Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Fun and Games

Trade Game

Trade Game

Postby flutemaker on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Looking like ceramic balls about 5 mm diameter. Found them scattered at a side of a dirt road. Not farther than 5 meters from the first to the last one found. Two pictures showing how they lie on the ground.

2017-08-16 18.43.43.jpg

2017-08-16 18.42.31.jpg

2017-08-16 18.46.10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flutemaker

Re: Trade Game

Postby flutemaker on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

20170816_132231.jpg
20170816_132255.jpg

Here is the dirt road.

68 balls for trade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 pm

FM,

A kind of non-toxic "bird-shot"?

Size seems almost that of .22 caliber "BB"-shot.

I know that Lead metal (Pb) is eschewed lately because of its environmental toxicity; but I thought that alloys of Tin metal (Sn) were replacements, now, in shotgun shells. Maybe ceramic shot is used in some cases??

Interesting "find" of yours, there.

--Joe

p.s. I think that such ceramic shot is used sometimes inside flower pots as material to help drainage of water from the soil of the pot so the plant roots do not rest in water and become deprived of oxygen, or are not killed by a buildup of salt minerals from tap-water used to water the house-plant.

p.p.s. Ceramic shot is also used in manufacturing to "fire" at high speed at finished machine parts to harden them by mechanical "work-hardening", in a process called "peening". yes, I'd say that what you may have there is a partial handful of ceramic "peening-shot". Metal alloy parts that are routinely "shot-peened" are often primarily made of hard steel, titanium, or aluminum.
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Size seems almost that of .22 caliber "BB"-shot.

Joe,

Could that be just ceramic balls for bearings?

Lots of folks there are using chainsaw, could it be from a failed one? Or a failed motorbike / bicycle part?

Still curious what that thing is.

During one of my short "expeditions" out the city, sitting on a wooden log for a couple minutes (or maybe hours), when opened my eyes -- I noticed some of the small stones scattered around are like small balls. Started collected them. If they was the answer to my inquiry I was sitting with. You know..

Collected them all. They were only near the spot I was sitting at.
flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 pm

flutemaker wrote:Could that be just ceramic balls for bearings?

Yes! I'd considered that, but wasn't sure that ceramics are ever used as bearings. I searched on the Web and find that it is so! (they ARE).

If the spheres you found are from bearings, we could expect that they would all be of uniform size (diameter... ). I wonder if you have a precision measuring tool, such as a micrometer, or caliper, to measure them with. We could expect that the balls would also be of some "standard" diameter, such as a whole-number of millimeters, and precisely so. For example, 5.00 mm? I hope you might be able to measure them closely. But if they are indeed ball bearings, they may have worn-down to a little smaller size, and maybe that's why the bearing broke apart, and the balls were lost.

What would Sherlock Holmes suggest? I think he'd want to measure them closely, and see if they are highly uniform in dimension, one to the other (even if there has been "wear"... erosion of the spheres).

best,

--Joe

p.s. INTERESTING!, about the sitting, and how the spheres appeared almost as if in response to your inquiry. Yes, I know how it can be... . ;)

p.p.s. Careful!, in case they "hatch". Yes, I've seen too many Science-Fiction movies about "Aliens"... . :tongueincheek:
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 pm

desert_woodworker wrote: I'd considered that, but wasn't sure that ceramics are ever used as bearings. I searched on the Web and find that it is so! (they ARE).

So did I. Yesterday. My knowledge with respect to these appeared to be way too outdated. I thought they must be steel only. As in my bicycle when I was young.

But yes, they are of the same "caliber". Seemingly. No, I have no precise tools, but I think they are 5 mm.

Must be good filling for a percussion instrument. I must put them into a hollow section of bamboo and seal inside.

And play. And then all the inquiries have chances to resolve... depends on the volume of the instrument.. and the rhythm...

flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

FM,

There are at least a few other common uses (applications) for the small ceramic balls!:

As "pie-crust" weights, for baking a pie crust or Linzer Tart crust before later filling it with fruit, etc., to retain the shape of the crust in the pie-pan, and prevent the pie-crust from developing "bubbles" while it bakes:
http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Bak ... amic+balls

and:

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Weights-1 ... amic+balls

As some sort of influence on water, in water-filters:
http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Media-Neg ... amic+balls

It seems that Zirconium Oxide may be the ceramic material used. Very "Space-Age" material.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

20170819_145856.jpg

For trade.

For a quick in breath of the desert air.
flutemaker

Return to Fun and Games