Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Fun and Games

karma ghost

karma ghost

Postby littletsu on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Here we see karma as a neutral force that can take on different functions. Is this compatible with Buddhism?
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Re: karma ghost

Postby Avisitor on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 pm

As far as I know, Karma is not an outside agency that dispenses justice
That Karma is more like the wake or wave of the water as one passes through life
This wave links one another together
And in a storm of waves that passes through, it presents the balance that the universe holds for all

But, ghosts seems like another way of saying it too ... :)X :lool:
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 pm

littletsu wrote:Here we see karma as a neutral force that can take on different functions. Is this compatible with Buddhism?

Karma is a way of thinking, so the compatibility depends on the thoughts arising compared (associated) with a set picture of common 'facts' about Buddhism, individual interpretation or locked up ideals (in which case it doesnt matter) so yes or no depends on the one answering.
I can't answer yes or no, since I have no locked picture of Buddhism or karma.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 pm

littletsu wrote:Here we see karma as a neutral force that can take on different functions. Is this compatible with Buddhism?

Bearing in mind that this is a very very very simplistic cartoon of karma, it is "compatible" with Buddha Dharma. It does not by any stretch of the imagination give a full or realistic articulation of karma, but it is not necessarily incompatible with the actual facts of karma. It's fun, and hopefully will invite people to inquire more about karma.

If someone were to think that this is all there is to karma, then it would be incompatible with Buddha Dharma.

Karma as a "force" or "influence" is neutral in itself, that is, there is no "morality" to it. Cause and effects, karma and its fruits, occur as forces of nature, and are neutral in the way that a spring breeze or a hurricane are neutral, even though their effects are appreciated or feared as if they were moral forces of nature.

Other fun and games about karma in our culture:

On this version of Instant Karma, note the image that Yoko Ono is contributing by crocheting blindfolded.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:16 am

At the same time the idea of neutral only designates the extremes, folks often grasp at the concept on karma being neutral based on a monotheistic background or just the common ghost of duality infants already are confronted with, neutral is fine but in the end it doesn't matter how we define it, for it is never what we think it to be.

dogen zenji 1.jpg

The great error practitioners make is not realizing the waking state is in itself false.

No one even understands gravity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Just saw this in the news ..

“What if most Holocaust victims were balancing their karma from ages before, when they were Roman soldiers putting Christians to death, the Crusaders who murdered millions in the name of Christianity, soldiers with Hannibal, or those who stormed across the Near East with Alexander?

“The energy of killing is endless and will be experienced by the killer and the killee.” -- Shirley Maclaine

A quote from her new book What If ..

"The energy of killing is endless .." That struck me- I thought all things were temporary-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:37 pm

I'd say it's NOT an "error".

And, I would not say it's an error. :heya:

If a person cannot or does not wake up to the true mind -- or should audaciously deny that there is any such to uncover -- then it is more likely because he or she does not have a true teacher, and does not practice the true Dharma.

While, at the same time, correct practice takes time to change us and to work to clarify our original face; or, to make us susceptible to the sudden awakening characteristic in Zen Buddhist circles. And true practice requires good cooperating conditions, besides. It's not a solo undertaking. The whole world must be on your side.

So, one needs patience, stamina, resilience, strength, grace, compassion, and grit. And one must just forget about awakening, and put all of one's eggs into the basket of "practice". I say "must", but there may be other ways and wrinkles. The universe can be forgiving.

--Joe

ps (my Cat's understanding of gravity is a perfectly good operational one. As good as mine, or better. As good as Einstein's was. The Moon understands gravity: it stays in orbit about the Earth. Tides rise and fall in the ocean, twice a day, on the Great Earth. Not just upon the compliant waters, but upon and within the solid Earth itself (Google "Earth Tides", for example) ).

fukasetsu wrote:The great error practitioners make is not realizing the waking state is in itself false.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm

I'd say their tortures and deaths were nonetheless horrible, regardless of whether the Universe had it in for them or not. --Joe

partofit22 wrote:Just saw this in the news ..

“What if most Holocaust victims were balancing their karma from ages before, when they were Roman soldiers putting Christians to death, the Crusaders who murdered millions in the name of Christianity, soldiers with Hannibal, or those who stormed across the Near East with Alexander?
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:43 pm

“The energy of killing is endless and will be experienced by the killer and the killee.” -- Shirley Maclaine

There is this balance of Karma ... that it is more about letting one experience what is available
Roman soldiers gave the experience of that kind of death to the Christians
And karma gave the experience of that kind of death to them ... a balance
There is no justice or vengeance or malice or such ... only balance

Balance the world on the head of a pin
Or float like the ghost to make sense of the actions of people
Guess it is all dependent on the eye of the beholder

Eh, being crazy doesn't make it wrong???
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Return to Fun and Games