (except for the rakusu that I sewed myself in 1998). The jacket has the color of one of my Ch'an shifu's robes.

If you consult with Liz, she may have a suggestion. Maybe she'd remake a new garment from the old one, if she had it in hand. I recall she was quick; her work is very fine. Not expensive! I provided the cloth. I think I paid $65 (US) a couple years ago. Here is her site, where there is also contact info:

http://zabuzabu.net/

Else, pull up stakes and move to this Rodeo town!

Best,

--Joe

Linda Anderson wrote:Any suggestions for making my fav black rayon meditation skirt made in India whole again.... at first it just looked limp. Now, it has lightened up because the threads are so thin. And, it's become too thin to wear in winter! It's been ten years....

This is one instance where I may have to surrender to impermanence
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks Joe, I'll look into it. I've been considering a move... but I'd like a little water...
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby partofit22 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 pm

I painted leaves white and tied them to string ...

partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:Thanks Joe, I'll look into it. I've been considering a move... but I'd like a little water...

Arizona sucks, Linda (sorry Joe)
well you know what I mean with "Arizona"

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-f ... 14/gay-ban
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-f ... ive-strike
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Partofit,

Lovely! :)X

Thanks for posting! :heya:

More, please? :lol2:

:Namaste: --Joe

partofit22 wrote:I painted leaves white and tied them to string ...
"The abundance of Nature is not a matter of its 'providing' ". -- William James, c. 1901.

"Least said is soonest disavowed". -- Ambrose Bierce (c. 1900)

"Politeness: noun. The most acceptable hypocrisy." -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Fuki,

You may know in broad strokes about the doings of some of the Legislature in Phoenix (the AZ Capitol), but you don't know (I assume... ) the Land, the climate, the sky, the people, and the State Bird.

BTW, Arizona's Governor Jan Brewer vetoed the Senate Bill brought out by some folks concerned more about Religious Freedom than about Equality. Not everything in morality and Government is "black or white", and this fact shows in the form of some of the legislation that is proposed from time to time. The Governor came under a lot of pressure from big businesses to veto this thing. She "caved" to the "Almighty Dollar", and, although I think that was clearly her reason, nonetheless, I feel she did the right thing, even if for a dubious reason. Arguments either way are very interesting. Again ...not all is black or white.

Arizona is to host the Super Bowl next year.

--Joe

CACTWREN.JPG

fukasetsu wrote: well you know what I mean with "Arizona"
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes Joe, hence Arizona between ""
Was speaking of politics ofcourse, not about its people, its wonderful nature etc etc.

I never traveled to Arizona but I''m well informed about its contents via watching a lot of "nature shows" and what not throughout the years, but the information is ofcourse limited.
I'm mostly interested in Michigan and specifically Detroit though.

Anyway I have plenty of wabi-sabi to share, but my "new" phone doesnt take pictures.
And I've lost the usb connection for my digital camera so I cant send pictures to the pc for quite a while.

ps does a broken cat pole screwed to the wall count?
it was not possibe to actually "sew" the two parts together anymore.

Pretty bird, thanks!
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 pm

fukasetsu wrote:ps does a broken cat pole screwed to the wall count?
it was not possibe to actually "sew" the two parts together anymore.

Brainfart, I have thousand of cat pics on my pc so naturally there's a pic of that wabi-sabi pole too.

It's on the right, screwed to the wall.

(On the left is that new pole I talked about, which is in another place in the house now)

P1013108.JPG
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby littletsu on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Wabi:
Tranquil Simplicity - The refined and elegant simplicity achieved by bringing out the natural colors, forms, and textures inherent in materials such as wood straw, bamboo, clay, and stone, as well as in artifacts crafted from them like earthenware, tile, handmade paper, and lacquerware, and in textile fibers like hemp, cotton, or silk – this is the core of wabi. Wabi may describe beauty in nature untouched by human hands, or it may emerge from human attempts to draw out the distinctive beauty of materials. While eschewing decoration, contrivance, or showiness, wabi treads the fine and precarious line between beauty and shabbiness. To discover wabi, one must have an eye for the beautiful, yet it is not an aesthetic understood by the Japanese of old, but a quality that can be recognized by anyone, anywhere who is discriminating and sensitive to beauty.

Sabi:
Patina of Age - Beauty that treasures the passage of time is sabi, echoing the original meaning of the word: rust or patina. Objects or constructions created from organic materials and used in daily life are of course beautiful when they are brand new. But sabi describes the new and different phases of beauty that evolve in the course of their use and enjoyment, and the conviction that the aesthetic values of things is not diminished by time, but enhanced. The wear and tear of daily use, lovingly repaired and attended to, does not detract, but adds new beauty and aesthetic depth. Indeed, sabi is at its ultimate when age and wear bring a new thing to the very threshold of its demise. Appreciation of sabi confirms the natural cycle of organic life – that what is created from the earth finally returns to the earth and that nothing is ever complete. Sabi is true to the natural cycle of birth and rebirth.

Suki:
Subtle Elegance - Originally expressing attraction, fascination and curiosity, suki is aesthetic adventure beyond conventional standards, delight in the unusual, curious or idiosyncratic. Initially, suki seems to have expressed an idea of beauty that was heretical and unorthodox. The shogun Ashikaga Yoshinori (1399-1441) was a patron of the arts known for his revolt against old and established aesthetic rules. His salon was receptive to bold and new ideas that were to become firmly established in the sixteenth century as what we might describe as “subtle elegance”. Many today are devotees of suki, the pursuit of beauty in unconventional forms and guises, but their search continues to be faithful to the quality of subtle elegance, which circumscribes the ageless essence of suki.
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby littletsu on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Guo Gu wrote:been sitting on this for the past 30 yrs... still good. just a lil wabi sabi.

stitched over and over.

guo gu

Wow! Thanks for sharing!
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 pm

A page or two from Koren's book on Wabi-Sabi.

The repaired moth-eaten sweater is pretty nice. I wish there were a better photograph of it, or that we could see it in person. --Joe

wab_sab_two_page.jpg
desert_woodworker

Next

Return to Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture