Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture

"Wabi-Sabi"

Re: "Wabi-Sabi"

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:28 pm

L.,

I'll look into kintsugi, thank you!

Sorry, no image came across in your post. Did you mean to include an attachment, or place an image in-line? There's just the word "image", and no picture. Please try again?, if there's a picture you'd like to feature? I had to go to "Quote" with your post, to expose the URL. But at the URL, I receive an error message when I operate it. I'll poke around at that site, perhaps, by backing-up a few fields (to the left, I mean) in the URL and see what else I can discover.

Gold? this I want to see!

Another art I admire is Suiseki... the Japanese art of Stone Appreciation. In my opinion, a nice book is Covello and Yoshimura:

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Art-Ston ... preciation

I'm glad to learn about Kinsugi, thanks again!

--Joe

littletsu wrote:The Japanese have developed their own way to appreciate broken ceramics, too. It is called kintsugi (金継ぎ).
They use gold, though. :lol2:

desert_woodworker

Postby littletsu on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Interesting. I have no idea why this is happening. Anyway, the picture still exists, it is featured in this blog entry:

http://kknakamura.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-152.html

And a video:

合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:03 pm

L.,

Wow!

I was moved to tears, seeing the care the workers give to the repairs, and seeing the results.

My heart is broken! ...and mended with gold.

Thank you!

A new world opens,

--Joe

littletsu wrote:A video
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:39 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Linda,

You know? It's been a while since I felt that that is somewhat a wrong imputation.

I'd settle for "irrepressible" (though I don't have the OED at hand: I think it's on the Web).

;)

--Joe

Linda Anderson wrote:Joe, you are incorrigible :hugs:

ok Joe, that's the way you feel. no wrong intended.

I had to look all these words up. :) context matters, seems to me. would you feel the same if I said you are an incorrigible romantic. She is an incorribible flirt. an incorrigible liar is not the same as an incorrigibly sincere person, an incorrigibly funny person. incorrigible in the sense of not changeable, not reformable. Inherent in this, is the idea that it's not a nice person who can't be changed by society... what kind of herd would we have it ppl were too much themselves. :lol2:

gee, I wasn't deliberating on the word, but I'd take incorrigible over irrepressible... incorrigible: stand tall for who you are. it's honest, it's real. irrepressible does not have the same air of reality... to me, that is. I'll go with any word, it's your spirit that is just so you.

then there is the question of who is the imputer and the imputee... this I can't determine. Here's an interesting story about Steve jobs... one of the three guiding words to his success was impute. Jobs and Markkula were household words back in the day.

Jobs’s early mentor Mike Markkula wrote him a memo in 1979 that urged three principles. The first two were “empathy” and “focus”. The third was an awkward word, “impute”, but it became one of Jobs’s key doctrines.
He knew that people form an opinion about a product or a company on the basis of how it is presented and packaged. “Mike taught me that people do judge a book by its cover,” he told me.
When he was getting ready to ship the Macintosh in 1984, he obsessed over the colours and design of the box. Similarly, he personally spent time designing and redesigning the jewel-like boxes that cradle the iPod and the iPhone and listed himself on the patents for them. He and Ive believed that unpacking was a ritual like theatre and heralded the glory of the product. “When you open the box of an iPhone or iPad, we want that tactile experience to set the tone for how you perceive the product,” he said.
Sometimes he used the design of a machine to “impute” a signal rather than to be merely functional. For example, when he was creating the new and playful iMac, after his return to Apple, he was shown a design by Ive that had a little recessed handle nestled in the top. It was more semiotic than useful. This was a desktop computer. Not many people were really going to carry it around. But Jobs and Ive realised that a lot of people were still intimidated by computers. If it had a handle, the new machine would seem friendly and at one’s service. The handle signalled permission to touch. The manufacturing team was opposed to the extra cost, but Jobs just announced, “No, we’re doing this.” He didn’t even try to explain.
Walter Isaacson is the chief executive of the Aspen Institute, Washington, and the author of Steve Jobs,
Simon & Schuster, 2011,

:hugs:
linda
Last edited by Linda Anderson on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:45 pm

A few years ago I repaired some bowls used as cat-feeding bowls. I forget if the cats or I had broken them. One ceramic, one plastic.

I used a glue called "Gorilla Glue". And patched the joins or seams with Aluminum tape (not Gold, nor even Silver).

They have not broken again since.

bowls_1.JPG

bowls_2.JPG

--Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Linda,

The "Steve Jobs" clip is great. Thanks!

You've seen this cartoon before:

excuse_me.jpg

Speaking of words...

I love the bit in one of the W. C. Fields movies, where Fields comments on someone's name, saying:

"What a euphonious appellation!"

--Joe

Linda Anderson wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:I'd settle for "irrepressible" (though I don't have the OED at hand: I think it's on the Web).

ok Joe, that's the way you feel. no wrong intended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 am

I'm dubious about this fellow's project: "the Chromatic Typewriter".

I think there can be no multi-colored "ribbon", but that the striking-keys must have pads on them, saturated with paint or pigment which the operator must need to re-charge regularly, with some narrow "bee-sting" eye-dropper. This all seems a lot of rigamarole (read: "work"). Does it get in the way of artistic expression? Probably. See the image, and the "painting" in the roller. Interesting!

chromatic_typewriter.jpg

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:33 pm

yard_102206.jpg

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:48 pm

After inheriting a few hundred paintings I need to wabi-sabi art a lot these days (or is just taping wood?)

2015-03-23 18.44.19.jpg
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

F.,

Are you applying some sort of protective covers?

Do the paintings look different from the front(s)? ;) --Joe

ps (would you show one or two, pls.? tnx. --Joe)

fukasetsu wrote:After inheriting a few hundred paintings I need to wabi-sabi art a lot these days (or is just taping wood?)

2015-03-23 18.44.19.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Nothing protected with covers, perhaps that will change after taxation, but since it's me we're speaking of, that probably won't make much difference, although I take good care of them naturally.

desert_woodworker wrote:
Do the paintings look different from the front(s)? ;)

Not sure I follow you, but if you mean a double one (like the Night watch) I do have one of those, it's fun because you can turn them around.

ps (would you show one or two, pls.? tnx. --Joe)

Thanks for asking, sun has set here so I'll do a quicky of the living room in flash (all modern stuff is stored, I prefer the 'oldies') :)
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:02 pm

P1014813.JPG

P1014814.JPG

P1014815.JPG

P1014816.JPG

P1014817.JPG
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:03 pm

P1014820.JPG

around the living room, I can do the whole house by daylight and close ups if interested.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Fuka,

If you have ONE original painting that you'd like to feature, great, please do.

But if there is nothing Wabi-Sabi, pls. don't overdo it. This thread is to feature examples of Wabi-Sabi, or confusions of what might be Wabi-Sabi (such as I post from time to time, leaving it up to viewers). ;)

More light -- much more light -- is needed, to do any justice to any of your paintings. The setting sun's scattered light, even though singularly Equinoctial, just doesn't cut it. But thanks for the effort(s)!

When I saw all the tape on the back of that first painting, I asked if it looked different from the front. Even at the back, with clear tape (?) exposed, I would not say it was "Wabi-Sabi". I'd say, "WHAT the hay?" So I thought the front might hold the real promise. Not convinced... . ;)

Just ONE example of Wabi-Sabi, pls.? Or a great photo of an original (oil?) painting? If "repros", nah, never mind.

Tnx,

--Joe

fukasetsu wrote:
P1014820.JPG

around the living room, I can do the whole house by daylight and close ups if interested.
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:44 pm

Ah :lol2: I get it Joe, Sorry.

I'll wabi-sabi's some up later... a few have holes in them which I'm in the process of wabi-sabi-ing.

No all originals, nothing repro in this house, it wouldn't be practical "natural" (or original) :PP:
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 am

F.,

Roger, roger.

Greatest and coolest of the great and cool.

"Originals" is where Art conspires to knock us out, into our senses, and selves. You're lucky.

Please share? If possible, and easy? Don't "work" too hard.

--Joe

fukasetsu wrote:No all originals, nothing repro in this house, it wouldn't be practical "natural" (or original) :PP:
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:00 am

around the living room, I can do the whole house by daylight and close ups if interested

Please do Fuki. I am fascinated. Can you include some background on artists?
Michaeljc

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:22 pm

morning Joe, how's the wabi-sabi? This is from our bro Christopher::: over on FB.... (bold is mine)

“Yūgen is an important concept in traditional Japanese aesthetics. The exact translation of the word depends on the context. Yūgen is not an allusion to another world. It is about this world, this experience…

“To watch the sun sink behind a flower clad hill. To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds…” ~Zeami Motokiyo

Japanese aesthetic ideals are most heavily influenced by Japanese Buddhism. In the Buddhist tradition, all things are considered as either evolving from or dissolving into nothingness. This “nothingness” is not empty space. It is rather a space of potentiality.

If the seas represent potential then each thing is like a wave arising from it and returning to it. There are no permanent waves. There are no perfect waves. At no point is a wave complete, even at its peak. Nature is seen as a dynamic whole that is to be admired and appreciated.

This appreciation of nature has been fundamental to many Japanese aesthetic ideals, “arts,” and other cultural elements. In this respect, the notion of “art” (or its conceptual equivalent) is also quite different from Western traditions..

Japanese aesthetics is a set of ancient ideals that include “wabi” (transient and stark beauty), “sabi” (the beauty of natural aging), and “yūgen.” These ideals, and others, underpin much of Japanese cultural and aesthetic norms.. Thus, while seen as a philosophy in Western societies, the concept of aesthetics in Japan is seen as an integral part of daily life.

Wabi and sabi refers to a mindful approach to everyday life. Over time their meanings overlapped and converged until they are unified into wabi-sabi (侘寂), the aesthetic defined as the beauty of things “imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.”

Things in bud, or things in decay, as it were, are more evocative of wabi-sabi than things in full bloom because they suggest the transience of things. As things come and go, they show signs of their coming or going and these signs are considered to be beautiful.

In this, beauty is an altered state of consciousness and can be seen in the mundane and simple. The signatures of nature can be so subtle that it takes a quiet mind and a cultivated eye to discern them. In Zen philosophy there are seven aesthetic principles for achieving wabi-sabi.

Fukinsei (不均整): asymmetry, irregularity; Kanso (簡素): simplicity; Koko: basic, weathered; Shizen (自然): without pretense, natural; Yugen (幽玄): subtly profound grace, not obvious; Datsuzoku (脱俗): unbounded by convention, free; Seijaku (静寂): tranquility, stillness.

Each of these things are found in nature but can suggest virtues of human character and appropriateness of behaviour. This, in turn suggests that virtue can be instilled through an appreciation of, and practice in, the arts. Hence, aesthetic ideals have an ethical connotation and pervade much of the Japanese culture.”

http://creativesystemsthinking.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/yugen-%E5%B9%BD%E7%8E%84-deep-awareness-of-the-universe/
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks!, Linda. It's a good and informative write-up. In addition, I still recommend the nice paperback book:

Leonard Koren: Wabi-Sabi (1994), Stone Bridge Press, Berkeley, CA, USA.

--Joe

wab_sab_cover.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:29 am

Well, yesterday I found a broken art-plate in an alley here in Tucson during the heat of the day. It's signed on the back by an artist in Mexico.

I thought I had to rescue this fragment from obscurity. I searched for many meters for the other "half", the missing fragment, but did not find it. Oh, well, I can't simply repair it then and restore it to its full original glory, I suppose.

As it is now, the fragment is shaped a bit like the continent of Australia.

This platter is very thick, and very nicely made. I suppose I will fashion a heavy base of wood, with an appropriate notch planed into it to accept the edge of the plate, and hold the plate upright for viewing without falling over. This will take a little bit of design and doing.

Alternatively, I could fashion a blank plaster replacement for the "missing-half", and affix it to the piece. It would look stark!

I don't know which way I will go, today. But, I think, the former way.

--Joe

plate_mex_broken.jpg
desert_woodworker

PreviousNext

Return to Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture