Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:16 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture

"Wabi-Sabi"

Re: "Wabi-Sabi"

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:07 am

Joe,
I'm seeing water... perhaps a waterfall, a pond that you could create. I'd say don't attempt to add or repair, it's quite beautiful... and authentic!! see it?
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:24 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Well, yesterday I found a broken art-plate in an alley here in Tucson during the heat of the day. It's signed on the back by an artist in Mexico.

I thought I had to rescue this fragment from obscurity. I searched for many meters for the other "half", the missing fragment, but did not find it. Oh, well, I can't simply repair it then and restore it to its full original glory, I suppose.

As it is now, the fragment is shaped a bit like the continent of Australia.

This platter is very thick, and very nicely made. I suppose I will fashion a heavy base of wood, with an appropriate notch planed into it to accept the edge of the plate, and hold the plate upright for viewing without falling over. This will take a little bit of design and doing.

Alternatively, I could fashion a blank plaster replacement for the "missing-half", and affix it to the piece. It would look stark!

I don't know which way I will go, today. But, I think, the former way.

--Joe

plate_mex_broken.jpg

very nice as it is. great find!
gg
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks, Linda. Well, I think in saw-dust, so wood came to mind, first. :lol2:

Water seems natural to the plate's color-scheme, yes, I see that.

Time will tell, after the "spirit" moves, on this. I'll post again.

:Namaste:,

--Joe

ps a wood-base of course would be removable, and would hide the cracked edge. It would still be Wabi-Sabi!

Linda Anderson wrote:I'm seeing water... perhaps a waterfall, a pond that you could create. I'd say don't attempt to add or repair, it's quite beautiful... and authentic!! see it?
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Guo Gu,

Guo Gu wrote:
plate_mex_broken.jpg

very nice as it is. great find!

Thanks! I agree. Because I'm grateful for finding it, I feel I must "exalt" it slightly, by showing some outward care toward it. Like, a wood base, to stand it on edge for viewing.

Hmm, and now I'm thinking that if I repair one of the Adobe walls here, I may set it into the wall, like a decorative "tile". But the back of the plate is beautiful, too, and the object begs to be held in the hands, and hefted. Like a cute baby!

:lol2:

Guo Gu, it's very good to see you here again.

:Namaste:,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:42 pm

A thief or thieves "lifted" my fine street bike of 29 years from my backyard shed, in broad daylight, last Tuesday. That bike got me through grad-school in New York, and I used it afterwards to commute to work in Arizona for 23 years (I NEVER used the car, even ONCE).

The old Rahleigh had 18000 miles on it, and cost $250 US in 1986. Double-butted Reynolds steel tubing, in a lugged- and brazed (not welded- ) frame, the biggest frame they made, to fit my own frame (body). Well, gone. Between 2 PM and 4 PM, last Tues. Sheesh.

Not one to cry much in my beer and dilute it, I set to work trying to recover. I visited "Trek Bicycles of Tucson" the next day. OK, $350 for a bike with straight handle-bars, and $800 for a bike with drop bars, such as the one I'd just lost. Hmm. I demurred. But I'd done my research.

Back home, I dug up parts of bikes I'd found, over a few decades, and threw them on a rug outside. I thought I had the makings of "a bike".

But the frame is a Women's frame. Hmm. Should I use it?

Sure. I'll call it a "Unisex-frame", ...and that will win me new friends.

Well, I ordered some rubber tires and tubes and "Mr. Tuffy" anti-puncture tire insert strips, and it's all about to go together tomorrow.

The frame is "too small" for me, by about three inches (!), but I will raise the seat (saddle), and handle bars. I'll safeguard this new iron-horse inside my house, and no longer in the shed.

I call it Wabi-Sabi because this project is mostly the incorporation of found and cast-off parts that were not meant to go together. But I bet the bike will look great, and perform like a dream. The frame is HEAVY, though!, since it's not just the usual "triangle" form of a Men's frame, but has some extra support tubes.

Police will probably never recover my stolen bike. Gee, it's hard to cut oneself off from appreciation of a loyal, trusted tool, or asset. Such is Life! Even WE have got to "go", sumptime... . I'm taking this as a part of my practice, of course.

See the non-periodic-table of the bicycle elements, below! ;)

--Joe

wabi_sabi_bike_pieces_parts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Gee, it's hard to cut oneself off from appreciation of a loyal, trusted tool, or asset

Oh, how I relate to this :blush:
Michaeljc

Postby littletsu on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:48 am

Sometime in my late childhood I had a monkey shaped tea mug (try to imagine that, haha) that I liked so much I always placed it next to my bed for the night. One night I stretched my hand out to hold it one more time and somehow broke it. I started crying, but at the same time I realized how stupid it was to cry ("like a baby") for lost things, especially material objects and this loosened up my attachment to quite a degree...I think the key to it was an extended childlike attachment, which probably other kids didnt even have at that age anymore. So maybe carrying around a "weakness" for too long can be a good kind of disadvantage. But what do I know? I am still a kid compared to some people here .)

Sorry, it's off-topic, I just thought to share it, related to attachment.

Or maybe a new definition of wabi-sabi: an indulgence in things that are broken and stayed longer with us than they were supposed to : D
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:39 pm

She's a beauty Joe.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:A thief or thieves "lifted" my fine street bike of 29 years from my backyard shed, in broad daylight, last Tuesday. That bike got me through grad-school in New York, and I used it afterwards to commute to work in Arizona for 23 years (I NEVER used the car, even ONCE).

The old Rahleigh had 18000 miles on it, and cost $250 US in 1986. Double-butted Reynolds steel tubing, in a lugged- and brazed (not welded- ) frame, the biggest frame they made, to fit my own frame (body). Well, gone. Between 2 PM and 4 PM, last Tues. Sheesh.

Not one to cry much in my beer and dilute it, I set to work trying to recover. I visited "Trek Bicycles of Tucson" the next day. OK, $350 for a bike with straight handle-bars, and $800 for a bike with drop bars, such as the one I'd just lost. Hmm. I demurred. But I'd done my research.

Back home, I dug up parts of bikes I'd found, over a few decades, and threw them on a rug outside. I thought I had the makings of "a bike".

But the frame is a Women's frame. Hmm. Should I use it?

Sure. I'll call it a "Unisex-frame", ...and that will win me new friends.

Well, I ordered some rubber tires and tubes and "Mr. Tuffy" anti-puncture tire insert strips, and it's all about to go together tomorrow.

The frame is "too small" for me, by about three inches (!), but I will raise the seat (saddle), and handle bars. I'll safeguard this new iron-horse inside my house, and no longer in the shed.

I call it Wabi-Sabi because this project is mostly the incorporation of found and cast-off parts that were not meant to go together. But I bet the bike will look great, and perform like a dream. The frame is HEAVY, though!, since it's not just the usual "triangle" form of a Men's frame, but has some extra support tubes.

Police will probably never recover my stolen bike. Gee, it's hard to cut oneself off from appreciation of a loyal, trusted tool, or asset. Such is Life! Even WE have got to "go", sumptime... . I'm taking this as a part of my practice, of course.

See the non-periodic-table of the bicycle elements, below! ;)

--Joe

wabi_sabi_bike_pieces_parts.JPG

Doing best with what's left, many times over .. and over again- She's already a beauty- Enjoy!

Recently, I dealt with the loss of a precious face, my attachment to its expressions, all while experiencing gratitude for the new- It's moved me to tears, many times- And I don't mind! Sadness or joy, a roller-coaster of both- Even though, some day, we all have to go! I'm beyond words, I think, because he's still here- Even people can be wabi-sabi-ed ..
partofit22

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 pm

fukasetsu wrote:She's a beauty Joe.

Wow Joe, do you realise the significance of this?

- a Dutchman complimenting you on your bike !

Once in Germany the lady of the house had THE modern-classic Dutch bike parked in the shed

I was not permitted to ride it

I was permitted to drive the $100,000 tractor :blush:
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 am

Fuki, partofit-Teresa, Michael,

Thank you all. It eases my ache a little to have your comments. That bike I lost was an amazement to me, from the first day. I never knew there could be such a perfect fit of, well, body to bike. The largest frame I ever saw! And of course I adjusted its parts "just right" over the 29-year period of use, and rebuilt and replaced various wearing-parts over the three decades, always to the point of feeling "rejuvenated" myself.

I saw the empty space in the shed and felt sick at the pit of my stomach for a few hours. But then, I started to bring out the parts of bikes I'd found over the years, to see if I could completely cobble-together a fitting replacement. Yet to be seen! But I'm enthusiastic. Or, as we might say, "I'm PUMPED". No, not my stomach. I got over that queasiness. :lol2: But I still cringe on occasion on a daily basis when I recall that the old bike is gone for sure.

Michael, a supervisor of mine in my work in Planetary Astronomy was Dutch, and raised his family in USA since 1950. He passed away a few years ago. A pioneer. He himself rode his bike to the Lab daily, as I did. My office was next door to his for my 18 years on the project. We saw eye-to-eye on bikes, if not always on Science. He had a swami in India! He castigated me being a Zen Buddhist, and thought we "meditated" too much, and did not have enough fun. I failed to assure him that I was having the fun I needed, and that the sangha needed, and that "meditation" is not our only practice! His swami advocated, "BE the SUN!", which he tried to reflect. Ever had a sunburn? May he rest in peace.

--Joe

Michaeljc wrote:
fukasetsu wrote:She's a beauty Joe.

Wow Joe, do you realise the significance of this?

- a Dutchman complimenting you on your bike !

Once in Germany the lady of the house had THE modern-classic Dutch bike parked in the shed

I was not permitted to ride it

I was permitted to drive the $100,000 tractor :blush:
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Sorry to hear about the bike

Be aware that the thief came and stole one's bike ...
They may return for something else ...

One is looking at a replacement ... while another is looking for a second chance

It always amazed me ...
When I saw a poster that said, "You can't argue with a sick mind"

Does it mean that one can not argue with another who has a sick mind??
Or does it mean that one can not argue if one's mind is sick??
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Av,

Avisitor wrote:Does it mean that one can not argue with another who has a sick mind??

I'd say No, and no. You can always argue! But the two parties may not come to agreement in any case, whether or not one or the other, or both, may have a "sick mind". Agreement may be more likely if there's no mind-sickness, but still can't be assured.

What kind of mind-sickness do you have in mind? :tongueincheek: I saw a huge fat tome in the used bookstore the other day, a Diagnostic Manual, IVth edition, a revision, but didn't take a look inside.

Avisitor wrote:They may return for something else ...

Right. I've got it secured better, now. It's basically a tool-shed. Nothing too valuable in there that a thief could turn into ready cash. The old bike was the exception. The new bike will be safeguarded inside the house, instead.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby A Philosopher on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 pm

A LEISURELY STROLL HOME

Another dawn, another step, another stroll through the fog on the very line of the surf. A jacket on my back for the wind is strong and the clouds heavy with rain. Good for the scorched Texan soil. But we do not want a down pour to interrupt our roam too much. The dogs follow in a perfect pack formation, in a good rhythm, not too fast and not too slow. Sappho on the East side, on the side of the sea. Molly on the dryer West side. Their paws turning around in this ethereal rhythm that inspired someone to paint the yin-yang sign.

They like this weather, we all do. It's warm enough to wet a paw and a tail in the surf but not too hot for a long gallop along the shore to chase Sanderlings flying forth and back, disappearing, melting into thick fog.

All of the sudden the sky breaks in half, opens up, and the bright light fills in the world. Yet we do not hear any voices, no one sings soft and uplifting tunes, no mysterious truths are revealed. Just a man and two dogs walking in silence, one foot in the water one foot on the sand

a foggy dawn
    the leisurely stroll through waves
    taking us home

Last edited by A Philosopher on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Philosopher

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Joe,
Have you thought about writing a request for the thief to return your bike... as you explained above. IF it is seen by the thief, who knows, it might be a teaching for them, who knows. no hope, just a simple request. dunno
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks, Linda. :Namaste: I wouldn't know where to publish such a note, though.

It's a week since the theft. The thief may have turned-around a deal with a "fence", and gotten cash by now. It may be too late.

But if I see the bike being ridden, I'll know what to do.

--Joe

Linda Anderson wrote:Have you thought about writing a request for the thief to return your bike... as you explained above. IF it is seen by the thief, who knows, it might be a teaching for them, who knows. no hope, just a simple request. dunno
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 pm

@ Philosopher

Nice post Phil :heya:
Michaeljc

Postby Avisitor on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:39 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Avisitor wrote:Does it mean that one can not argue with another who has a sick mind??

I'd say No, and no. You can always argue!
--Joe

And that is the sign of a sick mind ... to want to argue no matter the result... hahaha
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby partofit22 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:05 am

A Philosopher wrote:

My favorite
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:19 am

a Phil, P., Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:My favorite

I see it as an Ocean Dragon.

'tis well seen, too, in the first pic, off in the distance. Looks like the Loch Ness "Monster", in shallow water there.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

PreviousNext

Return to Book & Film reviews, Art, Music, & Culture